Cemu Wii U emulator goes open source, Linux version now available

dddddddddddddddddddddd.png

The Cemu development team hyped some big features and changes coming to their emulator, back in January, and now they're delivering on those promises. In the latest release of the emulator, Cemu 2.0, it is now fully open source. There is also a brand new Linux version, allowing users to emulate their Wii U games on the platform, though they are currently preliminary builds. A new GitHub repository is available to check out, starting at the 2.0 release build. As for the Linux version, a pre-built release is only available for Ubuntu 20.04, meaning that you'll need to compile it yourself if you plan on using it with other distros.

:arrow: Download / Source

Willgheminass

The Ultimate Pink Lurker
Trophies
Website
rhylnzux.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy that they did this. I wasn't aware people had to resort to making wine prefixes or whatever to get it working before this announcement so having a native Linux build is nice to have if I or anyone ever gets into Wii U emulation on a Linux platform.

Reactions: Neo127

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Giving a quick look through the github it seems like the linux build is not yet quite ready for the average enduser, there are still a few things not quite working and need to be manually fixed. Though it seems it's mostly just smaller stuff so we may have a working build for noobs in a few weeks or days.

I didn't see anything about performance differences yet, but considering it's also running vulkan it shouldn't be too much of a delta between the two in most scenarios.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now the real question is...
How well does this benefit or impact running Cemu on the Steam Deck?
Is the LInux build better or still has ways to go compared to the previous method they had for running something like BotW on Steam Deck with Cemu?
Exzap said in the Discord channel that the Linux build is not on par with the Windows build since it is so new. But going open source, it should catch up pretty quickly.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome! now I can actually give this a try. I don't expect it to take too long for the Linux port to mature.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Needs to be meged with Dolphin. The GC and wii have older lower spec architecture similar to the wii-u
Both will benefit from this

But why? Merging Dolphin to Cemu would make the requirements to run GC/Wii stuff way too high.
They're better off separated. I don't see a reason why merging them should be a thing.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

xbmcuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But why? Merging Dolphin to Cemu would make the requirements to run GC/Wii stuff way to high.
They're better off separated. I don't see a reason why merging them should be a thing.
Probably never happen but
Some of the advantages i can think of:

Shared resources devs,
shared code.
Common interface
large dolphin dev community
dolphin is ported to many sysrems

Dont have to run wii-u bit on your system if it cant cope.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Needs to be meged with Dolphin. The GC and wii have older lower spec architecture similar to the wii-u
Both will benefit from this
The devs of Dolphin and Cemu have both stated in the past that the architecture between the GC/Wii and the WiiU are too different to merge.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only thing GC/Wii stuff benefits from is the better clocks of the WiiU.
Don't forget that the WiiU basically has the entirety of the Wii's hardware in it, when you play a Wii game, you basically switch into Wii Mode and cease to be in WiiU's side of things. Another reason why that won't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I bet you don't pirate game either