Homebrew PCSX ReARMed compatibility list

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I did not, it was on xmb, just changed it now. Also, I'm using 1.7.5 stable. Should I use 1.7.3? Since that's what I see most compatibility reports from.
Xmb is known to crash. You don't have to use 1.7.3. I think it's just that the people reviewing happened to be on that version while reviewing. Have you tried deleting your config file? That is possibly the solution.

Last edited by ArviDroid,

ShackledTime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xmb is known to crash. You don't have to use 1.7.3. I think it's just that the people reviewing happened to be on that version while reviewing. Have you tried deleting your config file? That is possibly the solution.
It seemed to have at least decreased the amount of times it crashes, but then I beat the first half of SotN and then it crashed again. T_T

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It seemed to have at least decreased the amount of times it crashes, but then I beat the first half of SotN and then it crashed again. T_T
I'm not sure wether you are saying that you tried using 1.7.3 or deleted your config files. Try the one of these to which you haven't tried yet (if what i stated is correct). Also do you have the bios files?

skynet8438

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To contribute to the compatibility list: either mention a game in the comments or request editorial permission on the spreadsheet!

:!:The list is based on N3DS only:!:

:!:Barely any games run perfectly (~60 fps):!:

:!:What you deem playable/ unplayable is subjective and might not be the case for others:!:

:!:Some games were tested on older builds of PCSX, thus you might get a better result fps-wise by using a newer build:!:

:!:To get higher fps you may try having V-sync/ audio-sync turned OFF, audio resampler set to nearest and use frameskips:!:

:!:Combining Maximum run speed >1.0x and turning V-sync ON can, in some cases, give you a positive result fps-wise:!:
Thank you for the wonderful spreadsheet!

I tried SotN on my N2DSXL, initially I only got about 40+ frames at the initial scenes (play as Richter), no matter what settings I tried (turn off V-sync, frameskip 1/2/3, L2+Clock, disable sound driver...).

I was using a Chinese version (I believe it's based on JPN version), but I also tried USA version, nothing was improved. Then I realized it's a problem of bin vs pbp. After converting the rom to pbp, I immediately got close to 60 frames at the initial scenes with sound!

It's very playable now, though the sound is crappy. But I really like the fact that I can play SotN on 3DS.

I would suggest you to mention "use pbp" as an important tip to improve fps at 1st page .

I also tried the game "Three Kingdoms 2 King Mainland (JPN)", which is a fairly simple SLG game and I easily got close to 60 fps everywhere. But the pbp version crashed.

I am using version 1.7.5 (12/18/2018 nightly build, as the stable version crashes due to a bug in it).

Last edited by skynet8438,
Reactions: zoogie

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thank you for the wonderful spreadsheet!

I tried SotN on my N2DSXL, initially I only got about 40+ frames at the initial scenes (play as Richter), no matter what settings I tried (turn off V-sync, frameskip 1/2/3, L2+Clock, disable sound driver...).

I was using a Chinese version (I believe it's based on JPN version), but I also tried USA version, nothing was improved. Then I realized it's a problem of bin vs pbp. After converting the rom to pbp, I immediately got close to 60 frames at the initial scenes with sound!

It's very playable now, though the sound is crappy. But I really like the fact that I can play SotN on 3DS.

I would suggest you to mention "use pbp" as an important tip to improve fps at 1st page .

I also tried the game "Three Kingdoms 2 King Mainland (JPN)", which is a fairly simple SLG game and I easily got close to 60 fps everywhere. But the pbp version crashed.

I am using version 1.7.5 (12/18/2018 nightly build, as the stable version crashes due to a bug in it).
Thank you! And yeah, pbp IS pretty important! I'll add that to the disclaimers, plus bios as well!

Grin59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried resident evil 3? I was about to try it out tonight so I'll report back since I've been getting really into resident evil games lately.

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Has anyone tried resident evil 3? I was about to try it out tonight so I'll report back since I've been getting really into resident evil games lately.
Judging by the fact that the game has prerendered backgrounds, just like it's predecessors, both which run well according to the spreadsheet. So, based on that, I'm guessing it'll run "alright".

Reactions: Grin59

Grin59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, on resident evil 1, 2, and 3 can you use the joystick?
Judging by the fact that the game has prerendered backgrounds, just like it's predecessors, both which run well according to the spreadsheet. So, based on that, I'm guessing it'll run "alright".
Awesome, thank you for answering.

Do the resident evil games work with the joystick or am I stuck with the d-pad unless I play the duelshock version of RES 2?

Grin59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ArviDroid I have successfully tested Resident Evil 3 Nemesis.
Here's my report:

System: N2DS

Game: Resident Evil 3 Nemesis

.BIN version.
I tested with the stable version 1.7.5 of retroarch(buildbot.libretro.com)
Did not use a PS1 BIOS.

I don't remember my settings but I only really messed with the sound settings since I was trying to get the sound in game to work so my settings are what are enabled on a fresh install.

FPS: never drops down to 20 FPS, maybe on cutscenes but barely lags or drops down to that.
Other than that gameplay is anywhere from about 30-60 FPS.

So overall, it is very playable. FPS isn't an issue.

Might wanna add it to the spreadsheet if you can, I can do more testing hopefully tomorrow night.

So question, how can I get my sound to work?

soguyswedidit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you retest MGS on latest nightly build w/ vsync, audio resampler nearest and frameskip 3 please

Can you also use a PS1 BIOS - also how do I do tha

Also if you can find a copy in .pbp format (dm me a link please)

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I just confirm CD audio is supposed to work?

I am not hearing any CD audio with either PBP or BIN/CUE format on test games. I do hear sound effects.

Tested 1.7.5 stable, 1.7.5 nightlies, and latest 1.7.6 stable.

Example game: Youkai Kaasobi [SLPM-86857]
music should play on title/menu screen

Last edited by matt!,

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Can I just confirm CD audio is supposed to work?

I am not hearing any CD audio with either PBP or BIN/CUE format on test games. I do hear sound effects.

Tested 1.7.5 stable, 1.7.5 nightlies, and latest 1.7.6 stable.

Example game: Youkai Kaasobi [SLPM-86857]
music should play on title/menu screen
Are you saying that there simply isn't any music playing while in-game, but there's sound? I've no idea how that would happen. And yes, audio should work.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Not to derail the thread, but is there any way to get a PlayStation emulator to have the BIOS boot an audio CD's bin+cue files as if it's a real CD to play music? And yes, I'm QUITE AWARE Kodi is a thing, but that's not what I'm after. I'm just curious if anyone can get a music CD to play the same way as a PS1 game backup. The original PlayStation played Music CDs from the BIOS, so shouldn't it be feasible?

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not to derail the thread, but is there any way to get a PlayStation emulator to have the BIOS boot an audio CD's bin+cue files as if it's a real CD to play music? And yes, I'm QUITE AWARE Kodi is a thing, but that's not what I'm after. I'm just curious if anyone can get a music CD to play the same way as a PS1 game backup. The original PlayStation played Music CDs from the BIOS, so shouldn't it be feasible?
I've no idea. Try it out, maybe?

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by matt!,

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You'll need to modify the emulator core to either: 1) boot without content so you can use the system menu, 2) recognise audio CDs

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmm. Neither Alundra or Oddworld have CD Audio tracks?

http://redump.org/disc/546/
http://redump.org/disc/702/

Here's what discs with CD Audio tracks look like:

http://redump.org/disc/41776/
http://redump.org/disc/7612/

I have played both of those last two on MacOS (where CD audio music works fine) and on 3DS (no CD audio music)
I'm sorry, I too hastily googled "CD audio" and didn't realize that it differed from "normal audio", when I last replied to your post. To make things clear: normal audio works. Whether CD audio works or not; I don't know. So it is very much possible that it isn't functional. However, here's a list of all games with CD audio if you want to test more games: https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3Wkn...f_PlayStation_games_with_CD_audio_tracks.html

Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help...

Last edited by ArviDroid,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...