Physical PlayStation Vita games to stop being produced by March 2019

ncPSvita-01.jpg

Sony of America and Sony of Europe are looking to finally put the PlayStation Vita to rest. Both branches of the company have announced that all physical PlayStation Vita games will stop being made entirely by March of 2019. For developers still making games on the system, there's a time limit until June 28 of this year to request physical copies be printed. Digital games can and still will be released, but it's clear that Sony is trying to put the Vita firmly out to pasture, six years after its original launch in 2012.

D

Deleted User

its easy to see why.

1st- the price, it was preety damn high for a portable at a time, people complained the 3ds released one year prior was already too expensive for a portable at 250 thats why nintendo 6 months latter droped the price to 170$ and then vita came one year later at 300(basicaly almost double the price of 3ds), heck it costed more than preety much any other console at a time portable or not.

2-Memory cards, sony yet again instead of using regular micro or sd cards like nintendo did made up their own memory cards and they are more expensive than games, with little storage really and vita basicaly needing them since almost every game installs a huge chunk of it on internal memory, unlike 3ds wich is just updates and very rarely needs an install outside of the cartrige, you would end up paying over 80$ for a 32gb card its ridiculous i remenber 4gb cards were like 20$ and that could fit maybe 3 games if they didnt install much ...

3-Exclusive games are rare and very poor quality, seriouly if you can name 5 good exclsuive games that were released outside of japan you will be listing already crappy games, vita only had indie games and some ports here and there, there isnt a single game you go out and say i need to own a vita to play this game.

I agree on the price and memorycard but 5 exclusives that matter shouldn‘t be that hard to mention (Golden Abyss, Killzone,
I remember buying a used 16GB card for 35€ here.

As for your third point. Good exclusives *are* a thing, but meh. At least one of them was an exclusive until Sony decided to remaster it for a system they didn't consider dead.

The exusive thing is difficult because nearly every great vita game got ported to ps3/4. I love Tales of hearts, Muramasa, Dragon‘s crown, Persona and Odin‘s Sphere on the vita because they play really great on the portable system (OLED colors are awesome)
At least Killzonr and Golden Abyss seem to remain as system exclusives by Sony

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I agree on the price and memorycard but 5 exclusives that matter shouldn‘t be that hard to mention (Golden Abyss, Killzone,

The exusive thing is difficult because nearly every great vita game got ported to ps3/4. I love Tales of hearts, Muramasa, Dragon‘s crown, Persona and Odin‘s Sphere on the vita because they play really great on the portable system (OLED colors are awesome)
At least Killzonr and Golden Abyss seem to remain as system exclusives by Sony
so you can only find 2 exclusive games that werent ported and are not jap only worth it this shows how weak the console library is realy.

that is a thing that failed miserably, no noable games worth buying the console for really.

D

Deleted User

so you can only find 2 exclusive games that werent ported and are not jap only worth it this shows how weak the console library is realy.

that is a thing that failed miserably, no noable games worth buying the console for really.
For me it‘s not only about exclusivity - vita has often the best version for me (e.g. Tear away best played on vita, same for lbp or other touch/camera featured games)
Hardware looks and feels awesome and qualitywise it beats other handhelds (maybe i‘m a bit biased)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For me it‘s not only about exclusivity - vita has often the best version for me (e.g. Tear away best played on vita, same for lbp or other touch/camera featured games)
Hardware looks and feels awesome and qualitywise it beats other handhelds (maybe i‘m a bit biased)
what other handhelds? the 3ds? becuase that was the only one around lol and yeah vita was more powerful no wonder it beated the 3ds.

if you got a console with bare minimum exclusives that costed 300 bucks at launch there is no incentive to buy it, thats why people skipped it, and like yourself said you had an hard time finding 5 exclusives that werent ported with better graphics to ps3/ps4 that came out on the west that are worth it.

In the end games sell consoles, if you dont have a killer app your console is dead in the water, this was vita downfall not a single killer app, playing better in your opinion on the vita doesnt make it worth to buy it for most people.

vita has been exclusive indie machine for years, you cant even make a top 10 vita games without selecting indie games(that again are also on consoles).

D

Deleted User

what other handhelds? the 3ds? becuase that was the only one around lol and yeah vita was more powerful no wonder it beated the 3ds.

if you got a console with bare minimum exclusives that costed 300 bucks at launch there is no incentive to buy it, thats why people skipped it, and like yourself said you had an hard time finding 5 exclusives that werent ported with better graphics to ps3/ps4 that came out on the west that are worth it.

In the end games sell consoles, if you dont have a killer app your console is dead in the water, this was vita downfall not a single killer app, playing better in your opinion on the vita doesnt make it worth to buy it for most people.

vita has been exclusive indie machine for years, you cant even make a top 10 vita games without selecting indie games(that again are also on consoles).
But that‘s on Sony and not on the devs - the console is solid, Sony stripped it of nearly all (social) apps making it less attractive over time.

Last edited by ,

Dreamhigh1708

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sad they're going to discontinue the PSVita... I like playing on a handheld console, traveling around with it too, and the games I go for only run for Playstation systems... Now that the PSVita games are planned to be discontinued, I'll only have the PS4 as an option... I mean Zanki Zero which was announced in March I think, already did announce it would be PS4 and Steam only... coming from a company that specializes in japanese visual novels, it says a lot I think... I would love a Switch-like handheld from Sony so I could also have a handheld alternative on top of PS4 games.
I noticed something was wrong a few days ago, I noticed the games I had planned to buy were already more difficult to find, and more expensive coming from retailers, I hurried to buy those I wanted the most, but now that I understand why it's happening, I guess I'll really have to rush and buy what I wanted fast...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, what's pokerogue?