Perfect Dark Decomp almost finished, currently at 97%

1665416429683.png

The amount of decompiled games has seen a considerable increase during the last 5 years.
A lot of N64 games have been the main focus of such decompilation projects, since the console's many games were originally coded in C/C++.

One of the many projects currently being decompiled from the N64 console is none other than one of Rare's top games for it, Perfect Dark.
The current status of the decompilation project is nearing its completion, with both the NTSC 1.0 and NTSC Final versions of the game currently sitting at 97% completion.

The other versions of the game are not far off, either.
The PAL and Japanese versions are sitting at 96% and 95%, respectively. Even the Beta versions of the game are getting a decompilation as well, with both the NTSC and PAL Betas sitting at 94% and 96%, respectively. With all the work being done, the completion and possibility of a PC port (and other devices) is coming closer and closer to being a near-future reality.

There's a lot more N64 games being decompiled at the moment, with the most recent one being Ocarina of Time, which has been seeing ports to many devices and consoles thanks to the combined effort of the community, with Majora's Mask being another one that's closing up above 70% completion. If you want to take a peek at other decompilation projects currently being worked on, you can visit the N64Decomp community at GitHub, while the Zelda titles decompilations are currently hosted at Zelda Reverse Engineering Team's page.

:arrow: Source

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That game desperately needed a pause map.
But pausing the game every 5 seconds to draw your own map was lit back in the day.
Post automatically merged:

With Goldeneye finally coming, maybe someone can use it to inject Perfect Dark's N64 ROM to get it playable in the Nintendo Online.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
But pausing the game every 5 seconds to draw your own map was lit back in the day.

With Goldeneye finally coming, maybe someone can use it to inject Perfect Dark's N64 ROM to get it playable in the Nintendo Online.
Doubt it, currently injecting either game has very different issues to the other. If GE's release fixes PD then that could mean PD is planned

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find this quest for 1:1 that seems to be so pervasive in the decompilation of old games world a curious thing. Certainly have it as a goal if you want, or eventual thing, but functionally the same would have been the baseline for me. There might be edge cases with timing* or exceptions (numbers outside normal ranges and associated behaviours) but eh.

*maybe timing issues or delays stack and cause a miss where there would not be but this is getting thin at this point.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think BOTW's decompile is more interesting. Though, it seems like it'll take years for that, maybe half a decade.

Also, where is Ogre Battle 64's decompile. :( Square pls port it to current gen! It runs like shit on every n64 emulator I've tried.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think BOTW's decompile is more interesting. Though, it seems like it'll take years for that, maybe half a decade.

Also, where is Ogre Battle 64's decompile. :( Square pls port it to current gen! It runs like shit on every n64 emulator I've tried.

I can't wait for a Switch release with a stable framerate, goldeneye guns in combat simulator (which is already a patch for the n64 version) and QOL enhancements like more sims in combat simulator

Sk17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I've been following this closely since it was like 30%. Perfect Dark is a childhood favorite of mine. The art direction for this game is so amazing. We're still a long way to see a PC port, but man. Seeing this game outside of the N64 (and that XBLA version) will be a bless.

Massive thanks to the guy doing this, Ryan.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, just read the news on Nintendolife. I look forward to the ports we'll see, really hoping for a Wii U build again.
Their article is odd. They say that it's difficult to get the game in the first paragraph, even though you can buy Rare Replay, which includes Perfect Dark for less than 10 dollars.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if a Wii U port could be optimized so that if you play 2 players that instead of splitscreen one player gets their own screen on the TV and the other gets the screen on the Gamepad. I'm obviously jumping the gun here, but I'm very excited for this decomp haha.

flowlapache

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Their article is odd. They say that it's difficult to get the game in the first paragraph, even though you can buy Rare Replay, which includes Perfect Dark for less than 10 dollars.
isn't a trap? rare replay is not on pc, only on xbox360 or next... and i believed there was only perfect dark zero on this compilation!!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't a trap? rare replay is not on pc, only on xbox360 or next... and i believed there was only perfect dark zero on this compilation!!
perfect dark is on rare replay, and you get the games as standalone as well, when you buy it for the series x.

20221017_121040.jpg

20221017_121302.jpg

btw, perfect dark zero is on there as well.

Reactions: flowlapache

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so cool! because it's never gone to pc, i'll have to find a x one at least..thanks
I can't share the builds, if they come elsewhere, because the assets are baked into the game, just like sm64. it should be like sonic mania or the undertale for ds games, but unfortunately, it's not.

nm, I forgot, undertale ds does the same. it should be more like sonic mania or soh, I guess.

Last edited by godreborn,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, both are on there. You can get a physical copy of Rare Replay for less than 10 dollars on eBay or Amazon. They're even going to add Golden Eye to it next year.

https://rare.fandom.com/wiki/Rare_Replay

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tecnically it is. its on Xcloud which can be played on PC.
I think I checked above, and Perfect Dark is part of rare replay. you can play it as part of the game itself or as standalone which is free if you buy rare replay. I'm not sure if it's digital only or not, but I did buy it that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1