Gaming Overlooked GBA gems?

Resident0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive been playing my PSP so much lately i forgot how great the old GBA was, what (under 128Mbit) GBA games are good that i might have missed?

I don't really play many GBA games so i won't be up to date with the release lists.

smile.gif

Sinic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Karnaj Rally I beleive is the name. Awsome racing game that reminds me of Death Rally ... damn I want to play it now
smile.gif

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lego drome racers is extremely fast and 3d
kind of like virtua racing, with s.t.u.n. Runner speeds

Nah, that game has repetitive music and alot of glithcs and other issues. I like the looks of it though, but the music really really annoys me, what with its only 2 tracks of music x-x.

I think the Stunt Racer Hot Wheels game was better, I forget the name of it, but it was the one with the same 3d graphics engine, it seemed to pull off the idea alot better. I do like the classic look of the tracks though.

In my opion Sims Bustin Out was a good under rated title. It seems crappy at first, but once you get into it its sorta like a cheap Animal Crossing ripoff. Wich in turn is good for Animal Crossing withdrawls when AC just doesnt get any newer o-o.
The game is more based around a mission system though, but its not too bad.

Space Invaders for GBA, the old one was a nice remix of the classic, though the japanese version doesnt have the annoying intro, so its best to go with that instead of the US version.

Top Gear Rally is a good racer too, better than V-Rally if you ask me. Though V-rally is just nice
happy.gif

Oh and the Monster Truck Madness game, that port to GBA is actually really fun. Its like an old monster truck arcade game almost, just race and smash stuff. Graphics arent too bad either.

I could think of more, but I keep forgeting. Alot of nice ones really.
A good hours worth of a rummage through the GBArms list (with pictures if you can grab em) is definitly worth the time
tongue.gif

SilverGenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
lego drome racers is extremely fast and 3d
kind of like virtua racing, with s.t.u.n. Runner speeds

Nah, that game has repetitive music and alot of glithcs and other issues. I like the looks of it though, but the music really really annoys me, what with its only 2 tracks of music x-x.

I think the Stunt Racer Hot Wheels game was better, I forget the name of it, but it was the one with the same 3d graphics engine, it seemed to pull off the idea alot better. I do like the classic look of the tracks though.

In my opion Sims Bustin Out was a good under rated title. It seems crappy at first, but once you get into it its sorta like a cheap Animal Crossing ripoff. Wich in turn is good for Animal Crossing withdrawls when AC just doesnt get any newer o-o.
The game is more based around a mission system though, but its not too bad.

Space Invaders for GBA, the old one was a nice remix of the classic, though the japanese version doesnt have the annoying intro, so its best to go with that instead of the US version.

Top Gear Rally is a good racer too, better than V-Rally if you ask me. Though V-rally is just nice
happy.gif

Oh and the Monster Truck Madness game, that port to GBA is actually really fun. Its like an old monster truck arcade game almost, just race and smash stuff. Graphics arent too bad either.

I could think of more, but I keep forgeting. Alot of nice ones really.
A good hours worth of a rummage through the GBArms list (with pictures if you can grab em) is definitly worth the time
tongue.gif
or you can check all the (U) releases on g-online here
smile.gif
same thing, less effort

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
i thought starsky and hutch was very good for what it offered, a free roaming city, pseudo 3d cars (made of hundreds of single pixel sprites) far better than GTAA and that other one.. I forget what its called

colin mc rae rally 2.0 mother fucking owns imo, best GBA racer.

I cant think of many overlooked GBA games that would be new to an emulating comunity.. theres a lot for those who buy just cartridges...

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends what kind of games you like, but being the puzzle / platform fiend that I am...

Puzzle: "It's Mr Pants". One of my housemates was utterly addicted to it on her mobile phone, and when it came out on GBA I found out why. Lost a fair chunk of my life to this one
happy.gif
Also "Denki Blocks"; that one's kinda fun, and difficult enough in the later levels that I still haven't managed to complete it.

I also second the "Guru Logic Champ" that guy mentioned earlier; why that game didn't get translated and released outside of Japan is a complete mystery.

Platform: "Klonoa; Empire of Dreams". A bit too easy, but perfect material when you're killing time waiting for dinner to cook. And lets not forget the Japanese "Densetsu no Stafy" games, but I think everyone here knows about those already. They rock (even without having the faintest idea what most of the plot is
wink.gif
)

"Aleck Bordon Adventure - Tower & Shaft Advance" is quite entertaining once you get the hang of it; wouldn't say it's brilliant, but it'll keep you occupied for a few hours. It's in Japanese so I haven't got a clue what the menus are for though; anyone found a guide?

And believe it or not, I've just discovered that Scrabble Junior is pretty good for brainless 15 minuite timewasting (even though the computer player cheats by knowing all the valid 2 letter words and doesn't accept the word "penis"; that would've given me a 4-point lead dammit!
laugh.gif
)

Before y'all lay the smackdown on me for my crap taste in games don't forget that you're not supposed to hit girls
tongue.gif

Jeda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kuru Kuru Kururin (spelling?) and the jap only succussor Kururin Paradise are fun... if you ignore they are about a bird flying a helicopter
wink2.gif
It's kinda difficult too, especially if you are a 100% kind of person

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Don´t forget about Wade Hixton´s Counter Punch, it´s my favorite box game..after Punch Out!
The characters are funny and the music is great and I can hear it WO earphones!
Give it a try
spunch2.jpg
spunch1.jpg

Sweet
gbasp.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably get ripped on for this by the fanboys of the original on PC since the game kinda does need analog, but Wing Commander Prophecy.

Pretty damn overlooked, has most the CD game originals stages and faithfully recreated in full 3D polygonal goodness with amazing levels of texture detailing (well over V-Rally 3) and even has a fair bit of talking vocals during combat too. While it's not analog they tweaked the 'hit area' to be a bit more friendly so you can still pinpoint targets especially small fast shit like torpedoes heading at your cap ship.

I would have just said V-Rally 3 too but it was already said. Best damn racer on the GBA hands down. 3D aside the levels are well done, the modes are fun, and the detailing going into the handling from damage and the rest is top notch. On the 3D though it's like a mini version of a Saturn title in that it renders triangles and textures on them basically the same way but with a lot less memory to mess around with. Also it had a sweet in car view that would get blinded some from car damage that shatters the windshield.

reaperman

Trophies
XP
Country
as long as this thread is started, time to roll through the supercard and see what I can find.

the sprite racers are very pretty.
monster truck madness is very fluid--to the point of hypnosis
Motoracer Advance has some pretty long hills with incredible view distance
Moto GP is also a a bit of fun

kiddie racers:
motocross maniacs--excitebike only BIG with a learning curve.
shifting gears--kind of ugly and annoying, but you get hooked into upgrading your penny-racer and can't stop.

others
LuminesSweeper (homebrew)
battle picross (homebrew) when isn't picross fun?
Vice Poker (18+ homebrew) very fluid movie work, well executed.
Scooby Doo The Motion Picture. Kind of run-here-then-there adventure.
Scrabble (0382) (scrabble junior already mentioned, but I have no idea how to play it)
Ultimate Card Games--A more correct title has never been chosen (slim on poker variety)
Payback--pretty, with framerate issues. that winter stage...oooh...
Hardcore Pinball or Pinball Challenge Deluxe (pick one)
Game & Watch Gallery--can't stop...

..."it's Mr. Pants"? I'll be giving that one a whirl. No chance I would have thought to before this thread came about.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DOH I knew I forgot a good one to mention most would forget... Pinball Challenge Deluxe... hell I even imported it. :\

Basically a perfect rendition of both the Amiga/DOS/SNES classic packages of both Pinball Dreams and Fantasies all rolled into one cart.

Best pinball package you can get by far anywhere, and for sure on GBA.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also second the "Guru Logic Champ" that guy mentioned earlier; why that game didn't get translated and released outside of Japan is a complete mystery.
This is all pretty old and every one is still all DS infatuated (and I don't blame them. I am guilty of it too) but for obvious reasons, I love that game and it would be a HUGE hit if it ever was released here. No reason there should not be a DS version.
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one