thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend and I are tired of fragging it out in deathmatches of unreal tournament, counter strike and what have you, so I need to find a new LAN game we can play.

We got the PC version of Halo hoping to play that all the way through on CoOp mode but alas, for some reason they removed cooperative play from the PC port.

I've been looking around but it seems like games just stopped implementing multiplayer co-op mode after like Quake 2.

So games we have that are co-op, but that we are starting to get sick of are...

Doom II
Quake II
Duke Nukem 3D
... and thats all I can think of right now.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Alien Vs Predator 1 has a Co-Op mode survival stuff pretty cool in my opinion, although i dont know if Alien vs Predator 2 has it..

Nitro Family rocks!! Serious Sam 1 + 2 also have Co-op, and that rocks baby, i advise you guys to try Nitro Family, heck i had tons of fun with that Co-Op, taking down more then 30 enemies with a friend its amazing

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Co op games are unfortunately in short supply, FPS even more so (I was gutted that PC halo missed it when I got some decent machines together in a network a few years ago).

Not sure about internet play for some of these:
Spinter cell games have some co op play.
System Shock 2
Not played it my self but http://www.svencoop.com/ Half Life (1 and 2) mods.
Delta force games (one of the best co op games I have ever played actually, I seem to recall they are IPX only though)
Likewise more of Tom Clancy's games of the rainbow six/Ghost Recon ilk.
Operation Flashpoint

Stuff like Diablo, Dungeon Siege and Bauldur's gate make for great co op (3 or more make for great play).

A fair few RTS titles (age of empires springs to mind) also allow co op, good as I am less than stellar at resource gathering yet attack is good, it also makes for a good two pronged attack)

Good news if for half of those games you do not need much more than a 3 year old rig to play.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe is now freeware and has some great co-op mission (lots of tactics required, a single shot can be fatal and then a soldier of the squad is lost for the entire game).

ndela007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FPS:
Serious Sam (1 or 2, bunches of fun on the super hard modes)

RTS:
Dawn of War & expansions
Warcraft 3:FT (various custom maps have loads of content and save codes, if you are into that kind of thing)

RPG:
Titan Quest (diablo-ish clone by THQ, lots of people play the heck out of it)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (have yet to pick it up, but my friends say its a hoot)

All I can think of off the top of my head. Will get back to you if I remember anything later.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Steam is full of coop games. L4d, magicka, plain sight, tf2, etc.
Edit: svencoop is on it's last legs unfortunately. I remember days when it was full of all kinds of run crazy servers and maps, but the devs stopped bringing out updates and the user base slowly declined in favour of other, more popular mods. Last I checked, there were only 2 servers up and 6 users spread across them.

Diablo clones (Titan quest and the like) are the easiest to mention since they all use the same system with drop in multiplay.

Rts games are also easy to mention, although how much fun they are can vary a lot. Command and conquer, Dawn of war 2, supreme commander, Starcraft, etc.

Simulation games like freespace and freelancers are old gems in gaming history that never saw the popularity it deserved. Freespace 2 used to have a huge fanbase with fans eagerly creating new missions using the editor, until pax shut down th multiplayer servers. Openfreespace was created after the source codes were released and features a revamped multiplayer mode with updated graphics, but since it's fan made it's only had a limited following.

Fps games died a little after cod2 and halo achieved such fame. That's not to say they're all bad, but the style of death match fights are, IMO, nothing compared to unreal tournament and time splitters. All modern fps games are pretty much the same. Cod, battlefield, resistance, killzone etc.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hexen 2, an incredibly overlooked game. Using a modified Quake engine, it offers an 8-player online drop-in campaign mode.

It saddens me how no one has ever heard of this game, it's really great in every aspect apart from often getting you stuck as a new player (which a guide/walkthrough can solve).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1