Homebrew On 5.5.1. Haxchii installed and working. Any reason not to update?

Dimensio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Firmware 5.5.1 (as mentioned in the subject). As soon as 5.5.2 hit I blocked updates in DNS again. However, even then I had Haxchii working and I was accessing the Homebrew launcher through that.

Now that a 5.5.2 exploit exists, even if it is a bit less stable, do I have any reason to stick with 5.5.1? What am I risking if I go ahead and allow my console to update?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Firmware 5.5.1 (as mentioned in the subject). As soon as 5.5.2 hit I blocked updates in DNS again. However, even then I had Haxchii working and I was accessing the Homebrew launcher through that.

Now that a 5.5.2 exploit exists, even if it is a bit less stable, do I have any reason to stick with 5.5.1? What am I risking if I go ahead and allow my console to update?
as long as you have cbhc (ColdBootHaxchi) you are fine to update

Dimensio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as long as you have cbhc (ColdBootHaxchi) you are fine to update
Why would cbhc be a requirement? I understood that 5.5.2 does not disable a standard haxchi install. I am wary of using cbhc due to the risk of bricking.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would cbhc be a requirement? I understood that 5.5.2 does not disable a standard haxchi install. I am wary of using cbhc due to the risk of bricking.
there is no brick risk with haxchi as long as you actually pay for the ds vc game off of the eshop DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT FROM WII U USB HELPER YOU WILL BRICK

Dimensio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is no brick risk with haxchi as long as you actually pay for the ds vc game off of the eshop DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT FROM WII U USB HELPER YOU WILL BRICK
Like I said, I already have Haxchi installed and working on a legitimate purchased DS VC title. My question is only whether I now have any reason to keep my console on 5.5.1.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason not to update to 5.5.2 if you have Haxchi or CBHC, but there's also no reason to update either.

If you don't have Haxchi nor CBHC, then updating to 5.5.2 is not recommended because the browser exploit is unreliable.

Reactions: Ryccardo

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
There's no reason not to update to 5.5.2 if you have Haxchi or CBHC, but there's also no reason to update either.

If you don't have Haxchi nor CBHC, then updating to 5.5.2 is not recommended because the browser exploit is unreliable.
Is it as bad as it used to be in the 5.3.2 days?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it as bad as it used to be in the 5.3.2 days?
If you're lucky, you might be able to get the 5.5.2 browser exploit to boot 25-50% of the time. Others claim to have much worse luck.

I don't have any personal experience with the exploit, because my Wii U is on 5.5.2 with the 5.5.1 browser.

Reactions: VinsCool

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Like I said, I already have Haxchi installed and working on a legitimate purchased DS VC title. My question is only whether I now have any reason to keep my console on 5.5.1.
There's no real reason to update, but there's also no reason to NOT update. So, choose what you want to do.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no reason not to as long as you have haxchi installed everything will work exactly the same

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's no reason not to update.
Since it's obviously currently unknown how well 5.5.1 will handle Miiverse's closure, I updated to get the proper error message because there was no downside. (and because I was sick of blocking updates and getting that bouncing X)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason not to update.
Since it's obviously currently unknown how well 5.5.1 will handle Miiverse's closure, I updated to get the proper error message because there was no downside. (and because I was sick of blocking updates and getting that bouncing X)
Attempting to use the MiiVerse on 5.5.1 will likely result in a generic error message. It's no reason to update, since the MiiVerse won't work regardless.

Regardless of whether you're on 5.5.1 or 5.5.2, you should still block updates.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker