Hacking O3DS drowned, got a new one. What can I do to restore my emunand/sysnand backup?

MissingNO123

Jigglypuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like unless you either get the thing to turn on, or de-solder the NAND and CPU and re-solder it on to another system, you're pretty screwed.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems like unless you either get the thing to turn on, or de-solder the NAND and CPU and re-solder it on to another system, you're pretty screwed.

I'm not trying to sound offensive or anything but...
You haven't seen the nand chip irl, do you?

I don't think it's actually posible for a human without out-of-natural solding skills and master-tier gear to do that.

He can, perhaps, try to get a hard mod. The nand chip is powered by the SD clk, isn't it?

MissingNO123

Jigglypuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not trying to sound offensive or anything but...
You haven't seen the nand chip irl, do you?

I don't think it's actually posible for a human without out-of-natural solding skills and master-tier gear to do that.

He can, perhaps, try to get a hard mod. The nand chip is powered by the SD clk, isn't it?
I was joking. There's absolutely no way to do it. (unless you're this guy)
Also, even with a hardmod you'd still need to use the CPU to do anything with it as OP has no xorpads.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you need xorpads if you ever want to retrieve the movable.sed seed. Had you had that you could manually transfer over the movable.sed and system save data so you can get your save games and installed games to transfer over (after you had called Nintendo to unlink the NNID and relink it to your new console first, then NNID transfer too!). But even if you could get past the encryption, you can't get another emunand/sysnand dump from a different console to work on another. The encryption is console unique and there are files on CTR NAND that are console unique too, so even if you could get past encryption it still won't boot it anyways.

Reactions: daxtsu

Selver

Trophies
XP
Country
...After a week in a rice jar... I have a nand backup ... still water behind the screen.

Two ideas. Neither one is optimal, and each has its own risks.

You could try to remove the last bits of water. Risk here includes possibility that the alcohol could damage some things, although you're not going to soak the unit. The goal is to allow the 3ds to boot "enough" to dump the XorPads, which would allow you to decrypt your nand backup.

First (obviously) remove the battery.
Get some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) from the drugstore.
Dip the now electricity-free 3ds in, shake it around in the alcohol for a few seconds.
(The goal is to replace the water with the alcohol, as the alcohol evaporates much more quickly.)
Place 3DS in warm location (preferably ~100F/28C) to evaporate the alcohol.
Next day, visually check for any leftover liquid.
It's possible the mainboard (with the NAND and processor on it) are still OK. The unit might be failing to boot because of a failure in a daughter card, or failure in shoulder buttons, or ... anything, really.
If this is the case, you could try to swap the old mainboard into the new unit.

The difficulty depends heavily on the model you have (O3DS, O3DS XL, N3DS XL, N3DS), but is absolutely possible with only one uncommon tool (JIS Driver set).
Example guides:
PAY ATTENTION -- Most flat cables are friction-fit, only a few have flaps. Popping the flaps of the friction-fit ones will damage the mainboard.

I also recommend using a silver Sharpie marker to mark the cables, to help ensure you replace them right-side-up. This is especially true for the two cables under the mainboard's top right corner on the N3DSXL.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of being careful and being able to contort your fingers into tiny places.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yeah you need xorpads if you ever want to retrieve the movable.sed seed. Had you had that you could manually transfer over the movable.sed and system save data so you can get your save games and installed games to transfer over (after you had called Nintendo to unlink the NNID and relink it to your new console first, then NNID transfer too!). But even if you could get past the encryption, you can't get another emunand/sysnand dump from a different console to work on another. The encryption is console unique and there are files on CTR NAND that are console unique too, so even if you could get past encryption it still won't boot it anyways.
I believe the SD data normal key is generated from KeyY stored in movable.sed and KeyX initialised by the bootrom using the OTP, so he's screwed unless his 3DS was still working somehow (even with NAND xorpads, we can retrieve KeyY from the NAND but not KeyX).

Last edited by lefthandsword,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I've moved a movable.sed from one console to another before. (I did this to manually transfer my games/saves/friend code from a 3DS that was bricked) After moving the movable.sed and the system save data tied to it, my games/saves worked on my new console without any modification.

So, you don't need to worry about bootrom stuff. It is confirmed possible to move a movable.sed from one console to another. This has been know for awhile now. :P

lostreverie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. It does seem pretty dire, but who knows, maybe it will boot?

I'm still leaving it for now. It has the battery out, of course, I won't even consider trying to boot it with that thing in. But as many of you brought up, it's still doing a lot of things even when it is "off." The water has dried out under the screen, though, so I'm planning on test-driving it soon...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare