Gaming Okami

ChiGGz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hate games that use the wiimote for point and click. I'm having trouble getting past the part war that drunk swords guy tries to slash dummies. I can't seem to get the slash right. Any tips?

Legah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
don't know if it's the same problem I had when I first got the sword, just tried it yesterday and was getting a bit frustrated at it not working, but it had to do with from which side I slashed, when slashing from left to right it didn't work, but after 15 times I did from right to left and then it worked fine
tongue.gif

so in other words, try again and start from a different point

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
This part of the game has been criticised in some reviews, I've just got up to it and yeah it's ridiculously frustrating.. Stupidly poorly implemented controls.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got through it at the second try... I really don`t know, what could be frustrating about it?

I think if you paint a line really fast amaterasu does this slash-attack

works fine for me

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
You're playing it wrong then. The painting is unbelievably intuitive for me. I get it right 99% of the time. I don't know what your problems are, but this game was meant for the Wii. Slowly and badly painting things with an PS2 analog stick is a bastardization of this game's potential.

GbaDoctor

GbaTemp MaD fOrGeD DoCtOr
Trophies
Website
gbadoctor.spaces.live.com
XP
Country
Italy
Mhm, i didnt had any problem. Im alot far in the game, but nothing that stopped me. I must agree anyway that ps2 version was a piece of cake in this field, while the Wii version needs some proper training.
BTW, you will be requested to do the dummy slashing again and again in the game, so if you feel frustrated by the wii mote dont keep on playing...eh.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
lyoozero said:
Hold Z.
Nuff' said.

That helped, cheers.

Making solid progress now, and yeah the controls are great at times.. just not always. And that first bit is an off putter if you don't get it tight first few goes..

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
ChiGGz said:
I hate games that use the wiimote for point and click. I'm having trouble getting past the part war that drunk swords guy tries to slash dummies. I can't seem to get the slash right. Any tips?

You're going to love it a few hours after this, there's a section that you have to do 8 slashes in a row. I nearly frisbee'ed the disc across the room. Great game but the controls are rubbish.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Hardcore Gamer said:
ChiGGz said:

You're going to love it a few hours after this, there's a section that you have to do 8 slashes in a row.

Uh oh... that news has dampened my spirits somewhat...

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bs being talked in here right now about the control in that one respect, also I did hear something about dodges being done when you don't want too...those still have me waiting to buy this if I ever do.

Also I really don't want to nor have the time to invest like 30-40hours into a game which is why Zelda TP on the Cube rots so that would be a stopper as well likely.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
Also I really don't want to nor have the time to invest like 30-40hours into a game which is why Zelda TP on the Cube rots so that would be a stopper as well likely.

Yup, if you couldn't be bothered with Zelda, don't even bother...

To me, Zelda TP is the best game ever on both the Gamecube and Wii combined.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not so much I couldn't be bothered it's just finding the time, and also Twilight Princess is very average among Zelda games anyways. Top that off with the fact I had it on Wii back at launch and the control just made it not fun due to waggle sword and very dodgy/clunky wolf control overall it drove me nuts. Combine that with the fact the save is the same tired one from 1986 zelda pretty much hurt as I could play an hour, save, but then lose some of my stuff and re-pop back up at the last dungeon/town really pissed me off having to backtrack good ground to re-gain losses before progressing. I got hte GC one this year as a gift in March and it while having the save problem is much more fun and controls a hell of a lot better, it's just a time problem as to why I haven't finished it.

TP maybe your favorite, but I'd put it as a middle area one for me as Wind Waker, Ocarina, and SNES/GBA Link to the Past I find more interesting. I'd put it just under there right with the NES original and GB/GBC game, and below that the other NES game, Minish Cap, that horribly bad Majora, and then the 3rdparty capcom trash under it on GBC.

Okami I heard was long too, but I think if it saved and didn't lose my place or some of my crap leading up to that place so I'd have to re-do it again I'd be ok by it, but the control complaints I keep reading have me turned off/nervous about it for now.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
TP maybe your favorite, but I'd put it as a middle area one for me as Wind Waker, Ocarina, and SNES/GBA Link to the Past I find more interesting. I'd put it just under there right with the NES original and GB/GBC game, and below that the other NES game, Minish Cap, that horribly bad Majora, and then the 3rdparty capcom trash under it on GBC.

Whoa no, you got me wrong - TP is not anywhere near my favourite Zelda game, just the best on GC/Wii - I thought it was a lot better than Wind Waker.. (which I incidentally thought was pretty weak, surprised it has so many fans?.. still enjoyed it though..)

SNES Link to the past is the only one I've loved enough to have 100%ed, although the batteries well dead in my cart now.. and obviously you can't fuck with Ocarina. Minish cap I enjoyed but was pretty clearly 3rd party. How do you rate Phantom Hourglass? I thought that was superb, to me better than Wind waker, about even with TP..

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
mr deez said:
This part of the game has been criticised in some reviews, I've just got up to it and yeah it's ridiculously frustrating.. Stupidly poorly implemented controls.
That's only partially correct. What has generally be criticized is the nunchuk-using moves, which aren't mandatory (you buy them) and only preform a dodge, which is almost always unnecessary. This is not a problem with Okami, but rather a problem with the nunchuk attachment; it has a difficult time reading your range of motion compared to the Wiimote itself.

jhoff80 said:
You don't have to buy the dodge move. Its called fleetfoot. It does suck, but just don't get it then.
Basically just avoid this move. The problem lies with the nunchuk attachment itself. It's a peripheral with many issues; namely:

1) It's too light (needs a bit more heft to be comfortable).

2) It doesn't read motion properly the majority of the time.

3) Finally, it's a definite hair-trigger. It goes off at the drop of a pin. Often times when you're merely moving your other wiimote-holding hand.

These are only a problem in the game by extension, the actual fault lies with the peripheral. Luckily the only move assigned to the nunchuk's motion controls is dodge, the least important and least useful move in the game.

mr deez said:
Hardcore Gamer said:
You're going to love it a few hours after this, there's a section that you have to do 8 slashes in a row.

Uh oh... that news has dampened my spirits somewhat...
If you like Action/Adventure-RPGs, specifically Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, there's a strong chance you'll enjoy this game. I'm nearly 50 hours in and it's one of the best purchases I've made in ages; I'm completely satisfied. Then again, action/adventure-RPGs are my favorite genre.

QUOTE(Vampire Hunter D @ Apr 26 2008, 05:34 PM)
The bs being talked in here right now about the control in that one respect, also I did hear something about dodges being done when you don't want too...those still have me waiting to buy this if I ever do.

The majority complaint is a complaint that lies with all versions of this game. The paint brush movements are often too specific. However, this is really only true for a handful of them. Most of the controls are quite lenient and diverse. One move comes to mind that's often-times problematic for me (minor spoilers ahead): Basically to teleport to a different area you can write an X on the mirror part of the save dealy. For some reason this x is extremely specific and it often times takes multiple attempts.

That's the downside. The upside is that most work fantastically, especially the important ones (IE the ones used for battle, and the core paint abilities). The one I mentioned above is an optional and completely unnecessary, and even with the frustration of sometimes needing to paint that X 2 or 3 times, it's still infinitely faster than trekking across the land on foot. Again though, any problems with the game recognizing movements (which are few and far between) are problems on all versions. The developers were just a bit strict with certain brush strokes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps