Persona 5R teased, full reveal to come next year

Ever since the domain name for "P5R" was registered by Atlus in early 2017, rumors have been floating around, talking about a potential definitive edition of Persona 5. On December 30th, Atlus stole fans' hearts when they gave an incredibly vague trailer for Persona 5R. All that's known at this time is that Persona 5R is real, and that a full reveal will happen in March 2019.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way this isn't coming to switch. Nintendo wouldn't make DLC content just to advertise a new sony game.
why would they intentionally include the sony logo right at the beginning. also, final fantasy vii has been exclusive to sony game systems for years, not even till the next console gen was it anounced for a Nintendo system and yet cloud was in smash 4 which is back from the wii u

HOv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bummer. I was hoping there would be a switch release. I have P5 on PS4, it's a great game but this type of game seems like it would be a perfect fit for the switch for portability. I remember I put in hundreds of hours on P4G on my Vita because I was able to play it anywhere

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I still haven't played the original version. It seems a little soon to make a "definitive" version since the game released on a current gen console (PS4).
Not really. Persona 5 was originally on the PS3 and was at one point delayed because they started making a PS4 version. It released in Japan on September 15, 2016, while the worldwide release was on April 4th, 2017. I believe that's enough time to warrant a "Definitive Version" release at this point, more so with the type of DLC that was available. If they do add a significant amount of new content (like P3 FES, P3P, and P4G), it would be perfect.

Another game in a similar situation (as far as release dates are concerned) is Nier: Automata, which is getting a definitive version with bonus content released next year.

why would they intentionally include the sony logo right at the beginning. also, final fantasy vii has been exclusive to sony game systems for years, not even till the next console gen was it anounced for a Nintendo system and yet cloud was in smash 4 which is back from the wii u
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the same thing happened with the Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled announcement. The original trailer only had the PS4 logo, yet it's a multi-platform game. While it's true that Final Fantasy 7 wasn't on any Nintendo systems during the time both Smash 4 and its DLC were released, Cloud Strife (and co.) had already made an appearance in a couple of Nintendo games:
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (NPC)
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Playable character)
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Playable character)
  • Final Fantasy Explorers (Transformation)
The same goes for Joker (and his friends) who only has a single appearance on a Nintendo system at this time:
  • Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth (Protagonist)

Reactions: jt_1258

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually they registered Persona 5 S first. However both have used interchangeably in the rumors. Willing to bet the switch and Xbox version is S and an extended revisited version for the ps4 is R

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hear me out.

Persona 5 RACING.

or Persona 5 Red/Rouge or other words that start with R. Basically it's a definitive edition of P5 with more content

Reactions: BORTZ

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. Persona 5 was originally on the PS3 and was at one point delayed because they started making a PS4 version. It released in Japan on September 15, 2016, while the worldwide release was on April 4th, 2017. I believe that's enough time to warrant a "Definitive Version" release at this point, more so with the type of DLC that was available. If they do add a significant amount of new content (like P3 FES, P3P, and P4G), it would be perfect.

Another game in a similar situation (as far as release dates are concerned) is Nier: Automata, which is getting a definitive version with bonus content released next year.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the same thing happened with the Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled announcement. The original trailer only had the PS4 logo, yet it's a multi-platform game. While it's true that Final Fantasy 7 wasn't on any Nintendo systems during the time both Smash 4 and its DLC were released, Cloud Strife (and co.) had already made an appearance in a couple of Nintendo games:
  • Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (NPC)
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Playable character)
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Playable character)
  • Final Fantasy Explorers (Transformation)
The same goes for Joker (and his friends) who only has a single appearance on a Nintendo system at this time:
  • Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth (Protagonist)
ya, I'm familiar. but aposing my own point now it makes sense that a switch port is inbound as they easily could have said Joker from pq2 rather than p5 since pq2 is already on a Nintendo system as is and the character doesn't have to have there game outside of japan to be in the game.... cough cough earthbound 2

Reactions: KyleHyde

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i haven't played a persona game yet. i figure in 8 years I'll be able to play all the super definitive version of all the games on the ps6.

kidding aside, should i be playing these games in any particular order for story/plot reasons?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By that definition we'd get a new Castlevania or Metal Gear Solid game. Oh wait. One of them is now a gambling machine and the other is dying a slow painful death.

Completely agree, except that Castlevania and Metal Gear have been on previous Nintendo systems... that said, technically, so has Persona (PQ, PQ2)... with PQ2 being my best bet at justification for Joker being added to Smash.

The mainline Persona games have always been Sony exclusives, and I don't really see that changing.

As for what this is... My money would be on it being a "Game of the Year"/enhanced version of the original - and I'm fine with that. I bought the PS3 version before I owned a PS4, and as the two versions are essentially identical I felt no need to double dip - this may persuade me otherwise.

If it were to turn out to be a spinoff, I'd be hoping for another fighter, like P4A/P4UA, which may see it come to multiple systems... although Arc System Works have a pretty full roster of announced titles, so if it were to be a versus fighter I imagine it would be being developed by someone else.

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
i haven't played a persona game yet. i figure in 8 years I'll be able to play all the super definitive version of all the games on the ps6.

kidding aside, should i be playing these games in any particular order for story/plot reasons?
That depends on a couple of things, such as whether we're talking about the first trilogy of Persona games or the second. Both trilogies aren't connected (as far as I know), save for some references in Persona 3.

First Trilogy:
  • Persona (PS1, PSP Remake)
  • Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PS1 [Japan Only; Translation patch available], PSP Remake)
  • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1, PSP Remake [Japan Only])(Sequel to P2:IS)
The first trilogy is pretty old-school (even in the remakes), so the gameplay will be different compared to the second trilogy of games (ie. First person dungeon crawlers with RPG battles; battles use grid-based mechanics for attacks and character placement). If you feel like giving these a shot, please play the PSP remakes, unless you want to suffer through terrible Americanization in the PS1 releases and put up with tracks that (imo) don't fit the game's pace of combat at all. P2:IS and P2:EP are directly connected to each other. The PSP remakes contain new content, such as a different OST (Persona), balancing/overall improvements, and new scenarios. The PSP remake of P2:EP was never localized and the fan translation hasn't been finished (I have no idea if they're still working on it behind scenes or if it's safe to say it's dead), so you'll have to play the PS1 version of that particular game.

Second Trilogy:
  • Persona 3 (PS2)
  • - Persona 3: FES (PS2, PS3 [Port])(Definitive version of P3; Contains new epilogue: The Answer)
  • - Persona 3: Portable (PSP [Port])(Contains female MC and new content; lacks The Answer epilogue)
  • Persona 4 (PS2, PS3 [Port])
  • - Persona 4: Golden (PS Vita Remake)(Definitive version of P4; Contains a lot of new content)
  • -- Persona 4: Arena (PS3, Xbox 360)(Sequel to P4G; 2D fighting game]
  • -- Persona 4: Arena Ultimax (PS3, Xbox 360)(Sequel to P4A; 2D fighting game [P4A Story available via DLC])
  • -- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS)(First Person Dungeon Crawler RPG; Etrian Odyssey gameplay)
  • -- Persona 4: Dancing All Night (PS Vita, PS4)(Sequel to P4G: Rhythm game)
  • Persona 5 (PS3, PS4)
  • -- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth (3DS [Japan Only])(First Person Dungeon Crawler RPG; Etrian Odyssey gameplay)
Now here's where things get messy and can become rather overwhelming. Since there's a lot to talk about in regards to each numbered title (and its related games), I'll separate them into sections to keep their respective info in place. I won't mention any of the game's story. Long story short, play the main games before the spin-offs to avoid spoilers and the main games from the second trilogy can be played in any order since they're not direct sequels to each other.

Persona 3:
  • The game that did away with the old combat from the first trilogy and changed things up with its gameplay and story. You live your everyday school life at a dorm while moving the plot forward. The game's played in a Third Person view and battles are handled like your usual turn-based RPG with weaknesses and other mechanics that will help you turn the battle in your favor. Your party members can't be controlled directly, though you're allowed to change their tactics during battle. This game introduced the Social Link mechanic, where you can befriend certain NPCs and obtain access to new Personas to fuse and new skills for your party members (if you befriend them). The dungeons are explored at night, they have randomly generated floors, and there's a stamina/fatigue mechanic when you're exploring them. When the MC and/or your party members are tired, your characters will be weaker and more prone to getting beat up by enemies. When a party member is fatigued, they'll ask if they can leave for the night and will promptly leave the party if you give them the ok. You can only recover from fatigue by leaving the dungeon, which will make everyone return to the dorm and move onto the next day.
  • If you have a home console or an emulator and want to experience the definitive version of the game, give Persona 3: FES a try. It's the definitive version of P3 that contains a couple of changes (to name a few), such as new Personas to fuse, modified social links, and the new epilogue: The Answer. The Answer takes place directly after the ending of P3, whose story if called The Journey. If you have a PSP or a Vita and love playing on the go (or want to play as a girl, be able to control your party members, and experience a harder version of the game), check out Persona 3 Portable. P3P did away with the animated cutscenes and 3D exploration (save for dungeons), in turn presenting the game in a visual novel format. The game has further balancing compared to P3 and FES, such as allowing you to control your party members like in Persona 4, among many other changes. The dungeons from The Answer are present as an optional location during The Journey, but the story is completely absent from the game. This version of the game features a female version of the MC, whose story is pretty much a harder difficulty in itself and a what-if scenario. It offers different dialogue, new social links, different events, a couple of new tracks, and so on.
Persona 4:
  • This game improved upon the mechanics introduced in P3, bringing with it a lighter tone for its story that works with the characters and setting you're introduced to. It allows you to control your party members right from the start, though you're still allowed to change their tactics if you'd rather leave it up to the AI. Dungeons still contain random floors, but unlike P3, their designs are unique to each area of the game and relevant to the plot itself. The fatigue mechanic is gone and you're allowed to explore dungeons as long as you'd like, though you'll go back home once you exit the main dungeon hub. There are still social links, sidequests, and other activities to do as you progress through the story.
  • If you happen to have either a PS Vita or a PSTV, you should definitely play Persona 4: Golden instead. It rebooted the original story to make room for the new events and characters that were added, so P4G is the definitive/canon version of the story now. There's plenty of stuff to do in this game compared to the original and there's more in-game days to accomplish those tasks too. There are new tracks, locations, events, cutscenes, and more.
Persona 5:
  • Featuring even more overall improvements and additions to the game itself compared to all the previous titles, P5 features a stylish menu with a setup that's straight to the point and leaves some room for leisure. The game added back negotiation tactics to recruit Shadows during battles and guns, both of which have been absent since the first trilogy of Persona games. The main dungeons throughout the story have their own unique designs and floor layouts, doing away with the randomized floors that were a thing in P3 and P4. There's one particular dungeon in the game that features randomized floors, which is where some of your sidequests take place and where you'll spend most of your time training while you wait for the next main dungeon to become available. There's a lot DLC available for this game, though it's completely optional. Some of the DLC is free (ie. Japanese voices, new difficulty mode), while most of it is paid (ie. Unique Personas present in past games, outfits from past Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Atlus, and Sega games that change the main battle theme, etc.).
In regards to the spin-offs, you shouldn't play any of them without playing the main games they're related to first. Otherwise, you're going to run into all kinds of unavoidable spoilers. All of the listed spin-offs are canon. (Yes, even the dancing game.)
  • - The Persona 4 Arena titles are 2D fighting games that follow the story of Persona 3: FES and Persona 4: Golden. The story is presented in a visual novel format with fights in-between every couple of segments. If you fancy fighting games and want to give this one a shot, I would recommend getting the sequel, Persona 4: Arena Ultimax, as you're able to purchase the story from the first Arena game via DLC. The game also contains DLC characters, tracks, and avatars (for use on your online profile), though they're not necessary to enjoy the game.
  • - Persona 4: Dancing All Night takes place roughly a month after the epilogue of Persona 4: Golden. As noted by the title, it's a rhythm game with similar gameplay mechanics to the Project Diva video games (but less tracks compared to them and many other rhythm games that have been released over the years). While the story is canon, you won't miss out on much if you skip it and opt for watching a playthrough instead. There's wholesome character development on there. There are two other dancing games that were released this month: Persona 3: Dancing In Moonlight and Persona 5: Dancing In Starlight, but I didn't add them to the main list because I'm not sure whether they're canon or not.
  • - Persona Q: Shadow in the Labyrinth is a first person dungeon crawler RPG with Etrian Odyssey gameplay mechanics. In Etrian Odyssey games, you explore dungeons filled with traps while you jot down their locations on the map you can fill out on the lower screen of your 3DS. Fights are still turn-based and feature some mechanics from the Persona games. The game takes place in the middle of the events of both Persona 3 and Persona 4. In this game, all of the cast's personalities are greatly exaggerated for comedic effect (this lends itself to the chibi art style the game uses). Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth is the sequel to the first PQ game. It features the cast from Persona 5 as the protagonists as they journey on a new adventure with the cast from P3, P4, and even the female MC from P3P (making this her first appearance in a canon game). I'm not sure where in the timeline this game takes place, but I'm sure someone whose played the Japanese release (and is able to read it) will be able to elaborate on that.

Reactions: osaka35

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Second Trilogy:
  • Persona 3 (PS2)
  • - Persona 3: FES (PS2, PS3 [Port])(Definitive version of P3; Contains new epilogue: The Answer)
  • - Persona 3: Portable (PSP [Port])(Contains female MC and new content; lacks The Answer epilogue)
  • Persona 4 (PS2, PS3 [Port])
  • - Persona 4: Golden (PS Vita Remake)(Definitive version of P4; Contains a lot of new content)
  • -- Persona 4: Arena (PS3, Xbox 360)(Sequel to P4G; 2D fighting game]
  • -- Persona 4: Arena Ultimax (PS3, Xbox 360)(Sequel to P4A; 2D fighting game [P4A Story available via DLC])
  • -- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS)(First Person Dungeon Crawler RPG; Etrian Odyssey gameplay)
  • -- Persona 4: Dancing All Night (PS Vita, PS4)(Sequel to P4G: Rhythm game)
  • Persona 5 (PS3, PS4)
  • -- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth (3DS [Japan Only])(First Person Dungeon Crawler RPG; Etrian Odyssey gameplay)

You forgot P3 Dancing in Moonlight and P5 Dancing in Starlight... [EDIT: oops - just saw you mentioned them in the spoiler] ...although, as they're lacking a serious story mode (like P4 Dancing All Night had) they're further outside of the canon than the other spin-offs.

P3 FES, P4 Golden, and P5 are all great entry points into the series and can be played in any order (personally, I did P4G, P3FES then P5 - which I still need to finish... along with Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE, which is as close to a Persona game as you'll get on a Nintendo system).

Last edited by duwen,

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't care about a switch version as long as it is on PS4 as well, which considering the PS logo at the beginning it very probably will be.
I already have P5, but the game is so good I'd definitely double dip.

THYPLEX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
P5R will probably go into detail about
what happened to Akechi, it hinted that he died but it was never stated explicitly stated so I just think they're going to show the events that happened after he escaped the standoff with the metaverse version of himself and show him having a happy ending maybe
The protagonist of persona 5 , has a Happy ending or not ?
No spoiler , only yes or no

Last edited by THYPLEX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...