Hacking Ok, I backed up all my GBA and DS games.... now what?

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed up all my GBA and NDS games, but I have questions about what to do next for each.

I have an original NintendoDS, a CycloDS Evolution (Firmware 1.54) and an EZ 3in1.

I used Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool v0.21 to backup my GBA games and saves and Rudolph's Backup Tool 3in1 v0.31 to backup my NDS games and saves.

Here are my questions:

GBA:

1. Is there any tool out there that can rename these games (and preferably their saves) for me?

2. I remember hearing that some GBA games need to be patched or something for using EEPROM saves, how do I find out which games need this?

3. Do I need to patch the rom or the save?

4. After a game and/or has been patched, will I still be able to copy the save back to my original GBA cart if I want to at a later date?

5. Is there any way I can check that I dumped all of my games correctly without just playing each one, since I have a lot?

---------------------

NDS:

1. Is there any tool out there that can rename these games (and preferably their saves) for me?

2. I noticed that the game roms and saves are named differently. E.G. a game would be named something like "BANGAI_O_AY6E00.nds" while the save would be called "BANGAI_O_AY6E_00.sav" All the saves seem to end in "_00" while the roms do not have this underscore before the "00". Do I need to rename all my saves in order to get them to work with my roms? Why did the backup tool name them differently like this? It didn't for my GBA sabes.

3. Do I need to patch or edit any of my NDS roms for any reason to get them to work?

4. Will I still be able to copy the save back to my original NDS cart if I want to at a later date?

5. Is there any way I can check that I dumped all of my games correctly without just playing each one, since I have a lot?

---------------------

Those are all the questions I have for now

Thanks

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cyber Akuma said:
I backed up all my GBA and NDS games, but I have questions about what to do next for each.

I have an original NintendoDS, a CycloDS Evolution (Firmware 1.54) and an EZ 3in1.

I used Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool v0.21 to backup my GBA games and saves and Rudolph's Backup Tool 3in1 v0.31 to backup my NDS games and saves.

Here are my questions:

GBA:

2. I remember hearing that some GBA games need to be patched or something for using EEPROM saves, how do I find out which games need this?

3. Do I need to patch the rom or the save?

4. After a game and/or has been patched, will I still be able to copy the save back to my original GBA cart if I want to at a later date?

---------------------

NDS:

2. I noticed that the game roms and saves are named differently. E.G. a game would be named something like "BANGAI_O_AY6E00.nds" while the save would be called "BANGAI_O_AY6E_00.sav" All the saves seem to end in "_00" while the roms do not have this underscore before the "00". Do I need to rename all my saves in order to get them to work with my roms? Why did the backup tool name them differently like this? It didn't for my GBA sabes.

3. Do I need to patch or edit any of my NDS roms for any reason to get them to work?

4. Will I still be able to copy the save back to my original NDS cart if I want to at a later date?

---------------------

Those are all the questions I have for now

Thanks
-GBA-
1. DSOrganize, or just use plain old Windows Explorer.
2. You mean SRAM save patching. Download GBATA from the download section, drag/drop your GBA ROMS onto it, and patch the save type. If the option is grayed out, the ROM in question is already using SRAM.
3. The ROM. I don't know if you can convert your old saves to SRAM-compatible ones.
4. If it's SRAM, yes. If not, I'm not too sure.
5. Sorry, no. They should be fine though.

-NDS-
1. Do it by hand.
2. The _00 means it's an original copy. If you make a new save of the same game and don't overwrite, it'll become _01, etc.
3. Games with anti-piracy measures may require it.
4. Yes, though I'm having trouble dumping my Platinum save in the first place (which is 1MB). 1MB save games I have no idea. Don't know of a method for them.
5. Same as GBA

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wchill said:
2. You mean SRAM save patching. Download GBATA from the download section, drag/drop your GBA ROMS onto it, and patch the save type. If the option is grayed out, the ROM in question is already using SRAM.

How will I know which ones to patch?
wchill said:
4. If it's SRAM, yes. If not, I'm not too sure.

Does anyone know?

wchill said:
1. Do it by hand.

... did you see how many DS games I have?

QUOTE(wchill @ Mar 24 2009, 01:03 AM) 2. The _00 means it's an original copy. If you make a new save of the same game and don't overwrite, it'll become _01, etc.

So then do I have to rename it to the same filename as the rom name in order for my CycloDS to load the sav for that rom?

QUOTE(wchill @ Mar 24 2009, 01:03 AM)
Games with anti-piracy measures may require it.

Is there a list anywhere of which roms I need to patch?

auREAX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyber Akuma said:
wchill said:

How will I know which ones to patch? If the option is grayed out, the ROM in question is already using SRAM.

wchill said:
1. Do it by hand.

... did you see how many DS games I have? There is no other option.

wchill said:
2. The _00 means it's an original copy. If you make a new save of the same game and don't overwrite, it'll become _01, etc.

So then do I have to rename it to the same filename as the rom name in order for my CycloDS to load the sav for that rom? Yep.

QUOTE(wchill @ Mar 24 2009, 01:03 AM)
Games with anti-piracy measures may require it.

Is there a list anywhere of which roms I need to patch? Your CycloDS patches games with anti-piracy measures automatically, if you have firmware 1.54.
wink2.gif

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
You shouldn't need to patch any GBA ROMs for the Cyclo, it patches them automatically when you write them to the 3-in-1. As for verifying your dumps, get something like OfflineList, which checks the CRCs of your files against a list (usually Advanscene's) to make sure that they're the same file. If they are, you know your dump is good.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vague Rant said:
As for verifying your dumps, get something like OfflineList, which checks the CRCs of your files against a list (usually Advanscene's) to make sure that they're the same file. If they are, you know your dump is good.

I got OfflineList, but how do I use it to check my files? I don't see an option to make the list run a check against my GBA or DS roms.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vague Rant said:
Go to Options > Renamer and enter the directory where your ROMs are.

.... all it did was place my roms into zip files, but it didn't actually rename the roms themselves!

On top of that it didn't rename the .sav files either!

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never actually used it, so I don't really know, but that looks like a really weird error unrelated to the actual rom renamer program. Sorry I can't troubleshoot it better.

Raffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just noticed this. That isn't asking for your admin password - it's trying to find the database that holds your settings. Seems you just downloaded the .exe and not the full installer.

Oh well...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU