Hacking Original Wii system channels do work fine on Vwii!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not really practical news.

But since there's a lot of misinformation around what is OK to do and what isn't in Vwii (and wiiu mode), might as well contribute a fact: dumps of the stock Wii channels, of the retired Wiiconnect24 freeware channels, and of Youtube work fine

http://imgur.com/a/zaVk0

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You mean the System channels from wii installed on vwii?
So you have 2 Mii Channels? if they share the same TitleID you probably replaced the vWii version with the old Wii version.

I'll edit your title to reflect that you talk about the system channel, because it's already known that Wii channels are working (VC, Wiiware).
Though, custom (homebrew/forwarder) Wii channel are not working and requires a conversion.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, the official wiiu mii channel has the same titleid (and current version) of the official wii one, in fact I manually uninstalled it first just in case!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You may have noticed that, in those pictures, I accidentally installed the stub ("region free") version of the weather channel, that just opens the update prompt...

...but only today I clicked no, and discovered you can access the full Vwii settings that way!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice find.
You can open it, but can you see and edit any settings without issue? are they not bricking vWii or messing with vWii settings? (for example video or network settings are read from WiiU settings, not the Wii ones)
before editing anything, verify the settings are read and loaded correctly, and be sure you have a backup of the settings or even full vWii fs dump in case of issues.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
are they not bricking vWii or messing with vWii settings? (for example video or network settings are read from WiiU settings, not the Wii ones)
Haven't tried all of them, but chances are the WiiU mode settings are copied to the Wii ones when changed or on every Vwii cold boot (this has been true for DS on DSi, DS on 3DS, Gamecube on Wii...)

In fact earlier today I used a long forgotten Wii homebrew (Wii Config) to enable Wiiconnect24 to get the news channel to work (on Riiconnect24 of course), remembered I didn't have the correct DNS so went to the Wii U settings to put it in (this was before I found out the trick in the video) and it was back off.
Or maybe I just forgot to save the changes :D

"Updating" is safe, but only with quotes, because it will fail due to custom DNS and I don't really want to try for real :)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to enable Wiiconnect24 every time you launch vWii. So maybe you are right and some settings are read from WiiU and overwritten every time you launch it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc