Open-source Symbian and Nokia N-Gage emulator "EKA2L1" releases on Android

Taco phones are on the menu tonight. A new emulator called EKA2L1 has released on the Google Play Store, and is designed to emulate Symbian devices, as well as the Nokia N-Gage, the latter of which was a "gaming phone" released in 2003. Though it began development around two years ago, last week marked the first release of a stable Android build. EKA2L1 works primarily on 64-bit devices, though it does have limited "experimental" support for devices that use 32-bit architecture. Right now, it can emulate three different forms of Symbian: S60v1, S60v3, and S60v5, with high compatibility for the fair few N-Gage games that exist, like Sonic N, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Rayman 3, and others.

The emulator requires some setting up, meaning you'll need to acquire the right firmware files for your platform of choice, move them to your Android device, and into the right folder--fairly simple, if you know where to get them. EKA2L1 is also an open-source project, so if you're interested in seeing the finer details of the emulator, you can check it out on the project's GitHub page.

A EKA2 ROM (Symbian 8.2 or upper), is needed for this emulator to run game. You should see an access violation warning when launch an app/game without a ROM. EKA1 ROM can be loaded, but game can't be ran.

• Dumping EKA1 ROM
    • Compile SDumper or get a compiled copy on Discord, and using it to dump the ROM
  • Dumping EKA2 ROM
    • Download ROMPatcher+.
    • Using Dump ROM option to dump the ROM.
  • Dumping ROFS+ROM to RPKG
    • EKA2L1 requires a Z drive archive, which consists of ROFS+ROM, for performance and system critical booting. To do this, first, download Dumber and install it..
    • Launch Dumberdore app in the menu. Choose Options/Dump RPKG and choose location.
After getting both of the ROM and the RPKG, use the installer in EKA2L1 UI to install them.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hot damn, this is my time, this is what I've been waiting for. I was one of those teens who *did* have an N-Gage, and there are some dope forgotten gems on that platform which nothing runs well these days besides one obscure and well out-of-date emulator that's no longer in development. Happy to see this, Pathway to Glory (base and the expansion) and WH40K: Glory in Death alone are worth downloading an emulator for, and there's a lot more to play on Symbian.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Neat!

Are there worthwhile games exclusive to the N-gage though? I thought it was all crappy ports....
Worthwhile, probably not. But there are The Elder Scrolls Travels games, and a couple Resident Evil ones, though it's just a Japanese mobile version of 4 (so, the iOS game), and one based on the CGI film Resident Evil Degeneration. I'm sure there are a couple notable ones I'm forgetting though. The worthwhile ones are probably Civilization and Super Monkey Ball Jr. if they were good ports.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: Phearoz

Gronbar

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
Hot damn, this is my time, this is what I've been waiting for. I was one of those teens who *did* have an N-Gage, and there are some dope forgotten gems on that platform which nothing runs well these days besides one obscure and well out-of-date emulator that's no longer in development. Happy to see this, Pathway to Glory (base and the expansion) and WH40K: Glory in Death alone are worth downloading an emulator for, and there's a lot more to play on Symbian.

What games would you recommend? FPS was bad for 3d games like in this trailer?

phonemonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

Taco phones are on the menu tonight. A new emulator called EKA2L1 has released on the Google Play Store, and is designed to emulate Symbian devices, as well as the Nokia N-Gage, the latter of which was a "gaming phone" released in 2003. Though it began development around two years ago, last week marked the first release of a stable Android build. EKA2L1 works primarily on 64-bit devices, though it does have limited "experimental" support for devices that use 32-bit architecture. Right now, it can emulate three different forms of Symbian: S60v1, S60v3, and S60v5, with high compatibility for the fair few N-Gage games that exist, like Sonic N, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Rayman 3, and others.

The emulator requires some setting up, meaning you'll need to acquire the right firmware files for your platform of choice, move them to your Android device, and into the right folder--fairly simple, if you know where to get them. EKA2L1 is also an open-source project, so if you're interested in seeing the finer details of the emulator, you can check it out on the project's GitHub page.

:arrow: Source

Skyrim? Wonder if Todd was involved in this. :lol:

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?