Hardware Old 3ds Charging problems

Vincent Vicious

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
i bought a used 3ds and after using for for a while i had to charge it so i found a few problems that i hope you guys can help me to fix if possible :
- the first problem is when i plug the 3ds charging cable on the 3ds it doesnt charge so i have to push the charger it to the bottom and keep it pushed so it can charge , im assuming it has something to do with the charging port cause i have 2 chargers and both of them shows the same problem
- second problem is that the light charging indicator blinks and the 3ds doesnt charge until i start filping the console upside down or something like this, tried 2 chargers + the dock too always same thing
thanks alot in advance and i hope u can fix my problems :)

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like you, I also bought a used, well, abUSED o3DS, and it also had charging problems. Upon opening the 3DS I found out the entire charging port was unseated from the motherboard. Yup, that whole charging port + dock connectors are together in one large piece held only by 4 small soldered connectors. In order to fix this problem, that large charging piece will have to be resoldered. I am thinking of just gluing the plastic part of the charging port onto the mother board and just solder the charging contacts, but that's only if I can't take it anymore :P

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking of just gluing the plastic part of the charging port onto the mother board and just solder the charging contacts, but that's only if I can't take it anymore :P

Please don't do this.:sad: I've had to repair units where folks have used superglue to try to repair charge ports or zif connectors. It's a nightmare. It won't work and will only make replacing the charge port in the future much, much more difficult.

Just add a small bit of flux and fresh solder to each point. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, get someone else to do it or just use a charge cradle, but please don't use glue.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't do this.:sad: I've had to repair units where folks have used superglue to try to repair charge ports or zif connectors. It's a nightmare. It won't work and will only make replacing the charge port in the future much, much more difficult.

Just add a small bit of flux and fresh solder to each point. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, get someone else to do it or just use a charge cradle, but please don't use glue.
The thing that bothers me is that the solder itself isn't going to hold it. It's just going to break away again, and the superglue is just to secure the plastic parts to other areas of the device. I myself have done a lot of device repairs, on Nintendo DS units too, and I found the right application of glue can really help in the long run. Brought 2 DS's back to life, and they still live, thanks to that.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see. I stand corrected then. I suppose using glue for the plastic parts would work. From the factory there is, in fact, a weak adhesive strip between the underside of the charge port and the section of the housing on which it sits, so replacing it with glue could be a good upgrade. The thought of the glue flowing onto the board itself is the only part that frightens me.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, I know that horror of the glue overflowing and ruining everything. Several fingers were glued while wiping away the evidence :rofl:

I've got to open my 2DS sometime and see how they did that charging port, it feels way to hard to put my charger plug into it :O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can