PayPal question

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DarkFlare69, Mar 4, 2015.

1. DarkFlare69
    OP

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Please just answer, don't say "google it" or anything.

I have a PayPal with a credit card linked, but no Bank account. Will they let me recieve money from donations and stuff? Or do I need a bank account linked for that?

2. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Honestly i'm pretty sure you need a bank account link to your PayPal.

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I believe you need to have a paypal business account to accept payments and that requires a linked bank account, credit/debit card, proof of identity, and so forth
    Donation buttons are actually reserved for nonprofit charity organizations so you would have to something else set up like funds to buy new equipment, etc...

4. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Last I knew, PayPal basically won't let you do anything except make payments unless you directly link a bank account.

5. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I was able to receive money from other people's PayPal accounts before I linked my bank account. Now I can send an invoice and people can pay with debit card without needing a PayPal account.

6. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    google it
    Why not have a bank account attached? Does it really matter?
    Why do birds suddenly appear?

7. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Joe88 is mostly right except you can receive payments with a personal account. I think you can receive money without a bank account but you will be able to only use for buying with PayPal. Also you can't get a donation button if I remember

8. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    My account isn't even verified and I can buy from most sites.

9. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    You can receive payments, but probably not donations without linking your bank. There's also a spending/sending limit of somewhere around $2000? before you have to link a bank account, or at least there used to be.

An easy way around this (at least in the US) is to sign up for PayPal's prepaid debit card. There's a $4.95 monthly fee, but you can load cash directly to it from your PayPal balance or use it for direct deposits - in fact, they recommend setting it up as a bank account in your PayPal account for 'basic' (non-instant, but also exempt from daily/monthly transfer limits) transfers. Works as a standard debit card everywhere, including ATMs; it also lets you create virtual card numbers, which can be cancelled when you're done with them, for no additional fee, in case you want to buy a flashcard off a shady Chinese site and don't want your real card info stolen or something.

Full disclosure, that's a referral link above; if you sign up through it and add $10 to the card, we each get a $5 bonus.

10. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Inb4 b&