Gaming Permanently applying title updates on a non-hacked console?

sebato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

this is the scenario to my knowledge:

When a game needs an update, it is being downloaded and stored in a cache. If this cache is full, the oldest downloaded update is deleted to make room for the new one.

UNLESS the update has a certain size (above 5MB?), then it will be downloaded to the games directory and stored there permanently (it can be seen in the file manager on the console itself).​

My first question is: Has this system changed at all?

What definitely has changed is the way external HDD for the 360 are handled. You can now plug them in the PC and read the data of the games without any additional software like it used to be (no more "injecting" of files is needed).

I've tried MANY of these older programs, but none would detect the HDD. The reason being this change, I assume.

Now, I know you can download title updates for every game online. If I where to copy these directly to the games folder, what would happen?

• Would the game find the update okay?
  • Would the update be stored permanently or deleted at some point?
  • Would my console/gamertag be banned for doing something like this?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. yes, of course this depends on where the update must be stored.
2. it won't be deleted if it's stored if it's in the game DIR.
3. no, the only way your console/account will be banned is if you don't patch your ISO's or go online with a JTAG/RGH or modify your profile.

sebato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. yes, of course this depends on where the update must be stored.
2. it won't be deleted if it's stored if it's in the game DIR.
3. no, the only way your console/account will be banned is if you don't patch your ISO's or go online with a JTAG/RGH or modify your profile.

1) So the games' folder is not always the correct location (ie. the game will not find the update, if it has to be stored somewhere else)? What other locations are a possibility?

sebato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Either the cache folder or game folder, I believe some DLC actually "installs" itself as a savegame.

Thanks for your answers so far. To wrap this up:

- How can I find out where the game needs the update?
- If the cache folder is the only viable option, then the update will be deleted eventually from the system?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER