Hardware Help! 3DS only works on charge.

Fish-eater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I recently rehoused my New 3DS LL. Somehow, when I was putting it back together, I messed up the power and now it must be plugged in to turn on.

Not a light turns on without the power cord. However, if I connect the cord, the charging light comes on. and it turns on (and everything works) ONLY with the battery inserted. When on, the charging light is off, but if I disconnect the cable the system instantly powers off.

I suspected the battery was bad, but I not only tested it, but I swapped it with a working one with no change.

Upon further examination, I see that there is a very small tear in the bottom of the ribbon cable connecting the Power & ABXY board to the main board. Is the bottom where the power delivery happens? If so, I will just buy a new cable for a couple bucks.

Any help is appreciated!
Post automatically merged:

IMG_4213.png

Here's the cable.
Post automatically merged:

Update: Upon taking it apart and putting it back together, it is no longer turning on.

Last edited by Fish-eater,

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I had the same problem a few years back, bought a new power board and all is fine. In your case the the ribbon cable too, maybe you can start by getting a new one first, but im almost sure the power board is to blame.

Fish-eater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem a few years back, bought a new power board and all is fine. In your case the the ribbon cable too, maybe you can start by getting a new one first, but im almost sure the power board is to blame.
I'll keep this in mind! I bought the power board and ribbon cable. I'll update this once they arrive.

Reactions: anotherthing

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'll keep this in mind! I bought the power board and ribbon cable. I'll update this once they arrive.
Make sure all ribbons( including the top screen ones) are well settled on the boards or else the 3ds with not turn on and might make a pop noise. In my case the power ribbon cable was crooked and that fried my power board. Definitely never use that slightly torn cable you have again.

Fish-eater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure all ribbons( including the top screen ones) are well settled on the boards or else the 3ds with not turn on and might make a pop noise. In my case the power ribbon cable was crooked and that fried my power board. Definitely never use that slightly torn cable you have again.
Bad news. I put in the new board and cable, and it worked with the battery. After a little testing, it all of the sudden turned off, and I thought it may have been because I didn't have the back cover on and the battery might have fallen out. It was still however in there good, and wouldn't turn back on again. (battery still works with my other console) Back to the first stage where it powers with only the charger. Upon swapping this board with the original, I can confirm the original doesn't work at all.
Not sure what to do now, I don't have enough money to buy another board :(

I checked all of the ribbon cables beforehand and they seem OK, maybe one slipped past me though?

• Sad
Reactions: BigOnYa

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bad news. I put in the new board and cable, and it worked with the battery. After a little testing, it all of the sudden turned off, and I thought it may have been because I didn't have the back cover on and the battery might have fallen out. It was still however in there good, and wouldn't turn back on again. (battery still works with my other console) Back to the first stage where it powers with only the charger. Upon swapping this board with the original, I can confirm the original doesn't work at all.
Not sure what to do now, I don't have enough money to buy another board :(

I checked all of the ribbon cables beforehand and they seem OK, maybe one slipped past me though?
Oh man I’m sorry to hear that.
In my case, my board fried when I forgot to lock one of the ribbons or had it crooked. I also had trouble with one of the top screen ribbons that would make the console do a pop sound when turned on and crash. It’s a little delicate. Maybe another temper with way more knowledgable and experience will be able to help. But sometimes I got sold broken or defective parts, that happened to me on a joy con board, n3ds xl ips bottom screen among other things, but I got my money back. All I know is the power board and main board ribbon must be really well aligned and locked tight or else it fries. Well hope you solve it.

Fish-eater

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man I’m sorry to hear that.
In my case, my board fried when I forgot to lock one of the ribbons or had it crooked. I also had trouble with one of the top screen ribbons that would make the console do a pop sound when turned on and crash. It’s a little delicate. Maybe another temper with way more knowledgable and experience will be able to help. But sometimes I got sold broken or defective parts, that happened to me on a joy con board, n3ds xl ips bottom screen among other things, but I got my money back. All I know is the power board and main board ribbon must be really well aligned and locked tight or else it fries. Well hope you solve it.
It's a little odd though, because the battery worked for a period of time. And no pop when it turned off and stopped working? Before I eventually order another board I'll triple check all my ribbons are in place.

Edit: Good news though! The seller on Ebay was nice enough to send me a new one even though it was likely my fault for it breaking it. How nice of them :)

Reactions: tatumanu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto