Gaming Photofast CR-5400 - won't format!

crazylegs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manobon said:
okay- Just received the RMA-returned CR-5400 today and...holy crap it works! =^D 15GB to use (well, 11GB now, but still).

Mine was tested by shopdigi with a kingston 8GB and 1GB (1GB?) in conjunction...I'm using the same cards as before. We'll see if my system continues to recognize the space when I add new games, turn on the system after a while, etc. but I'm hoping there are no future problems.

I think what might've been the issue was that...the CR-5400 Is as fragile as the packaging says it is...meaning, Always handle it by the edges (like holding a photo, instead of getting thumbprints/smudges onto it).

As far as a reliable microsdhc ->pro duo adapter... the thing I got from newegg.com or mobymemory (As aforementioned) works like a charm with my 8GB class 6 A-DATA card and anything/everything else. Anyway, I have to get back to apartment hunting and other stuff (like adding isos/csos of games i've been missing out on!).

I'll post again after a few days/removals of the card to verify if it still reads well, and whatnot. Laters!

monabon is yours a slim or a fat psp...? I just received 2 CR-5400 both tested on a slim.. Both worked out of the box on my fat PSP. I figured out what was killing my 5400s by killing one of them.. It seems that if you power "ON" the PSP with the 5400 inside it loops the cards. You have remove the 5400 before you power the PSP on. I think that the card reader inside the Fat PSP has higher voltage then the slim. If that is the case then these things are REALLY fragile and my days are numbered with the wear and tear it will cause by me inserting and removing the cards. I going to test this with my CR-3100 to see if i can power on the PSP with it still inside..

Scalpos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I received last friday two PhotoFast CR-5400 from Rejoy.se (first order for me). I unboxed and tested one without problem using a 8GB Class 4 Kingston microSDHC. The second CR-5400 was for a friend and unfortunately, it is faulty with same symptoms as described before: endless slow orange blinks... The adapter is correctly recognised by a USB PC MS card reader and the content can be modified, but the PSP considers there is no MS card when the adapter is inserted, whatever the microsd I put in it. I tried with 3 different fat PSPs one different firmwares (3.80 M33 and 4.01 M33-2), and 3 microsds (1, 2, and 8GB japanese Kingston).

I'm currently waiting for an answer from Rejoy.se after their last advice: "Please notice that you need to format the microSD card using a SONY product, like PSP", quite hard when the adapter is not seen by the PSP
wacko.gif

crazylegs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scalpos said:
I received last friday two PhotoFast CR-5400 from Rejoy.se (first order for me). I unboxed and tested one without problem using a 8GB Class 4 Kingston microSDHC. The second CR-5400 was for a friend and unfortunately, it is faulty with same symptoms as described before: endless slow orange blinks... The adapter is correctly recognised by a USB PC MS card reader and the content can be modified, but the PSP considers there is no MS card when the adapter is inserted, whatever the microsd I put in it. I tried with 3 different fat PSPs one different firmwares (3.80 M33 and 4.01 M33-2), and 3 microsds (1, 2, and 8GB japanese Kingston).

I'm currently waiting for an answer from Rejoy.se after their last advice: "Please notice that you need to format the microSD card using a SONY product, like PSP", quite hard when the adapter is not seen by the PSP
wacko.gif

Good to hear im not crazy about the Fat PSP having problems with the CR-5400's.... Make sure you dont power on the PSP with the CR-5400 inside.. that seems to loop cards. Insert it after your power on the PSP. I think the card readers in the fat psp have higher voltage than the slim. I think these things were designed around the slim PSP not the fat.

manobon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey crazylegs- yeah, it's a slim with CFW 4.01 M33-2 (i Think, I'm at work).

I've been taking the card out and re-inserting it, making sure to handle by edges...adding games, etc...and it's Still working great- tons of space, and it seems to run faster than my one-microsdhc-card-adapter.

I suggest buying this product, but being prepared for faulty shipments, unfortunately- but I guess that's kind of 'the nature of the beast' and all, when buying these types of products.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i want to buy this but i know i will accidentally power on my psp phat while the adapter's in there and regret it.. unless the batch has been fixed and this problem no longer occurs? i really need an adapter.

edit: actually i think i'll pass on this. £20 is a bit too much for an adapter.. i'ma look for a basic adapter.

danieldaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered one PhotoFast CR-5400 from Colourful Zone and waiting for it. The price is great and I hope i have a luck to get the good one.
smile.gif

BTW, they also have basic adapter from microsd/hc to ms pro duo, you can go to have a look at here.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
According to the specs, it mentions that 1 card can be used first and another can be added later on. But I presume you just can't add another to piggyback on the exisiting card with the data intact right? So if a 2nd card is added, I would need to format it with the PSP again?

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this the same one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16489

It's cheaper.

Edit: I'm interested in this as well.. but I have a PSP Phat. So.. that may screw me over. Is there any lag while playing games like God of War though? I wanna be able to purchase ones that don't have lag. That's a major downfall for me. Or are the no name brand and without magic gate 4gb pro duo at DX a better choice?

jelbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got my CR-5400 in from Colourfulzone and guess what: blinking leds, messages that no MS is found and no luck with my PC cardreader. Ugh.

Scalpos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
danieldaniel said:
I ordered one PhotoFast CR-5400 from Colourful Zone and waiting for it. The price is great and I hope i have a luck to get the good one.
smile.gif

BTW, they also have basic adapter from microsd/hc to ms pro duo, you can go to have a look at here.

I did not try to add a second microsd after using one microsd only, but I confirm, it is precised you can't just add an additionnal microsd, but you have to format the two microsds at the same time.

Scalpos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anakir said:
Is this the same one?

[url=http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16489]http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16489[/url]

It's cheaper.

Edit: I'm interested in this as well.. but I have a PSP Phat. So.. that may screw me over. Is there any lag while playing games like God of War though? I wanna be able to purchase ones that don't have lag. That's a major downfall for me. Or are the no name brand and without magic gate 4gb pro duo at DX a better choice?
It seems they are the same. I bought mine to Rejoy.se.
Playing it as CSO I have really rare lags on God of War using 2 microSDHC Class 4 Kingston (C08G Japan) de 8Go , but as ISO the lags are totally gone. It's the only game among all the others I tested/played having this minimal problem.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Bloodlust @ Nov 3 2008, 04:33 PM) Anyone noticed that the PSP drains more power when using this adapter?

I did not notice this, I'm quite happy with it.

Scalpos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
jelbo said:
Got my CR-5400 in from Colourfulzone and guess what: blinking leds, messages that no MS is found and no luck with my PC cardreader. Ugh.

Too bad for you jelbo. I received mine some days ago, back from RMA procedure, it works flawlessly.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use one of theese adapters, and I love it. I have a phat running gen d-3, and I have noticed that its a very flimsy product. What I did was take a piece of scotch tape and attached it to the side that does not have the contacts. What this does, aside from locking in the sd cards! It pushes the contacts tighter onto the psp contacts, works like a dream!

Also anytime you move the cards around, or add another you will have to reformat. So I just leave mine in and dont touch em!

D

Deleted User

foxgrey said:
I use one of theese adapters, and I love it. I have a phat running gen d-3, and I have noticed that its a very flimsy product. What I did was take a piece of scotch tape and attached it to the side that does not have the contacts. What this does, aside from locking in the sd cards! It pushes the contacts tighter onto the psp contacts, works like a dream!

Also anytime you move the cards around, or add another you will have to reformat. So I just leave mine in and dont touch em!

Same for me. I believe that the micro SD cards DO have to be of the same read/write "class". I definitely wouldn't take the micro-SD's out of the CR-5400
seeing as it really is quite flimsy, however, putting data on them through the PSP-USB has worked fine. I haven't noticed and dramatic speed-downs, though I have,
however, noticed a slight slow down upon exiting a game/application and exiting back to the XMB.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok my adapter arrived today, but I cant check it out yet. I will find out whats up with it. I got mine from ebay from quite a popular and trusted seller. I don't think the flimsy factor is such an issue, it's not really a piece of hardware that's going to get knocked around so much. Time will tell, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: In the early morning I got a fever and on top of that I can't stop thinking about killing...