Hacking OLED HWFLY Clone won't boot OFW?

creesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

Bit of an amatuer installer probably done 15 or so without issue.

But this one is driving me mental, no matter what I try I can't get OFW to boot. Can create an emuMMC and boot CFW with not issues.

Restart to OFW or power + volume -/+ gives me a Nintendo logo and then nothing but a black screen.

The switch was brand new hadn't setup OFW prior to modding.

Thought it was a DAT0 problem but the alignment and diode measure seems fine (~.760 black probe on ground diode mode) the other values are within spec, someone remind me what they should be just in case.

If I remove the ribbon cable connectors from the chip OFW boots fine so it doesn't appear that anything on the board is damaged. Also tried another chip with the same results.

Could it be a chip firmware problem? I'm not sure what else to troubleshoots from here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys,

Bit of an amatuer installer probably done 15 or so without issue.

But this one is driving me mental, no matter what I try I can't get OFW to boot. Can create an emuMMC and boot CFW with not issues.

Restart to OFW or power + volume -/+ gives me a Nintendo logo and then nothing but a black screen.

The switch was brand new hadn't setup OFW prior to modding.

Thought it was a DAT0 problem but the alignment and diode measure seems fine (~.760 black probe on ground diode mode) the other values are within spec, someone remind me what they should be just in case.

If I remove the ribbon cable connectors from the chip OFW boots fine so it doesn't appear that anything on the board is damaged. Also tried another chip with the same results.

Could it be a chip firmware problem? I'm not sure what else to troubleshoots from here.

Any help would be appreciated.

What kinda clone?
If its rp2040 try replacing dat0 and cmd 47ohm resistors with 100ohm resistors that should solve the problem.
Some switches need 100ohm instead of the preinstalled 47ohm

creesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What kinda clone?
If its rp2040 try replacing dat0 and cmd 47ohm resistors with 100ohm resistors that should solve the problem.
Some switches need 100ohm instead of the preinstalled 47ohm
I've attached the photo of the board I'm using. I'm guessing it's the resistors next to the test points below the reset button?

Do you know what size they are off the top of your head?

Attachments

• 20231025_111745.jpg
    20231025_111745.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 36

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yepp that's one of those rp2040.
Should be those resistors , the size is 0201 I would say.
U can also add another 47 ohm some where down the line.
It all depends how u prefer doing it

creesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yepp that's one of those rp2040.
Should be those resistors , the size is 0201 I would say.
U can also add another 47 ohm some where down the line.
It all depends how u prefer doing it
Thanks for the help!

What's the preferred modchip now? I'm thinking about swapping my installs to intinctnx....seem to have a few issues with these clone type boards

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help!

What's the preferred modchip now? I'm thinking about swapping my installs to intinctnx....seem to have a few issues with these clone type boards

If you can find HWFLY v4 or v5 chip go with, those, you can also use instinct-nx. HWFLY RP2040 has the problem of corrupting the nand.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the help!

why dont u just take a waveshare rp2040 tiny and install it instead of the hwfly clone.
all other rp2040 are just clones and the firmware is written for the waveshare rp2040 zero/tiny.
ive done over 200 installs just with the original Picoflys and never had any issues.

i mean some devices still need 100ohm insted of 47 ohm but that device related and not every switch needs it
Post automatically merged:

If you can find HWFLY v4 or v5 chip go with, those, you can also use instinct-nx. HWFLY RP2040 has the problem of corrupting the nand.
well that eather a manufactoring or boarddesign issue cause i never had a corrupted nand because of the rp2040 Zero/Tiny

creesy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
why dont u just take a waveshare rp2040 tiny and install it instead of the hwfly clone.
all other rp2040 are just clones and the firmware is written for the waveshare rp2040 zero/tiny.
ive done over 200 installs just with the original Picoflys and never had any issues.

i mean some devices still need 100ohm insted of 47 ohm but that device related and not every switch needs it
Post automatically merged:

well that eather a manufactoring or boarddesign issue cause i never had a corrupted nand because of the rp2040 Zero/Tiny
I actually think I am totally wrong about the firmware version.

I think it's the ribbon cable that causes the issue and is why some consoles need 100ohm instead of 47ohm (it's caused by the ribbon cable)

I've ordered some 100ohm resistors to test the theory. But I removed the A, D, 3.3v, Gnd ribbon cable (left the cpu ribbon on) and wired all the other points direct and it fixed the issue no resistor swap necessary. I think it was mention in a sthethix video about the ribbon cables cause issues with OFW.

I don't think I'll use another ribbon again they don't make the install easier at all. Theyre a scam IMHO.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think it's the ribbon cable that causes the issue and is why some consoles need 100ohm instead of 47ohm (it's caused by the ribbon cable)

I've ordered some 100ohm resistors to test the theory. But I removed the A, D, 3.3v, Gnd ribbon cable (left the cpu ribbon on) and wired all the other points direct and it fixed the issue no resistor swap necessary. I think it was mention in a sthethix video about the ribbon cables cause issues with OFW.

I don't think I'll use another ribbon again they don't make the install easier at all. Theyre a scam IMHO.
Remove the flex cable and solder wires. It is known that the flex cable causes the issue you are having.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

How do u have the idea that the ribbon cable is the fault that some consoles need a 100ohm resistor?

I can tell u that is bullshit cause I never use ribbon cables........

If u think ribbon cables are a scam then u should the same about the trash clone rp2040 chips and stick with the boards that where used creating the picofly firmware and those are zeros/tinys.

All hwfly and the clones did where stealing the idea from this forum and creating there own board and stealing the firmware and making a profit off of it.
Before the picofly came out all the modchips where 100-150$.

Suddenly after the unlocked Picofly firmware where released they set the price chips to 50 till the of hwflys where sold out.
After that they created the rp2040 boards and are selling them with the Picofly Firmware from this forum and selling them for a Profit.

So u still support those scammers ;-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol