Ocarina of Time fan PC port to release April 1

HARKSHIPBIGRENDER1.jpg

After being announced last February, a new fan PC port of The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is expected to release April 1, 2022. Codenamed "Ship of Harkinian," named after a line of dialogue in the CD-i Zelda games, the port will use the reverse-engineered source code released by the Zelda Reverse Engineering Team last November. Yesterday, the group working on the port, Harbour Masters, announced a "Ship of Harkinian Direct" to premiere on March 22, which will feature "roughly 5 minutes of information focused on features available in the next 10 days for the Ship of Harkinian, and a sneak peak at features that will be available in the coming months after launch." While this announcement doesn't specifically say it will release on April 1, ten days after March 22 is, of course, April 1, and the FAQ on the Ship of Harkinian Discord server lists the release date as March 32.

For some idea on where progress is on the port, the Discord server has plenty of small development updates. Developer Lywx has mentioned that while the initial release will not support 60fps gameplay, it is being worked on and should come at a later date. When asked about custom textures, Lywx responded "If i manage to make it fully working, yes. Its not that hard, but its missing some things." It is also worth pointing out that, according to developer MelonSpeedruns, this project will not be compatible with previously-released texture packs, and that they will need to be ported to this system. However, Lywx has posted pictures showing working custom textures, including 4K textures, but it's unclear if they will be fully supported in the initial release.

If you'd like to dig deeper into the project, you can join the Ship of Harkinian Discord server. Or, you can wait until March 22 to see all the news in their Direct.

:arrow: Ship of Harkinian Direct on YouTube

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
In the disc, they're talking about a debug rom. Not the master quest variant, either. With the hopes of supporting other versions sooner rather than later.

I'm curious to see how this all plays out. If it's real, I'd love to run through OoT at 60fps in ultrawide. :o
I'm assuming it's still Master Quest, but really, it's not hard to port over the changes from a v1.0 ROM into Master Quest (meaning the visual changes and some other censored stuff).
I mean, I did the opposite (port over Master Quest changes to v1.0 for Ocarina of Time Redux, including the dungeons to v1.0) within like a month or so of work manually on ROM, so it's not outside the thought of reason to do this at a quick pace with the PC port. Simply porting the slight changes already documented in my Zelda64-Documentation repository, and disabling the Debug menu would make it a proper release based on v1.0.
If it's v1.0, let the controversy begin.
Fire Temple music chanting.
I would love to play the ver.1.0 rom with original fire temple music and blood.

The PC port would be my preferred way of playing going forward since I don't like the graphical changes they made on the 3DS versions.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I would love to play the ver.1.0 rom with original fire temple music and blood.

The PC port would be my preferred way of playing going forward since I don't like the graphical changes they made on the 3DS versions.
That's very much possible.
I did the same, I ported the Master Quest's green blood and censored Fire Temple music into a v1.0 ROM of OoT for Redux, so doing it the other way around can be easily done, more so with the proper coding in place, it's just a matter of grabbing the proper zseq file for the uncensored Fire Temple song, and changing the proper palette config for Ganon/Ganondorf's zactor.

DarthMotzkus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I hope we get an automatic tool which load the rom that we provide and turn it into the PC port .exe. Because i saw the process and is huge, tiresome and not worth my time.
But i'm very excited too. Wanna see what people will can do, with hi-res textures, better HUDs, inventory menu, improvements in-game etc.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess some people just never learn... Just seems like they are a bunch of clout chasers. Just upload it to anonfiles and leave it to the rest of the internet to spread it out like wild fire. These guys are gonna feel like absolute morons once they get a knock on the door from one of the Nintendo Ninjas

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: relauby

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
dmca's aren't about them being legitimate, they're about just trying and hoping you have no ressources to challenge it
Well Nintendo usually DMCA stuff in the grey area or in the emulation area that might be suable, but this is 100% legal and not a single bit of code can be DMCAd by Nintendo, and they know it, just like the one for Mario64 Open Source ports, they DMCAd the web browser port (the froggies Mario64 website one) because it was using assets from the original ROM (textures etc) to be used on iPhones, Androids without needing the ROM but they never DMCAd the Mario64js because it doesnt host ANYTHING from Nintendo, you provide the ROM.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same. Has there been any discussion about it? I was hoping it would be something akin to that Super Mario 64 switch port.
No specific discussion I've seen around here, maybe on discord, but I guarantee that there's people planning to get going with it as soon as this PC port is ready to work from.

Reactions: relauby

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte