Hacking Discussion Paper-clip trick no longer works.

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so you know how bridging all the pins is not a good idea, yet you show doing it in the video you posted.

The process is easy, you're just doing it wrong. But as my original post was pointing out, you're risking damaging your console.

My posted was intended on informing you that using the foil across the paper clip like you did is dangerous, nothing else.

Anyway, since you're an all-knowing developer and coder I'll leave you be. Good luck!
I'm by no means all-knowing. I'm a power-user, coder, and developer, but I still can't code a compiler, or write a program in ASM. I'm simply pointing out that because I'm unable to get the paper clip trick working (I tried many times to use get pin 10, or pins 1 and 10. None recorded, but all failed the same way.) that's it's a lot harder then people think. Also the fact that no one is selling the "foolproof jigs" on amazon, ebay, or etsy only makes it harder.

Now, I'm not saying I'm ungrateful for the work these hackers have done. I'm simply saying that there is still quite a "ability gap" needed for people to do this, and that if the home-brew scene wants to get as big as say the PSP scene was then they'll need to figure out a way to bridge that "ability gap" so their home-brew has an audience.

Look, I'm sorry if I'm coming off like an asshole. If I could I would just throw down $5, or $10 on etsy for a easy option, but when I looked I couldn't find anything.

I do have some thoughts about whats going on though: Would it be possible for Nintendo to tell the Switch to not attempt to read what's plugged into the right joycon slot until after boot?
Also, is it possible that having the system in airplane mode (bluetooth on, wifi, and NFC off) is messing this up?

Lastly, I've been told that attaching pins 10 and 4 mess things up, but in my last video pins 10 and 4 must have been touched, right? My right joycon slot, and any attached joycon to it work fine still though.

Edit:And yes, once I figure this out I plan to do the Auto RCM thing ASAP. I can't do Auto RCM without getting into RCM though, right?

Last edited by CyanPrime,

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm by no means all-knowing. I'm a power-user, coder, and developer, but I still can't code a compiler, or write a program in ASM. I'm simply pointing out that because I'm unable to get the paper clip trick working (I tried many times to use get pin 10, or pins 1 and 10. None recorded, but all failed the same way.) that's it's a lot harder then people think. Also the fact that no one is selling the "foolproof jigs" on amazon, ebay, or etsy only makes it harder.

Now, I'm not saying I'm ungrateful for the work these hackers have done. I'm simply saying that there is still quite a "ability gap" needed for people to do this, and that if the home-brew scene wants to get as big as say the PSP scene was then they'll need to figure out a way to bridge that "ability gap" so their home-brew has an audience.

Look, I'm sorry if I'm coming off like an asshole. If I could I would just throw down $5, or $10 on etsy for a easy option, but when I looked I couldn't find anything.

I do have some thoughts about whats going on though: Would it be possible for Nintendo to tell the Switch to not attempt to read what's plugged into the right joycon slot until after boot?
Also, is it possible that having the system in airplane mode (bluetooth on, wifi, and NFC off) is messing this up?

Lastly, I've been told that attaching pins 10 and 4 mess things up, but in my last video pins 10 and 4 must have been touched, right? My right joycon slot, and any attached joycon to it work fine still though.

Edit:And yes, once I figure this out I plan to do the Auto RCM thing ASAP. I can't do Auto RCM without getting into RCM though, right?

There are $2 jigs on ebay, just get one to get things moving along

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are $2 jigs on ebay, just get one to get things moving along
I couldn't find any. What keywords are you using to find them?

Edit: I found them using Switch Jig

Edit 2: Ebay no longer require an account to buy something. That's pretty awesome.

Edit 3: Estimated time is July 9th. I'll update this thread if it works or not.

Last edited by CyanPrime,
Reactions: charlieb

Nasha004

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Basically, keep re arranging the paper clip, it’ll work eventually. Buy a rcm jig for like 2 quid and either leave it in there once it’s set or if you use it portably you can take it out but safer to keep in.

In mean time try using a torch to check the pins are connected, you’ll notice a distinct feel when you get it in. It won’t fee right but that’s when it’ll work.

Hope this helps

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I couldn't find any. What keywords are you using to find them?

Edit: I found them using Switch Jig

Edit 2: Ebay no longer require an account to buy something. That's pretty awesome.

Edit 3: Estimated time is July 9th. I'll update this thread if it works or not.

That seems pretty late, I got this one and it worked fine

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-S...667748?hash=item3f9b8d4a64:g:coYAAOSwx95bANFv

Should arrive around the 4th, I had a few problems getting it in at first so a small change may be required but nothing too hard. It looks pretty too haha

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I'm surprised you didn't fry your switch with that foil trick.

Either it isn't making contact with pin 10 and a grounded object or you've damaged you joycon rail.

BTW is that a plastic film I'm noticing over the paperclip? If it is I'll bet money that's your problem...

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The paperclip thing is pretty tricky, don't be surprised if you can't get it to work. A proper jig like included in the sx pro, though, should work great every time.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a 5.1.0 Switch, and the paper clip trick does not work for it. The guides say I need to turn off my switch, and then use the clip to connect pins 1 and 10. Then, I need to tap Volume Up, and Power and I'll go into a recovery menu/mode. This does not happen, and the Switch just boots like normal.

I've been turning off my Switch by holding down the power button, then selecting power options, and power off. Does it need to only be in Sleep Mode for this to work?

Also, I have no payloads on my SD card yet. The guides make it sound like that does not come into play until after the Recovery Menu/Mode has been accessed.
Try holding volume up longer instead of tapping it.

Cheeze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my procedure is this,

• power switch off completely (menu power options turn off, or hold power for about 12 seconds)
  • insert jig (shorting pin 1 and 10)
  • hold volume up
  • insert usb c cable to switch
  • inject payload
works for me every time.

Last edited by Cheeze,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try jamming more metal in there. Seriously, there is one reason why it's not working. You are not grounding pin 10 while holding Vol up + power. Before I got a jig I used a paper clip to ground pin 10 to the center screw of the joy-con rail. I bent the paperclip in such a way that I could place and hold one end to the screw and the other end was pressed against pin 10 allowing me to hold it in place with one hand and performing the button combo with the other. If you lack the dexterity to do it alone then get a friend to help or use something better like a wire or you could mod your joy-con. If you can't do it yourself I knowka guy that does tiny soldering. Good luck not destroying your joy-con rail pins.

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my jig came in, and after trying the process with it (yes, I installed a metal paper clip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K7M8XR ) it still failed because I'm not ZeroCool. I'm quite done with this, so I probably won't be back here for a while. I'm not upset with the community or anything. Simpley the process. As it stands I no longer have an interest in console hacking, so I'm just going to go.

I wish the Switch hacking scene good luck moving forward.

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my jig came in, and after trying the process with it (yes, I installed a metal paper clip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K7M8XR ) it still failed because I'm not ZeroCool. I'm quite done with this, so I probably won't be back here for a while. I'm not upset with the community or anything. Simpley the process. As it stands I no longer have an interest in console hacking, so I'm just going to go.

I wish the Switch hacking scene good luck moving forward.
Honestly you've either damaged your pins at this point or you're just a complete idiot. This is the easiest jailbreak to execute. If you can't handle something this simple without giving up, good riddance. It hasn't been patched, I did this on a switch I bought a few days ago with a paper clip on the 2nd try. Just took a little bending.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you do it with a USB? Do you have any pictures?
This is the only one I can find since not a lot of people chose to use f0f's jig.

Attachments

• DbepjARVMAA-zRy.png
    DbepjARVMAA-zRy.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: fallingrat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That you'll only see once +1