Hacking Discussion Paper-clip trick no longer works.

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 5.1.0 Switch, and the paper clip trick does not work for it. The guides say I need to turn off my switch, and then use the clip to connect pins 1 and 10. Then, I need to tap Volume Up, and Power and I'll go into a recovery menu/mode. This does not happen, and the Switch just boots like normal.

I've been turning off my Switch by holding down the power button, then selecting power options, and power off. Does it need to only be in Sleep Mode for this to work?

Also, I have no payloads on my SD card yet. The guides make it sound like that does not come into play until after the Recovery Menu/Mode has been accessed.

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just so you know the switch does not do a screen init when it enters RCM it will seem like nothing happened.. if when you do that and the Nintendo logo doesn't show up then just plug into your device to send the payload (after putting the files on your SD)

Also no the switch must be 100% powered off

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also it's only pin 10 :) so you can ground pin 10 to any of them and it should work

Last edited by OblivionReign,
Reactions: The9thBit

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info that it's pin 10 and any other, @SkyQueen

I heard there was a easy way to do this with a joycon that breaks the joycon. I have an extra Joycon Right, so could someone give me more info on that?

Reactions: OblivionReign

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't bother with Pin 1, the whole joycon rail is grounded, I've literally used a staple before to get in RCM. Just worry about touching Pin 10, and make sure that part of the paperclip touches the rail at the same time.

You're far better off using a piece of wire though, a paperclip will wear out your pins eventually.

Install AutoRCM and you'll never have to worry about shorting pins again.

Reactions: Lacius and AlexCD17
D

Deleted User

Thanks for the info that it's pin 10 and any other, @SkyQueen

I heard there was a easy way to do this with a joycon that breaks the joycon. I have an extra Joycon Right, so could someone give me more info on that?
Open up the joycon. Take the rail aside. Look near the bottom, where the pins are. You'll see where the ribbon circuit is, there's 10 solder points.

Solder either points 9 & 10 together, or 1 & 10 together. Just a tiny wire is needed, though a resistor, usually a 10K ohm resistor, is apparently better, incase the pins pull oddly high.

Edit: https://gbatemp.net/threads/resistors-for-joycon-rail-mod.508520/#post-8087499
Theres a picture in that thread on what you're looking for, and what pins to do.

Last edited by ,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the fact that joy-con latest FW also detects pin 9 and 10... Its just better to solder a magnetic switch or mod the detach pin with 2 contacts to trigger pin 10 when fully pressed or add a physical button.

Resistor I think is undetectable too, but I would totally prefer having a ON\OFF setting than a continuous short with or without a resistor.

ps: And don't touch all pins... Its either 10 + 1, 7 or 9 if I remember well, the others might damage joy-con or console.

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you connect it to pin 4 you're in for a bad time
I just use a safety pin to ground 10 to the housing behind it, it's very easy

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@StarGazerTom @SkyQueen @RHOPKINS13

So, I made a video. I don't get how this isn't working...

Are you trying to fry your Switch? If so, keep trying to bridge all the pins together with that strip of foil.

If you're trying to enter RCM, take the foil off and just use the two legs of the paper clip to touch pin 1 and 10, they're both located on the furthest edges of the right Joy-Con rail, opposite each other(one closest to the front and one closest to the back of the Switch).

CyanPrime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to fry your Switch? If so, keep trying to bridge all the pins together with that strip of foil.

If you're trying to enter RCM, take the foil off and just use the two legs of the paper clip to touch pin 1 and 10, they're both located on the furthest edges of the right Joy-Con rail, opposite each other(one closest to the front and one closest to the back of the Switch).
So I know HOW to enter RCM mode, but it feels like this post is just saying "Are you trying to lose the football game? Just make a touchdown!"

I am aware that grounding pin 10 is suppose to enter RCM,and I tried quite a bit to get pin 10 grounded before trying that. Nothing changed. Maybe some kind of eFuze was burned on a silent update to 5.1.0? But I'm a coder, developer, and even managed do a little bit with hardware, and if I can't follow these "simple" instructions then I'd say that ether something easier needs to be instructed, or the result has been patched.

Reactions: Darth Meteos

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my mind, the only two long-term solutions to entering RCM are getting a proper jig or installing AutoRCM.

I have one of these paperclips, and it works 95% of the time, but once I'm booting into RCM more often, it's just going to be a means to install AutoRCM.

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I know HOW to enter RCM mode, but it feels like this post is just saying "Are you trying to lose the football game? Just make a touchdown!"

I am aware that grounding pin 10 is suppose to enter RCM,and I tried quite a bit to get pin 10 grounded before trying that. Nothing changed. Maybe some kind of eFuze was burned on a silent update to 5.1.0? But I'm a coder, developer, and even managed do a little bit with hardware, and if I can't follow these "simple" instructions then I'd say that ether something easier needs to be instructed, or the result has been patched.
RCM can’t be fixed in software

xenofly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I damaged my pin 10. It works fine, but still very crooked and i can't reach with paper clip and even jig. But even so i enter RCM without a promlem with foil trick. And yes, i suggest you Auto RCM asap.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OK, so you know how bridging all the pins is not a good idea, yet you show doing it in the video you posted.

The process is easy, you're just doing it wrong. But as my original post was pointing out, you're risking damaging your console.

My posted was intended on informing you that using the foil across the paper clip like you did is dangerous, nothing else.

Anyway, since you're an all-knowing developer and coder I'll leave you be. Good luck!

Reactions: keeganator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father