Gaming [Opinion] The Switch isn’t powerful enough for a web browser

KingMuk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is most definitely not the reason IMO.
Ninty just fears a fatass Web exploit like the 3DS/WiiU

I..mean can you blame them? Ninty are just flat out shook. lol

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do!? Are you on Windows 98 or is this just an example?

The laptop is a Toshiba Pentium 2 233 lol with 96megs of ram windows 98. I have a PCMIA WIFI card to get it internet access. I had to use the floppy drive to load the drivers. It does not have Ethernet but it does have one usb port and since its windows 98 Second edition i got usb flash drives to work.

Let me see if this site loads on that laptop lol

Last edited by Captain_N,
Reactions: Deleted User

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's see here... I've had several shitty Android devices that browse the web fine, back in 2009. I've had no issues using the web on my DSI. So what kind of fuckery are you on about OP? The Switch can definitely handle a web browser, as long as RAM management is a high priority.

ChromoTec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to a friend's belief, the switch does not have a web browser because most of the exploits for the 3DS were found in the web browser. I find this to be a convincing argument.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 3DS could not with all games, but yes most games. The 3DS wasn't competing with any other consoles and didn't struggle to run its games, which is why they were able to keep a section of memory/power for the browser and other mini apps. The Switch is directly competing with Xbox One and PS4, and its power is just enough to run its games, which means that they can't set aside a sufficient amount of memory to run an internet browser that well. And in that sense, why include one at all.
Actually, the new3DS did multi-tasking just fine and I just tested with suspending Pokemon UM and then entering the web browser. The old3DS struggled due to hardware limitations and having to reboot the system for high memory games in order to reallocate resources for that game. This was just a hardware limitation for the old3DS and did not affect the new3DS/New3DS hardware.
That being said, the Switch is more than powerful enough to run a web browser and the choice to omit one is most likely rooted in just how many times the browsers on their systems were used for exploits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo