Hacking Opening System settings just shows "Ver. 11.4.0-37U" NOT "Sys. -latest ver-"(CFW sysnand wont load?)

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
decided to use pokebank

That was your mistake. You cannot use Pokébank on a hacked system. Well, you can, but it WILL delete invalid tickets, because it connects to the eShop servers and checks them. Avoid it like the plague. Use PKSM instead.

If you just have to use the app, boot into GodMode9 first, then backup 1:/dbs/ticket.db beforehand. Then when it does this again, just copy the backup back to restore your tickets.

With B9S there is absolutely no reason to even use an emuNAND and, if you followed the guide properly when going from RXTools>A9LH you wouldn't have an emuNAND now anyway. It has you copy your emuNAND to sysNAND so you can use the system as close to "stock" as possible.

That's not exactly true. There are reasons to use EmuNAND with B9S. I'm one of those day one people. Therefore, I have a GW cart. I have been collecting since the scene started releasing, so, most of said collection is in .3DS format. Therefore, I have a very good reason to use an EmuNAND. To play my existing collection in a hassle-free manner. No one in their right mind wants to convert hundreds of ROMs to CIAs. Especially when the only thing it does (aside from enable online play without a header, online play being something very few games overall even have) is make the games take longer to install. CIAs are only convenient when they're being installed directly to the system via Freeshop or CIAngel. Which work great. But we didn't have Luma and Freeshop in 2014. We had Palantine. GW was the choice of reason then. It's not now, but there's still three very good reasons to keep using it if you've already got it -- extra card slot, ROM loading, and the best cheat engine. Especially considering EmuNAND only occupies one to two measly little Gigabytes on our massive 64 and 128 GB cards, and that once it's setup, running GW alongside Luma is even easier than having a Blu-Ray player and Fire Stick connected to the same TV (BTW, good luck convincing such a person to throw away their Blu-Ray player that they spent good money on). Keep in mind, you're not everyone. Just because you waited until mid-2016 to hack your system doesn't mean everyone else did.

Another use is to get to the home menu faster by installing 9.2 and Menuhax. Maybe that's not the most practical use, however, if your card is 64 GB or larger, it's probably even less practical to back the card up, format it, and copy everything back over just to reclaim that relatively tiny amount of space EmuNAND is taking up. So, if you've got an EmuNAND you no longer use, and you just can't be bothered to do all that copying back and forth, the much easier thing to do is just run TinyFormat to unlink it if it's not already, and then downgrade/update it to 9.2 and install Menuhax. It's great for launching *hax fast for homebrew that needs it, like Spectre3DS.

Now, I'm not trying to be overly critical or anything. Most of your post was good. Your advised solution was the correct one. Though your diagnosis of the cause was incorrect. It was actually Pokébank that deleted the invalid tickets, because it phones home to the eShop servers and checks them. I had to reinstall games for several people when that thing first came out. Fun times. Pokébank just cannot be used with hacked systems (unless, of course, you either backup ticket.db right before you run it, every time, or use an EmuNAND to keep it separate from everything else ;) ). They should probably just download PKSM, and use that instead. This will keep happening if they keep using Pokébank.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was your mistake. You cannot use Pokébank on a hacked system. Well, you can, but it WILL delete invalid tickets, because it connects to the eShop servers and checks them. Avoid it like the plague. Use PKSM instead.

If you just have to use the app, boot into GodMode9 first, then backup 1:/dbs/ticket.db beforehand. Then when it does this again, just copy the backup back to restore your tickets.

That's not exactly true. There are reasons to use EmuNAND with B9S. I'm one of those day one people. Therefore, I have a GW cart. I have been collecting since the scene started releasing, so, most of said collection is in .3DS format. Therefore, I have a very good reason to use an EmuNAND. To play my existing collection in a hassle-free manner. No one in their right mind wants to convert hundreds of ROMs to CIAs. Especially when the only thing it does (aside from enable online play without a header, online play being something very few games overall even have) is make the games take longer to install. CIAs are only convenient when they're being installed directly to the system via Freeshop or CIAngel. Which work great. But we didn't have Luma and Freeshop in 2014. We had Palantine. GW was the choice of reason then. It's not now, but there's still three very good reasons to keep using it if you've already got it -- extra card slot, ROM loading, and the best cheat engine. Especially considering EmuNAND only occupies one to two measly little Gigabytes on our massive 64 and 128 GB cards, and that once it's setup, running GW alongside Luma is even easier than having a Blu-Ray player and Fire Stick connected to the same TV (BTW, good luck convincing such a person to throw away their Blu-Ray player that they spent good money on). Keep in mind, you're not everyone. Just because you waited until mid-2016 to hack your system doesn't mean everyone else did.

Another use is to get to the home menu faster by installing 9.2 and Menuhax. Maybe that's not the most practical use, however, if your card is 64 GB or larger, it's probably even less practical to back the card up, format it, and copy everything back over just to reclaim that relatively tiny amount of space EmuNAND is taking up. So, if you've got an EmuNAND you no longer use, and you just can't be bothered to do all that copying back and forth, the much easier thing to do is just run TinyFormat to unlink it if it's not already, and then downgrade/update it to 9.2 and install Menuhax. It's great for launching *hax fast for homebrew that needs it, like Spectre3DS.

Now, I'm not trying to be overly critical or anything. Most of your post was good. Your advised solution was the correct one. Though your diagnosis of the cause was incorrect. It was actually Pokébank that deleted the invalid tickets, because it phones home to the eShop servers and checks them. I had to reinstall games for several people when that thing first came out. Fun times. Pokébank just cannot be used with hacked systems (unless, of course, you either backup ticket.db right before you run it, every time, or use an EmuNAND to keep it separate from everything else ;) ). They should probably just download PKSM, and use that instead. This will keep happening if they keep using Pokébank.
That's not true. I use the official bank on a hacked system and I've never once had to backup my tickets prior. It doesn't automatically remove anything on my end and I've been using it since release.....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's not true. I use the official bank on a hacked system and I've never once had to backup my tickets prior. It doesn't automatically remove anything on my end and I've been using it since release.....
I can prove it to you too if you'd like.......

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can prove it to you too if you'd like.......

I have dealt with several cases where people have lost their tickets by using Pokébank. Most of them were GW users, because they were actually using it right after it's release. You claim you've been using it since day one, but we can all see when you joined -- post-A9LH. It's possible Luma and other modern CFWs have protective measures in place that try to prevent this, but that error message just prevented them from kicking in or something. I have seen the losses first hand. It definitely was deleting tickets on GW systems when it first came out. And maybe you just got lucky, like those rare cases where someone didn't lose their DLC from going into the eShop or something. If you're going to use anything that accesses the eShop servers, you should backup your tickets just in case something like this happens.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I couldn't have bought Pokebank before joining the temp? I didn't join here until I learned about CFW which was a good while after owning a 3DS, not that it matters but a join date is hardly indicative of anything. I actually started with menuhacks and just regular homebrew, I've never stopped using Pokebank through exploit updates or anything.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I couldn't have bought Pokebank before joining the temp? I didn't join here until I learned about CFW which was a good while after owning a 3DS, not that it matters but a join date is hardly indicative of anything. I actually started with menuhacks and just regular homebrew, I've never stopped using Pokebank through exploit updates or anything.

The point is, to be using Pokébank with a hacked system since it was released, you would almost have to be a GW user (which I know you never were). Because it was pretty much the only show running at the time (obviously, it's not something I'd recommend now, but it was one of the two most exciting developments going in 2014, the other being The!Cart for the Atari 8-bit -- I get into everything, new and retro). As I said, they may have added code to CFW since then that compensates for this, or Nintendo may have changed their practices since then, or it could even have something to do with how CIAs used to be generated as opposed to how they're currently created. But for whatever reason, I had to reinstall games for a couple of friends that used it when it first came out.

Regardless, if they had a backup of ticket.db, they could have just restored it, instead of having to go the "install every ticket in existence" route. Speaking of which, they might want to use "tiksweep" to remove all those unused tickets (not that it hurts anything keeping them, I guess, since Wireshark analysis says your tickets don't get sent to Nintendo).

Even if it was something else that caused the problem, it's still not a bad idea to back up ticket.db regularly. It's a small file, so it takes very little time vs something like doing a complete NAND backup (which you really only need one of -- I could restore my ancient 9.2 NAND backup, then restore ticket.db, then re-update to 11.6, and you'd not see a difference, unless you went into the Activity Log, which, frankly, I don't even run).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is, to be using Pokébank with a hacked system since it was released, you would almost have to be a GW user (which I know you never were). Because it was pretty much the only show running at the time (obviously, it's not something I'd recommend now, but it was one of the two most exciting developments going in 2014, the other being The!Cart for the Atari 8-bit -- I get into everything, new and retro). As I said, they may have added code to CFW since then that compensates for this, or Nintendo may have changed their practices since then, or it could even have something to do with how CIAs used to be generated as opposed to how they're currently created. But for whatever reason, I had to reinstall games for a couple of friends that used it when it first came out.

Regardless, if they had a backup of ticket.db, they could have just restored it, instead of having to go the "install every ticket in existence" route. Speaking of which, they might want to use "tiksweep" to remove all those unused tickets (not that it hurts anything keeping them, I guess, since Wireshark analysis says your tickets don't get sent to Nintendo).

Even if it was something else that caused the problem, it's still not a bad idea to back up ticket.db regularly. It's a small file, so it takes very little time vs something like doing a complete NAND backup (which you really only need one of -- I could restore my ancient 9.2 NAND backup, then restore ticket.db, then re-update to 11.6, and you'd not see a difference, unless you went into the Activity Log, which, frankly, I don't even run).
I never said I was using a hacked system since Pokemon bank released, just that I've been using the app going from OFW to homebrew to CFW and I've never experienced any loss of tickets in the process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.