Physical PlayStation Vita games to stop being produced by March 2019

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 16, 2018.

Front-page
    ncPSvita-01.jpg

Sony of America and Sony of Europe are looking to finally put the PlayStation Vita to rest. Both branches of the company have announced that all physical PlayStation Vita games will stop being made entirely by March of 2019. For developers still making games on the system, there's a time limit until June 28 of this year to request physical copies be printed. Digital games can and still will be released, but it's clear that Sony is trying to put the Vita firmly out to pasture, six years after its original launch in 2012.

Discussion (45 replies)
  1. Yepi69

Yepi69 Jill-sandwiched

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Oh no, I can expect physical releases getting high prices.

Eix likes this.
  2. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    ~/
    What about Sony of Japan? Will there still be physical Japan carts?

Eix and VitaType like this.
  3. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Guess that means the hack for 3.68 isn't going to be released this year anymore then, but I assume TheFl0w will release it short after the printing of carts stops.

4. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    B-but Vita means life!

I have a good collection of physical games for my vita but I still lack some titles that I want to have so I should be quick and grab them before the prices go up.

Eix likes this.
  5. uiaad

uiaad GBATemp's resident guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    The vita really was an underrated system, maybe I should dig out my dev cap again

Last edited by uiaad, May 16, 2018 - Reason: Typos, typos and more typos
    whateverg1012 likes this.
  6. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    I honestly didn't know they were still making physical Vita games in America and Europe. I never see the games on shelves at any stores, I assumed all games still coming out, outside of Japan, were digital only. Now I'm curious where all the physical Vita games have been getting shipped. I feel like even Gamestop's don't seem to have new Vita games on the shelves, but then again, I haven't really gone out of my way to look at their selection for the system specifically, so maybe they have indeed been receiving and selling the new physical games.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    Sad... my vita physical collection is the largest game collection I own. I'll have to grab Catherine when it comes out and Demon Gaze II before they are gone for good.

GameStop doesn't have them on shelves, but they are in their cabinets if you ask.

damiano2712 likes this.
  8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The PS vita had games? Seriously, I'm surprised it took this long.

Friendsxix likes this.
  9. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Adding into it...

It had games, but most non-indie one's are a piece of junk software.

I've got a Vita, but I use it mainly for emulation (PSX/PSP, old glories). As I've always said, official Vita games are anime-based junk, even though I like anime a lot.

10. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    guess I'll post the kat capture card program to filetrip since the system's EOL is in sight.

11. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    The end of the Vita era..

CallmeBerto likes this.
  12. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    That is funny, there is no PS Vita section on filetrip.

---

I guess you call it "the system that shall not be named" on filetrip, I guess?

Last edited by how_do_i_do_that, May 16, 2018
  13. chirogan

chirogan The Engineer

Feb 28, 2018
    Philippines
    The people estimated time of release around end of 2018 or early 2019 but thefl0w made it clear that he is carefully watching for the vitas End of Life (EOL). It was clearly stated it on one of his tweets.

Removal of the PSvita on PSN plus gave it a date. This is another confirmation that we will most probably get thefl0w's work on march 2019 the earliest.

Last edited by chirogan, May 16, 2018
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    An anti-anime bunker
    Hmm....
    not sure how I feel about this. It's weird looking at old consoles like the Dreamcast, NES, and 2600 and seeing that even to this day, people are making games for them. But with the vita, indie developers and weebs won't be able to put there games out physically anymore.

While the market is sadly moving more towards only digital software, there is still a large amount of people who love having physical versions of games. Heck, I spent $50 bucks on the Japanese version of Shantae and the pirates curse, just because i wanted a physical copy despite me already owning the game.

This is pretty sad. We can only hope that one day, developers may be able to make games for the vita and sell them online without going through Sony. We would need to figure out how to make cartridges but maybe one day, it could happen.....

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It was supposed to be a joke..*sigh* oh well.

16. chirogan

chirogan The Engineer

Feb 28, 2018
    Philippines
    Handheld game market proved to be a huge market. (Looking at the switch, 3ds, it is clearly is) . Maybe this is a great chance to introduce another handheld from sony. With the 3ds nearing its EOL as well and the switch aimed towards a home console experience and its price point being really high, a fairly priced handheld would be wonderful. theres no better time than now SONY. what kind of hint do they still want? Hrmm. Nintendo and sony offers different genre of games. Bringing up the competition to a whole new level is a way to boost you up sony.

17. PICTOCHAT

PICTOCHAT Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2017
    Antarctica
    I can't help but feel sad for the system...
    I am curious if SCE Japan will continue to allow physical cart production. After all, only Sony America and Sony Europe are mentioned...

18. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Typical sony

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    RIP limitedrungames vita releases lol, they always made vita phisical copys i guess only can order like one or 2 more releases.