1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    What touch controls? :unsure:

2. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    Pretty sure he means the touch controls of the Android emulator, comparing them to how awkward the NGage's garbage face buttons and D-Pad are.

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  3. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Portugal
    Why not just play it on GBA or a GBA emulator? XD

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Ahhh, that makes sense.

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  5. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    While I do applaud people being able to play it again for preservation's sake, Sonic N is just an awful port of Sonic Advance. There's no extra content or anything, it's just got compressed graphics in an awful aspect ratio that make it hard to see what's coming, tinny audio, worse physics, and a generally pretty bad reception among those who have played it.

Sterophonick and raxadian like this.
  6. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My last Nokia phone was the first and only Flagship I bought from them, the Nokia N96.
    It was a sweet Smartphone for its time, and it had the best N-Gage capabilities Nokia ever released.
    It also paired well to their line of Wireless Headsets, of which I bought the BH-604.

But that's about as far as I can force those rose-tinted glasses on myself.

Support for the OS ended a few months into 2009, barely a year after release and the N-Gage Library is a gimmick at best.
    I mostly used the phone to watch YouTube, listen to MP3s, video-call and chat, all of which worked remarkably well and, with that metal body, felt the most comfortable out of all the Nokia line-up.

I still believe Symbian could be a viable OS in 2021 for standard Telephony, and I actually wouldn't mind owning a nice metal phone with this OS in the future, just focused on those core aspects. As for an N-Gage Emulator, as a former N-Gage User, I can appreciate its novelty, but not much else when there are Emulators of better Gaming peripherals.

Last edited by tomasowa, Apr 19, 2021 - Reason: Nostalgia.
    StrayGuitarist likes this.
  7. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Symbian had a lot of great games, hence why I have keep my Nokia N8.

The_Green_Nerd likes this.
  8. xatzimi

xatzimi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    This still doesn't support N-Gage 2.0 games right? Such as Metal Gear Solid Mobile

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Define "bad". Framerate was choppy in some 3D titles, but that didn't bother me at the time, plus you could overclock the phone-sole which solved most issues. The control scheme was fairly simplistic and some of the games look outdated, there's a good chance nostalgia glasses are in full effect here, but remember - this thing was pegged against the GBA. In that context, a lot of the early portable 3D games looked mindblowing - you couldn't play stuff like that on the go before. Since the phone-sole was fairly easy to find cracked games for, I've played nearly every major official release, and then some (there's lots of homebrew available, as well as some cancelled official releases that were pretty much 100% complete but remained unreleased due to poor sales). Out of the ones I've tried, I would consider these to be must-play/try ones:
    • Pathway to Glory + Pathway to Glory: Ikusa Islands
    • WH40K: Glory in Death
    • Call of Duty (shush, it's the good OG one)
    • Red Faction
    • Requiem of Hell
    • System Rush
    • TES Travels: Shadowkey
    • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    • Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm
    • Tomb Raider
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    • Worms World Party
    • Asphalt 1 + 2
    • Pocket Kingdom: Own the World
    • Ashen
    Some of those games were later released on the DS or other systems and they're better-played on those since the aspect ratio of the N-Gage is a little annoying, but that's the original releases. There was also a wealth of strictly Symbian OS 6 stuff, and lots of homebrew. I remember having a great time with it, and I sure do miss it.
    Don't do it, don't do it! :lol:

One thing I will say, Sonic N is a waste of time - just play Sonic Advance instead, it's the same game, but with better aspect ratio (and curiously better performance) on Nintendo's system.

10. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Isn't a symbian for pleasuring the ladies?

THEELEMENTKH likes this.
  11. CaptainHIT

CaptainHIT GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Wow! Finally! There were some Symbian games I liked to play. I hope the touch controls are better than on the originals phones.

12. The_Green_Nerd

The_Green_Nerd Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    No! Symbian OS has nothing to do with Palm OS. JAR and JAD files are playable on almost every featurephone.
    Nokia used. SIS files for it's packages.

yuyuyup likes this.
  13. ClickCLK

ClickCLK Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Serbia, Republic of
    I've waiting for this so long. Finally an n-gage emulator.

But I didn't understand one thing from the video (I watched without sound, at work atm): is it emulating n-gage phone (I mean symbian 6-8) or n-gage 2.0 software platform (symbian 9 and up) or both? From the trailer it looks like both, but this are very different systems.

Anyways, there are good games on both of them. On n-gage I remember SSX Out of Bounds was amazing (this is a cut-down but full 3d version of SSX 3, much better than GBA version), Ashen (3d fps), pocket kingdom (rpg), mile high pinball - all this were exclusive, Asphalt urban gt 2 (best version port of this game imo), the sims bustin' out (very different from other sims games, more like an rpg with a story), sonic N and Colin McRae Rally were good ports too. There are also a couple of good strategy games, like Pathway to Glory 1 and 2, and The elder Scrolls Shadowkey, but I hadn't played them (but judjing by forum post of the time this were good games). Oh, and Worms World Party, but it has lost its appeal (ok port, but had local and online multiplayer back in the day).

And on the n-gage 2.0 we have the one and only Reset Generation - this is a very good game and a must play for any gaming fan. Seriously, please play it.

Flame likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    The software lock on the N-Gage ecosystem was completely artificial - there were always ways to run "N-Gage-specific" games on other compatible phones. Symbian in general runs sis/sisx and jad/jar (the latter being J2ME), and as long as the hardware is compatible, it won't complain (much). This seems to emulate the OS without any restrictions, so in theory it should run any Symbian executable. I think support for later Symbian revisions is coming in the future, but for now it seems to have pretty wide coverage.

15. Flame

Flame Me > You

I love reading good post with a person who have love for a niche device! :yay:

16. ClickCLK

ClickCLK Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Serbia, Republic of
    As I wrote earlier, n-gage and n-gage 2.0 was very different systems. The n-gage and n-gage qd (phones) runs on symbia 6.1 as i remember, and symbian software was backwards compatible up to symbian 8 (I think there was some problems on later symbian 8 versions, but I'm not sure, this was so long ago), but symbian 9 and up is NOT compatible with symbian 6-8 apps, and n-gage 2.0 was a software platform for symbian 9 phones. I do know that most original n-gage games woked on other symbian 6-8 phones (albeit with some problems, but there were patches), but n-gage phones and n-gage 2.0 platform are very different things (there never were n-gage 2.0 phone, only software platform). Even online services (n-gage arena) were incompatible.

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Well yes, N-Gage 2.0 was just a software distribution platform, not an actual phone, and older games are not binary-compatible with later revisions of the OS, or vice versa. I thought you meant that N-Gage 1.0 games were somehow specific to the N-Gage/N-Gage QD phones or the N-Gage 2.0 games were restricted to N-Gage 2.0-compatible phones, which isn't the case. Other than that, yes, S60v3 and onwards is different to first and second edition.

ClickCLK likes this.
  18. FanNintendo

FanNintendo GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Cool about time! I remember it had lot of buttons kinda like alien weapon in your hand

19. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Now I can play the Metal Gear Solid NGage version

20. EvilGoku

EvilGoku GBAtemp Regular

Finally! There were some Symbian games I liked to play ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - emulator, releases, Symbian