Hacking OMG! Just installed Wiikey with quick solder

ThE MaSTeR 3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 hours ago I had no Idea how to solder and now... I still have no idea. I got my wiikey today and planned on doing wire install but I just couldnt figure out how the proccessed worked even after reading this forum for hours. Well I decided to be an idiot and do the quick solder. I started by filling the 2 big holes with solder suprisingly everything looked good. Then I took a look at the 4 microscopic points and wish I could start over and keep trying the safer wire method but it was 2 late! Well I took the solder (which is a paperclip looking thing) and melted it to the tip of my 25watt soldering iron. Then I melted a bit on the wiikey then blindly tried to spread the solder onto the wii pad. I figured no way in hell this will work and I just ruined my wiikey and possibly my wii. I can garuntee you I came as close as humanly possible to bridging every single pad but I couldn' tell it was all just a blur 2 hours later of doing the same thing for the other 3 pads and I decided it was time to test a game.

Well I plugged everything in but didnt put the case back together and tested the wii and somehow it still turned on. The next test was a retail wii game to make sure my drive still worked and it played just perfect! Now the final test... I burnt luigis mansion at 2.4x with imgburn on my pioneer111d with cheap memorex dvd+r. Popped the disc in thinking no way in hell I pulled this off and somehow the gamecube icon appeared on the top left icon I launched the game and yes! Lugis mansion backup is running perfectly and the drive sounded 10x smoother than playing a wii game. Now I just need to put the case back together and pray the worlds worst solder job stays together.
grog.gif

btw I should post a screen of the sodering iron I used the tip is gigantic and factor in I have no idea what I was doing and did the harder method of installing the wiikey. The chances of me not ruining my wii and wiikey had to be like 1/25. Well I beat the odds and will never move my wii again in fear that I will screw up my solder job lol I should get some kind of award for pulling this off.

jamezco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dude ... you are like super duper hero ... i solder my wiikey wit wires first then only solder it on to my wii ... i was sh**ing bricks when i solder the wires to my wii ...

i had to shorten all the nicely cut wires so that the wires wont go to the other side of the solder ...

finally got it done as well
biggrin.gif

ThE MaSTeR 3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys I put the case back together (all I have is a crappy webcam anyway). On the very last screw I somehow stripped it (bottom tri-wing pad) so now I cant even get the screw out Hopefully I wont need to open the case again or Im screwed lol Well anyway Im going to test the crap out of my modded wii and see if I get any DRE then Im going to bed. Wow what a night...

Oh and I would recommend quick install if a smaller pen works like I think it would. Its funny looking back at this but I would have been so pissed at myself if I screwed up. I still have no idea how I pulled this off.

alanchiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is good to hear, I havent got a wii yet, but was considering getting one witha wiikey and doing the quicksolder method myself.
Hey Master 3, are you the same guy that used to post at NMZ?

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
congrads on the victory
nyanya.gif

i just finished ordering my wiikey when i read this
dude i s--t bricks just thinking about screwing up my wii----myyy preciooous errh golum erhhhg golum precious wii
rofl
ph34r.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
quicksolder has the best possible connection. and it will not come loose. why would you want to take the chip out anyway?

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quicksolder has the best possible connection. and it will not come loose. why would you want to take the chip out anyway?

I highly disagree. If done properly, wiring is your best choice. The quicksolder pads don't line up at all to the points on the drive. You'll be lucky if you can even get the chip quicksoldered in and working properly.

You'll have to sorta "spread" solder accross the chip and points to get them to connect properly, and this isn't a good idea, because you'll have more of a chance of bridging points, and unless you're careful, when you de-solder you can destroy the pads on the drive.

Plus, you may want to take the chip out in the future. No one knows for sure if these chips are truly "stealth", it's just something slick to say about your chip to sell it. Besides, these chips are only DRIVECHIPS, they do nothing more than allow burnt games to boot. Who knows, in the future there might be an option to load isos from a USB drive, replace the Wii menu (dashboard?), and run Wii homebrew. There's a very real possibility you'll want to remove the chip sometime in the future, and you can't disagree that removing the chip if it's quick soldered is going to be anything less than a pain in the ass.

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
www.consolehacker.net/wiikeyquicksolder.jpg

i think ill stick to my wire installs lol i aint good at quicksoldering, the board it too thick to do it so i cheated and put wires inside the solder, works a charm its just messy as hell lol

anyways if your planning on doing a quicksolder get a paper clip and hold it between the wiikey point and wii point and solder onto that, that SHOULD make them join together then quickly heat it up again and remove the paper clip. although the - and + (bigger points) you can just fill with solder and it will stick your wiikey to the drive then work from there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4