Gaming "Paper Mario Sticker Star"

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this reserved, I can't wait to play it. My beef with the last Paper Mario was that they strip down the RPG elements that made Paper Mario Super fun (No pun intended lol). They Simplfyed them to next to nothing more than Mario's traditional run and jump mumbo jumbo. If I wanted to play a platformer full on I'd play Super Mario bros. 3, give me back my turned based Paper Mario and they have with Sticker Star, can,t wait and it looks better than ever!

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boombox, Try the other Paper Mario's before assuming that they all suck...Super Paper Mario on Wii is a soild game that sucks! Paper Mario 1 and 2 were great games.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Why are people arguing Kid Icarus: Uprising vs. a game that hasn't come out yet? My opinion is that Kid Icarus: Uprising is currently the 3DS killer app. That's all I can say. As for Paper Mario, only time will tell.

That said, I'm a little pissed that they overhauled the Paper Mario formula so much (from what I've seen). I mean, I know change is good, but it feels like they took away way too many traditional elements.

Above that, I wish they made a new Mario and Luigi game, honestly. I feel Superstar Saga was a billion times better than either of the first 2 Paper Mario games (even though those were still great).

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people arguing Kid Icarus: Uprising vs. a game that hasn't come out yet? My opinion is that Kid Icarus: Uprising is currently the 3DS killer app. That's all I can say. As for Paper Mario, only time will tell.

That said, I'm a little pissed that they overhauled the Paper Mario formula so much (from what I've seen). I mean, I know change is good, but it feels like they took away way too many traditional elements.

Above that, I wish they made a new Mario and Luigi game, honestly. I feel Superstar Saga was a billion times better than either of the first 2 Paper Mario games (even though those were still great).

Oh! So close, I was about to like then you said "billion times better" :P
Ive always liked PMs combat system over M&L's, PMs rewards you for hitting the action commands on time by letting you block, counter, and even deal extra damage.

M&L punishes you if you dont. With a 50% decrease in damage, extra damage taken in cases you cant block on time, and even loosing a turn if your enemy touches you from behind.

I also think PM is much funnier storywise, but thats more of an opinion then anything :P

But like you said, both are still great RPGs (VERY unique)

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ive always liked PMs combat system over M&L's, PMs rewards you for hitting the action commands on time by letting you block, counter, and even deal extra damage.

M&L punishes you if you dont. With a 50% decrease in damage, extra damage taken in cases you cant block on time, and even loosing a turn if your enemy touches you from behind.

I also think PM is much funnier storywise, but thats more of an opinion then anything :P

The thing I like about Mario and Luigi over Paper Mario is, to me, it truly feels like you're in control of the battles, something so many turn-based RPGs lack for me. With Mario and Luigi, you can outright dodge any attack with action and timing. But with Paper Mario, it's still largely a waiting game that's somewhat luck-based depending on how powerful your opponent is and how much health and items you have. At best, you usually can only block one point of damage and increase a point of damage (with a couple exceptions).

That said, perhaps "a billion times" is too strong. 2 or 3 times is probably a more honest answer for me.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The thing I like about Mario and Luigi over Paper Mario is, to me, it truly feels like you're in control of the battles, something so many turn-based RPGs lack for me. With Mario and Luigi, you can outright dodge any attack with action and timing. But with Paper Mario, it's still largely a waiting game that's somewhat luck-based depending on how powerful your opponent is and how much health and items you have. At best, you usually can only block one point of damage and increase a point of damage (with a couple exceptions).

That said, perhaps "a billion times" is too strong. 2 or 3 times is probably a more honest answer for me.

Yeah, the dynamics of battle are very refreshing. Its not very turn based, especially seeing as how you can jump even when its not your turn and you dont have just a single chance to. I dont know, its probably just more of preference in the end :P

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the dynamics of battle are very refreshing. Its not very turn based, especially seeing as how you can jump even when its not your turn and you dont have just a single chance to. I dont know, its probably just more of preference in the end :P
It is. It's the same reason that Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG (to a lesser extent than M&L, though). In Chrono Trigger (if you haven't played it, what's wrong with you? :P). Chrono Trigger doesn't have fully avoidable attacks or anything like that, but rather than being turn-based, it's time-based. Each of your characters have a speed stat that affects how quickly you "recover" after each time they make a move. The effect is similar to turn-based, but it's really not the same since it's based on time (one of the older Final Fantasies uses the same concept, but I don't remember which one). This means that you have to act quickly when it's your time to move to choose your attack/item, because if you don't move quickly, the enemy can attack first (who is also governed by the same time-based system). Moving quickly can very often be the difference between winning and losing a battle.

In the end, both the systems in Chrono Trigger and M&L add a much stronger skill element to the mix, as opposed to so many other turn-based RPGs which are part skill, part luck-based-on-how-statistically-powerful-your-character-is-compared-to-your-enemy. And that really makes me enjoy it so much more. Sure, Paper Mario has this same element, but it's to such a small degree that it doesn't affect battles THAT much, usually.

Reactions: 2 people
P

pasc

hmm dream drop distance ? Just kidding, Phoenix Wright 5 and Monster Hunter should be epic (not to forget SSB)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not going to be the BEST game on the 3DS, or the next TTYD, but it will certainly be worth playing. I love the idea of paper mario on the 3DS cause its gonna look like a diorama box lol

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know, the sticker gimmick sounds like it will be annoying at times...
Especially this: (taken from Wikipedia)

The player's available attacks are determined by the stickers currently on hand. For example, a shoe sticker is required for Mario to attack an enemy by jumping on it. However, each sticker is removed from play after one use; it is necessary for the player to consistently collect new stickers.

The stickerish graphics aren't as cool as the PM2 graphics, and I doubt it will be as humorous as it, too.

I'm not going to preorder it, but if it gets positive reviews I might buy it. I hope everything I said earlier in this post is wrong ;)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu