ROM Hack Question .Opus audio headers for navigators? (Groove Coaster)

fishymart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on modding this game with Travis Touchdown as a navigator overlaying Aoi (see travis.jpg). I'm able to listen to/convert the .wav.opus files just fine in Foobar. The game is recognizing the files - it just crashes on the main menu as soon as it does. After doing some research, I heard that it may not be passing a check from an audio header. Scrolling down I found VoiceList.csv and I'm not really sure what I have. What I do know is that the file name vl_aoi/jp_navi_vl_aoi_game_012.wav is the file I edited that caused the crashes, and that Miitopia has similar file formats.

Would anyone have a clue as to what I'm looking at here? Is it similar to any other games with .opus files?

Attachments

• travis.jpg
    travis.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
  • opus.PNG
    opus.PNG
    49.8 KB · Views: 134
  • opus2.PNG
    opus2.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 116

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This csv seems to list of files used by encoder to know how to convert data. wav is original uncompressed data, 80 is probly fixed size of opus chunk.

My guess is that your header is not fully compatible with game's audio reader or your encode is not fully compatible with game. There are many games using opus on Switch and most of them are using their own header.

Last edited by masagrator,

fishymart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This csv seems to list of files used by encoder to know how to convert data. wav is original uncompressed data, 80 is probly fixed size of opus chunk.

My guess is that your header is not fully compatible with game's audio reader or your encode is not fully compatible with game. There are many games using opus on Switch and most of them are using their own header.

I think I get what you're saying. FWIW I did have one instance where I replaced a voice clip file and the game didn't crash automatically, but I wasn't able to find the instance where the sound is supposed to play so I couldn't test it. I used a smaller file than the one I used for vl_aoi/jp_navi_vl_aoi_game_012.wav.opus, the voice line that plays on the main menu, which caused the crash. I'm not sure if this means it's a sizing issue.

It also could be something with Foobar. I know that VGMstream has .opus formatting, but it mentions Famicom Detective Club and internal looping in the update notes, so it may be converting the audio to a format used for audio looping.

I'm dumping all this because I'm not really sure where to go from here. Would my best bet be to poke around the files with a hex editor and hope I get lucky? I've found character information but nothing about audio tracks so far.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think I get what you're saying. FWIW I did have one instance where I replaced a voice clip file and the game didn't crash automatically, but I wasn't able to find the instance where the sound is supposed to play so I couldn't test it. I used a smaller file than the one I used for vl_aoi/jp_navi_vl_aoi_game_012.wav.opus, the voice line that plays on the main menu, which caused the crash. I'm not sure if this means it's a sizing issue.

It also could be something with Foobar. I know that VGMstream has .opus formatting, but it mentions Famicom Detective Club and internal looping in the update notes, so it may be converting the audio to a format used for audio looping.

I'm dumping all this because I'm not really sure where to go from here. Would my best bet be to poke around the files with a hex editor and hope I get lucky? I've found character information but nothing about audio tracks so far.
vgmstream is reading only data that is required to read stream. So other data like loops are omitted.

fishymart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vgmstream is reading only data that is required to read stream. So other data like loops are omitted.
Yeah I figured. Not sure why I thought that tbh lol

I tried Google Sheets instead of Excel and the categories translated into Japanese. From left to right, it says //file name, volume, loop, and resident. I'm not really sure what resident means, but it's only used in the sound effects csv anyways.

I'll probably be okay from here and try to work it out on my own. Thanks for the help :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yay solitude again