Permanent Joycon Mod for RCM

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Pacote, May 25, 2018.

1. Pacote
    OP

Pacote GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2007
    Brazil
    Not really a tutorial per say but decided to create this since its dead easy for people that are used to soldering, and IMHO way better than to have to stick a JIG every time you boot (Not considering AutoRCM because of the possible battery issues that would occur if you forget to power it down every single time)

Basically we will bridge pins 9 and 10 on the joycon rail which would be the same as to what people were doing bending the pins together, but it would be 100% safe and you wouldn't have any chance of long term problems connecting and disconnecting the joycon.

- Remove the 4 triwing screws on the joycon

- Open it up and remove the philips screw holding the rail agains the plastic case.

- Remove the foam pad protecting the pins, and bridge as the picture below (if you prefer you could also use a wire)

[​IMG]

This will not have any negative effect on the joycon or switch itself. If you want to boot into OFW just boot it normally.

If you want RCM, just hold power button + Volume UP and you are golden!

If by any reason you want to undo it, just use some solder wick and unbridge the contacts.

EDITED:

Since some people informed me of a non-permanent way using a reed switch (guide below) I decided to use it myself:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/f-g-joycon-mod-magnethax-switch-edition.502459/

Installed a reed switch to short pins 1-10 and now It only boots to rcm If I use a magnet on the back of the joycon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Pacote, May 25, 2018
    RY0M43CH1Z3N, xstationbr and Reploid like this.
  2. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    I just put a switch between these pins. I can "mod/unmod" the Joycon with this as I wish.
    In case Nintendo can detect permanent mods on a Joycon.

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  3. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    SO... If I'll perform this mod I can use joycon like nothing happened unluss I'll hold vol+ durning boot? Won't hinder wired mode or charging?

xstationbr and Pacote like this.
  4. Pacote
    OP

Pacote GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2007
    Brazil
    Exactly

5. willhack

willhack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    I think I saw somewhere that this mod makes the joycon blink green light or something

xstationbr likes this.
  6. Proto-Propski

Proto-Propski Legally Weird!

Apr 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Boulevard of Broken Meme's
    Good suggestion, this is way better then just bending the 9, and 10th pins, I'll also look into bridging them together with something like an I/O Switch, so I can turn it on/off accordingly.

Last edited by Proto-Propski, May 25, 2018 - Reason: Spelling
  7. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
  8. XxShalevElimelechxX

XxShalevElimelechxX GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    I did the same thing, and in my case I have grips from botw's starter kit so the switch is hiding inside the right grip.

9. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    I did this mod last week and it works for RCM, but the joycon isn't detected when attached to the console. It syncs up fine and works when detached, but not while in the rail. Anybody else have this problem?

xstationbr likes this.
  10. Biduleman

Biduleman GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    You could also put a normally open reed switch to bridge the connection so the hack would only be enabled if you're holding a magnet to the joycon. That way you don't have to physically mod the joycon to put a switch and it will still only activate whenever you want.

11. Dexxy

Dexxy Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2018
    Estonia
    also you can buy broken joycon from eBay and made your jig without risk to break pins on switch :yayswitch:

12. Proto-Propski

Proto-Propski Legally Weird!

Apr 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Boulevard of Broken Meme's
  13. Pacote
    OP

Pacote GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2007
    Brazil
    Are you sure you didnt short circuit anything else?

Its working fine here playing BOTW

14. Rodrigo Mafra

Rodrigo Mafra GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2016
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    I saw somewhere that someone used a reed switch between pins 9 and 10, I did the same, if nintendo can somehow detect permanent mods I will not be detected. It still has the nostalgic factor of using a magnet as in 3ds with NTRBoot.

Edit. Now that I read all the other comments I saw that you have already posted the link to the same thread I read about the reed switch ...

Last edited by Rodrigo Mafra, May 25, 2018
  15. Pacote
    OP

Pacote GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2007
    Brazil
    All this reed switch talk, welp will get one today and re-mod the joycon,

Any excuse to solder for me is a good excuse :D

Will update the guide with pics later (and add the original guide for it on the OP)

16. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Two reasons not to do this:

1. The Switch logs if pin 10 is grounded when the Switch OS boots up and running. So you don't want it ground ALL the time, just long enough to get into RCM
    2. As of the latest JoyCon firmware update, pin 9 no longer works for this and will cause the JoyCon to no longer be seen by the Switch, use pin 1, 2, or 7 instead, those are actual ground pins.

17. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    I don't think so. First I used the method shown in this thread, and also tried soldering a wire between the points on the joycon side. The result was the same both times... very weird.

18. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I just updated my joycons to the latest firmware to test and they still work just fine. Switch is able to see them in handheld only mode (Bluetooth disabled through Airplane mode.) and charge just fine too. As for #1, not that I disbelieve that Nintendo could log if pin 10 is grounded when booting but do you have any proof that they actually do?

xstationbr likes this.
  19. Pacote
    OP

Pacote GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2007
    Brazil
    Can you provide proof of those?

Im actually more curious about the joycon firmware update statement

xstationbr likes this.
  20. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    I know the second statement definitely isn't true. Mine still works even after the update.

xstationbr likes this.