G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
It's back to normal now, but what I want to know is what exactly did they insert into the page and do we need to be worried about possible driveby exploits?

If anything this can only affect serverside rather than reader side. Reddit will always have a cached copy but it wont change the fact that unless they find out who's compromised, it wont stop.

Actually, I didn't get the time to analyze that image, but there's nothing preventing it from being an image-based exploit. Remember libtiff on the PSP?

Reactions: Misledz

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If anything this can only affect serverside rather than reader side. Reddit will always have a cached copy but it wont change the fact that unless they find out who's compromised, it wont stop.
Anything that is sent to the client side has the potential to affect the client side if they make use of driveby exploits. Basically driveby exploits are exploits in software on the client side which once an infected page is visited can be used to install malware without the user's knowledge or consent.
I didn't get a chance to have a look at the source code of the part they added or the image itself, which is why I'm wondering.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Actually, I didn't get the time to analyze that image, but there's nothing preventing it from being an image-based exploit. Remember libtiff on the PSP?
Similar to the one on devhook days? If so then yeah, but Chrome for some reason can sort out these kind of exploits so Im not so worried. If Im having a hard time getting exploit pages to run on chrome than on my Wii U, then I guess Google's doing a good job :P

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Similar to the one on devhook days? If so then yeah, but Chrome for some reason can sort out these kind of exploits so Im not so worried. If Im having a hard time getting exploit pages to run on chrome than on my Wii U, then I guess Google's doing a good job :P

Exploits in chrome require ROP. Memory protection. And on top of that, you also have to get out of the sandbox. Firefox, on the other hand...you may want to turn off JIT.

Also, the 3DS and WiiU technically are WebKit, not Blink.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Browser devs make continuous efforts to block known exploits, but there are always new ones being found that aren't publicly known yet, so you're not protected from everything. Even antivirus, firewall and antispyware software won't protect you from everything.
These people seem like just your average skiddie though, so they probably wouldn't have access to unpatched exploits, but you never know.

Exploits in chrome require ROP. Memory protection. And on top of that, you also have to get out of the sandbox. Firefox, on the other hand...you may want to turn off JIT.

I have NoScript and reddit.com is disabled on it, is that good enough? :P (Firefox though)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Browser devs make continuous efforts to block known exploits, but there are always new ones being found that aren't publicly known yet, so you're not protected from everything. Even antivirus, firewall and antispyware software won't protect you from everything.
These people seem like just your average skiddie though, so they probably wouldn't have access to unpatched exploits, but you never know.

Yeah, I doubt it. Though there's nothing stopping them from targeting fixed exploits in hope someone hasn't updated.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

I have NoScript and reddit.com is disabled on it, is that good enough? :P (Firefox though)

I have learned much today. Thanks Sensei's

Reactions: DarkFlare69

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

For scripts, yes. Not images.

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Remember kids, don't use your browser's built in password saver.

And remember: use a combination of capital/lowercase letters, numbers, symbols and use more than two words!

Reactions: Deleted User

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For scripts, yes. Not images.
I doubt they found some image exploit, but I wasn't actually able to save the image to have a look at it (the option wasn't there in the right-click menu, probably because it used some weird CSS or JS as I've experienced the same problem on other sites, even here on GBAtemp) so I can't know for sure. I just tend to be paranoid about computer security (and most other things :P )

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a txt that contains all my random character passwords and a 19 digit password on the zip. None of the random passwords are labeled.
FITE ME

Better than a closed source password management tool or a browser plugin.

I hope you're using AES and not ZipCrypto, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn