Hacking Pasta CFW - A CFW that allows unsigned CIA to be installed on Old and New 3DS! (required ninjhax)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
One small issue that I posted on github is the autodetection seems to fail a bit.

Have an old Smash Bros 3DSXL that was 7.1 downgraded to 4.5, but autodetect firm is OLD 3DS v9.x

Hmm. The 3DS has never been on 9.x?
Can you tell me what the FIRM / KERNEL line says?
Some devs claimed that those can't be accessed from ARM9 the way I do it (the address is different on ARM9), that it's just getting some garbage data from RAM. I will know for sure when someone posts their FIRM / KERNEL line but it seems like it might detect everything as 9.x. :P

capito27
Might have to use an arm9 RAM dumper and search for the correct address in the dump. Seems like it moves around depending on the firmware version if I'm reading 3dbrew correctly (and I might very well not be) so that's no use. Actually I have an easier way in mind, to simply do the firmware check in brahma itself (since it runs on arm11) and launch a version specific payload.

Another alternative is to write the version to a known address in FCRAM from brahma then the payload can read the version from that address but we would have to make sure that it's not an address that will be overwritten before the payload reads it. We could patch a placeholder in the payload to contain the real FIRM version, or write it to right before the payload location (FCRAM+0x03F00000) or somewhere after it but before MAPPED_FIRM (FCRAM+0x04000000)
Thoughts?
I'm starting to think we need to start an IRC channel or something for all this dev talk :P

Reactions: Vappy and Alkéryn

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
This is the best thing in the 3ds scene since... I don't know when, but this is like the best! :)

2 things/comments:

1. I can't install other region 3dsware CIAs. I have tried with both FBI and BBM. Other region NES & other region GBA works perfectly! Any ideas why?

2. The CIAs and NES files always remains on the home meny. But GBA files just flicker for a half second and then dissappear. They have to be launched by BBM. It would be cool if we could see the GBA games on the home meny.

Thanks for the Pasta :)

Retr0Capez

Gone and forgotten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the best thing in the 3ds scene since... I don't know when, but this is like the best! :)

2 things/comments:

1. I can't install other region 3dsware CIAs. I have tried with both FBI and BBM. Other region NES & other region GBA works perfectly! Any ideas why?

2. The CIAs and NES files always remains on the home meny. But GBA files just flicker for a half second and then dissappear. They have to be launched by BBM. It would be cool if we could see the GBA games on the home meny.

Thanks for the Pasta :)
Had trouble with the 3dsware CIAs from other regions also. My 2DS is American, so I can't get Nintendo anime channel. I suggest region unlocked files.

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very awesome thanks for sharing. Maybe i can sell my gateway now? idk man. oh wells. maybe i should sell my copy of cn over my gateway. or keep both. but $60 would sure be nice.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google how to use DevMenu then (BigBlueMenu is the same shit, it's DevMenu with the title changed).

Xenoblade requires fw 9.4, recent eShop titles, and obviously any future games, but according to http://3ds.essh.co (by simply clicking the "firmware" column a few times), these won't:

9.5.0E - Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
9.4.0U - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (N3DS Only)
9.4.0U - Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
9.4.0J - Bravely Second: End Layer
9.4.0J - Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minna de Mini-Land
9.4.0J - Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
9.4.0J - Zelda no Densetsu Majora no Kamen
9.4.0J - Xenoblade (N3DS Only)
9.4.0E - Pazuru Purple Hills
9.4.0E - Inazuma Eleven GO: Chrono Stones: Thunderflash
9.4.0E - Inazuma Eleven GO: Chrono Stones: Wildfire
9.4.0E - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (N3DS Only)
9.3.0J - Home Menu Kazareru Badge Toreru Center

I don't know about you, but if you ever played Bravely Default, Bravely Second (when it's released in English) won't run on Pasta CFW without firmware spoofing and/or other modifications.
Nope. New eshop titles don't need 9.3+. I run them just fine from 9.0 N3DS sysnand. Of course I used NTR to enter the eshop to download them in the first place, but that's not the same thing as REQUIRING 9.4+ to run...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Nope. New eshop titles don't need 9.3+. I run them just fine from 9.0 N3DS sysnand. Of course I used NTR to enter the eshop to download them in the first place, but that's not the same thing as REQUIRING 9.4+ to run...
pokemon shuffle, and Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition(demo version) dont run on 9.0...granted they are hardly mega hit games, nd the full version of Puzzel & dragons does making the protecting the demo pretty pointless, but nintendo are much faster updating SDK versions now days, back when 7.x encryption was released it was months before anything more than the American youtube app actually utilized it....cart releases will probably be safe for a little while, but future eshop releases will almost certainly be using whatever new arsenal they can throw our way

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Hmm. The 3DS has never been on 9.x?
Can you tell me what the FIRM / KERNEL line says?
Some devs claimed that those can't be accessed from ARM9 the way I do it (the address is different on ARM9), that it's just getting some garbage data from RAM. I will know for sure when someone posts their FIRM / KERNEL line but it seems like it might detect everything as 9.x. :P

capito27
Might have to use an arm9 RAM dumper and search for the correct address in the dump. Seems like it moves around depending on the firmware version if I'm reading 3dbrew correctly (and I might very well not be) so that's no use. Actually I have an easier way in mind, to simply do the firmware check in brahma itself (since it runs on arm11) and launch a version specific payload.

Another alternative is to write the version to a known address in FCRAM from brahma then the payload can read the version from that address but we would have to make sure that it's not an address that will be overwritten before the payload reads it. We could patch a placeholder in the payload to contain the real FIRM version, or write it to right before the payload location (FCRAM+0x03F00000) or somewhere after it but before MAPPED_FIRM (FCRAM+0x04000000)
Thoughts?
I'm starting to think we need to start an IRC channel or something for all this dev talk :P

same for me, but .3 works just fine.

29264d2.jpg

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Quick question, if i boot in emunand (for example say rxTools) i can't run my cubic ninja and launch this cfw inside the emunand, right?

Reactions: mvmiranda

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Looks like those devs were right. FIRM and KERNEL should under normal circumstances match and in your case they should be 0x02220000. More work is required to detect firmware on ARM9 I guess.

oh in case it helps, I used to have 9.2u and DG'd with GW back to 4.x for palatine cfw, just trying this out.
btw, I hope there's a way to transfer my installed cias under palatine to pasta (ie. cfw cia transfer)

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever, I was simply commenting on the list of cfws, loaders, and homebrews that piracy limitations put in place by developers. I only mentioned KARL because it was the first to come to mind, and it has antipiracy in the name. But this is a dawn of peace and prosperity in the 3ds scene. The long piracy war has come to an end. Inevitably, open source and freedom has won. Those that sought to be dictators of the scene by way of self enforced limitations and closed source have been forgotten. And the Messiah [user]capito27[/user], chosen by God herself who passed down open source cfw by way of an unknown pastebin shall be remembered as a hero of the scene.

Edit. Sorry, got kinda carried away there.
Dude chill, it was only 6 lines of code (two if the leaker actually knew how to code). And let's not forget ARM9 from ninjhax wouldn't have been possible if not for many others. The modifications have been out there for years because of yellows8's leak, it's just that nobody was smart enough to put two and two together and then on top of that put it in a spoon-fed form.

Gamerschoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I've been waiting so long for something like this! You rock! Thank you so much! Man, I wish I knew as much as you about programming to make something like this.

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude chill, it was only 6 lines of code (two if the leaker actually knew how to code). And let's not forget ARM9 from ninjhax wouldn't have been possible if not for many others. The modifications have been out there for years because of yellows8's leak, it's just that nobody was smart enough to put two and two together and then on top of that put it in a spoon-fed form.

don't matter if it was only 6 lines of code, he did it and not making a dozen show-off vídeos.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You heard it here folks. Pack it up, this shit's stupid.

Edit. It's not about how hard it was to do. It's that he did it. And he shared it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1