Gaming PC Games: You Buy or Pirate?

DBMONK

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i pirate games and if there good i buy them on original....
stupid thing is i never open the original. i just keep them on a shelf in the spare room. games i dont like or games that are "just ok" i will play with the rom and then delete them.

the byter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
similar for me. I'll download a game and play it a little, if I like it I'll buy the original. I'll frequently keep playing the pirated copy to avoid cd checks etc. though.

I want to support the industry, but I usually buy good games after they've been out for a number of months so I don't end up paying $60 for a game.

D

Deleted User

I rarely play on a computer (switched to using a Mac years ago) but I used to pirate a lot of games back in the days. Nowadays I mostly purchase what I like to play except if I can't find it anywhere.

lilsypha said:
I also use GOG for some of the old classics that I either didn't keep around, or that got corrupted/lost over the years.
Thanks for the link, I didn't know there was a site selling digital copies of classic/older games.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I usually pirate most games, but I go and buy games that are exceptionally good. Ie: Civ 3, Civ 4, Gal Civ 2 w/ Expansions, NWN, BG 1 & 2, IWD 1 & 2, etc.

Most games that come out don't keep my attention long, so they're not worth my money.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't pirate a lot of PC games, just old ones. New ones I get as gifts.

xcdjy, might it convince you to get GTA:SA if I told you there's unofficial online multiplayer for it? Unless someone already told you that...

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No comments. Really, it is none of your business.
wink.gif

grindbart

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i bought age of conan 14 days ago,iam only paying for MMOs, butt iam looking forward to buy deus ex 3 when it get released
smile.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Jdbye said:
I don't pirate a lot of PC games, just old ones. New ones I get as gifts.

xcdjy, might it convince you to get GTA:SA if I told you there's unofficial online multiplayer for it? Unless someone already told you that...
Actually, there's two of 'em. Multi Theft Auto and a second one which I can't recall the name of.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't pirate PC games because I don't even play them. Or even if I think of pirating the game takes 12+ hours to finish downloading. x_x

siteservant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running on a 6 year old rig with 768 MB RAM and an old GForce Card.

I wish I had more time to game. I buy all my games, but I wish I hadn't bought Orange Box via Steam, because to play it, I have to be online, even for single player mode... What a mistake!

The next game I'll probably play will be WoW. I quit before the last expansion. I'd like to start back up this winter.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
siteservant said:
I wish I had more time to game. I buy all my games, but I wish I hadn't bought Orange Box via Steam, because to play it, I have to be online, even for single player mode... What a mistake!

If you can get your computer online for at least five minutes you can get it to run while offline. Just update the game, then go to File>Go Offline... and then you'll have to restart Steam. But then the games will work offline.

Also I only pirate PC games to try them and then I'll buy them if they're good or just toss them. Or for games that I've lost the CDs I'll pirate.

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan on building an entry-level gaming rig in a few months when I get the funds.

But, I've pirated games. But it seems if I want multiplayer, looks like I'm buying!

But Steam does have those nice weekend specials.

And they're cheaper than console games, nowthatyoumentionit.

Pirate the single player ones!

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to pirate PC games. Hard drive got wiped due to a fatal error (due to the downloading, I like to think), started buying games, one of the best computer decisions I've ever made.

Pirating: Takes a buttload of time. Patching and cracking and updating is a PAIN IN THE ARSE. Online support is obsolete. You DO NOT get official servers (so if you wanted to play on 99% of the CoD4 servers, you would need to buy it.). VALVe multiplayer games that are pirated (Killing Floor, L4D, TF2, CS:S, etc.) are serious headaches trying to find servers and updating the game. Takes up even more disk space than buying the game, which is weird because it should be the other way around. Most game mods DO NOT WORK. With multiplayer, most people do not have headset/mic, a good mouse, and a good connection/ping because if they didn't buy the game, chances are that they aren't going to go out and spend money on "ridiculously unneeded" items as such. VIRUSES.

Buying: Game mods. TONS of online support if something goes wrong. A box and instruction booklet (if you're buying retail). Full multiplayer. All the game modes and features. No worrying about cracking and patching. Updating is a breeze. You can play with your friends. Servers LOCATED NEAR YOU FILLED WITH PEOPLE WHO SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE
smile.gif
. Lots of people have mics and other accessories that most pirates don't bother to own. No viruses. Your settings and game saves stay the same when you exit out of the game. Games are organized on your computer, and are easy to get back if your system crashes. You don't need to worry about your Antivirus or your software updaters catching you and freezing your programs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-