Odd bug/exploit found during OTP retrieving?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SirBeethoven, Mar 6, 2016.

1. SirBeethoven
    OP

SirBeethoven 3.145.... something. E=mc2

Nov 26, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in the steps in order to get OTP for my old 3DS, I must've done something that could lead to exploits- or it could be just the exploit doing its work. Yesterday, After retrieving it, I restored emuNAND and sysNAND. After that, I tried to delete all of the files on the SD card (to restore from the backup). For some reason, the Nintendo 3DS folder wouldn't delete. I went to go check it out. I found a file next to one of the random numbered folders that just said (and I can't recall EXACTLY what it said): "sdmc://bo.ot". I couldn't delete it. I kept getting errors and I couldn't open it without errors. I could MOVE the Nintendo 3DS folder but I couldn't delete it or the sdmc://bo.ot. I got rid of it by formatting. Everything's back to normal and I have A9LH installed but I keep thinking that I somehow found a bug in 2.1 that could lead to something

Last edited by SirBeethoven, Mar 6, 2016
  2. metaljay

metaljay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    yep, you won the internet

3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    [​IMG]

SirBeethoven and Voxel like this.
  4. parasyte

parasyte Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2005
    United States
    Sounds like one of the tools got confused about how to make a filename and created one that has reserved characters in it; the homebrew fs drivers don't have a ton of validation.

Sometimes you can get rid of those using the native api name at the command line, like del "\\?\S:\Nintendo 3DS\path\to\sdmc://bo.ot"

SirBeethoven and Mrrraou like this.
  5. Mrrraou

Mrrraou GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 17, 2015
    France
    Yeah, but afaik, OTPHelper or the OTP dumper that bilis did for 2xrsa doesn't create any files.

6. Suiginou

Suiginou (null)

Jun 26, 2012
    Gambia, The
    pc + 8
    /r/ThatHappened

Mrrraou likes this.
  7. SirBeethoven
    OP

SirBeethoven 3.145.... something. E=mc2

Nov 26, 2015
    United States