nVidia shield announce two new products

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "close to stock android" isn't worth much when compared to a nexus device, but on the other hand I have to add that this shield also has microSD and HDMI connectivity, which the nexus 7 lacks (source). The pen is something I initially dissed but actually does add a value (though probably just within the software that uses it).

I can think of some, but right now, I'm more interested in the tablet almost despite the shield name. And the main question is still the one I noted in my previous post: why a completely separate controller that is just an impossible sell at that price point? The audience for this (gamers) are probably already buried underneath all sorts of bluetooth controllers. Half the latency would be impressive, but I haven't heard much complaints about it to begin with. Then again, that may change once tests are performed (this sort of thing is usually nice until something better comes along that proves how flawed the original actually was).
And a more rhetorical question: any chance for an accessory that would connect that controller and the shield tablet? (that would seem to me the only saving grace for the controller, but I'm in no means any expert whatsoever :) ).

They don't prevent you from connecting a Bluetooth controller to it. It will still accept the Bluetooth offerings, just like any other android product.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Shield tab has me all sorts of annoyed only because I bought a Tegra Note a few months ago. Around a week after I get my Note, the K1 was announced (or at least I first heard of it), then the Xiaomi MiPad and then the Shield Tablet. Fuck you, technology for ever marching forward! :-p

Embittered disappointment aside, both K1 tabs look to be amazing devices. Despite the Note "only" having a 1GB of RAM this thing has proven to be quite the powerhouse. It can run the likes of Shadow Gun and Dark Meadow at silky smooth frame rates w/o even leaving battery saving mode. Most the emulation I've done thus far has been via Retro Arch and UAE4All2 and I've been nothing short of amazed at how well this tablet can handle it. The benchmarks for the K1 vs the Tegra 4 are making it really difficult for me to not sell my Note and grab a K1 powered device.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The Shield tab has me all sorts of annoyed only because I bought a Tegra Note a few months ago. Around a week after I get my Note, the K1 was announced (or at least I first heard of it), then the Xiaomi MiPad and then the Shield Tablet. Fuck you, technology for ever marching forward! :-p

While the K1 was only "officially" announced some time in January, we've known they were making it for about a year now as "Project Logan". IIRC, they showed a sneakpeak in like...June of last year for it.

Honestly, there's no reason to go for a K1 device from a Tegra 4 just yet. Nothing on Android will ever need that much power, besides maybe the Dolphin emu, but I think the devs will need to do some tweaking to get the full effect from the SoC. Hell, we've yet to get much of anything that makes the Tegra 4 seem outdated really. I guess if you want to super duper future proof your device...Otherwise, you might as well stick with your Note for now.

Though personally, I've been thinking about getting rid of my Shield Portable for this...Would definitely be an amazeballs tablet >.>

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the K1 was only "officially" announced some time in January, we've known they were making it for about a year now as "Project Logan". IIRC, they showed a sneakpeak in like...June of last year for it.

Honestly, there's no reason to go for a K1 device from a Tegra 4 just yet. Nothing on Android will ever need that much power, besides maybe the Dolphin emu, but I think the devs will need to do some tweaking to get the full effect from the SoC. Hell, we've yet to get much of anything that makes the Tegra 4 seem outdated really. I guess if you want to super duper future proof your device...Otherwise, you might as well stick with your Note for now.

Though personally, I've been thinking about getting rid of my Shield Portable for this...Would definitely be an amazeballs tablet >.>

I hadn't really been following Android scene in general for quite sometime, so I'm not at all surprised I was late to the party as far as the K1 was a concern.

In all seriousness I will probably stick w/ my Note for quite some time, as we both know the Tegra 4 is well beyond anything required by almost any Android app right now and it was a mind blowing upgrade from the JXD S7100. I'm also still going to drool over the K1 devices though and it's not just the horsepower that has me interested in them. The Xiaomi's 2048x1536 pixel screen (not that I am at all unhappy w/ the Note's screen, but god damn!), the Shield's exclusive content (Portal, Half Life 2, etc) and a few other things make some compelling arguments. Really it was just the timing of everything that made me want to complain. :-)

"Nothing on Android will ever need that much power..." sounds a little too much like "No one will need more than 640KB of memory for a personal computer." ;-)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
"Nothing on Android will ever need that much power..." sounds a little too much like "No one will need more than 640KB of memory for a personal computer." ;-)

Well I mean, nothing in the next 5 years will need that much :lol: The K1 is going to be top of the charts for a long time, until their next SoC comes available.

coolbho3000 when you get yours, mind testing Dolphin emu on it? I honestly think it'll run things in a "playable" state on the K1.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I mean, nothing in the next 5 years will need that much :lol: The K1 is going to be top of the charts for a long time, until their next SoC comes available.

coolbho3000 when you get yours, mind testing Dolphin emu on it? I honestly think it'll run things in a "playable" state on the K1.

I can, but we're not allowed to say anything about the performance of anything until the 29th when the review embargo lifts and the device ships. Dolphin has been shown to work well with the Jetson TK1, but that was presumably in desktop Ubuntu 14.04? Also, not sure if Dolphin is fully leveraging desktop OpenGL (not OpenGL ES) on Android yet on SoCs that support it, like the K1.

So far I've tested just PPSSPP.

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
The "close to stock android" isn't worth much when compared to a nexus device, but on the other hand I have to add that this shield also has microSD and HDMI connectivity, which the nexus 7 lacks (source). The pen is something I initially dissed but actually does add a value (though probably just within the software that uses it).

I can think of some, but right now, I'm more interested in the tablet almost despite the shield name. And the main question is still the one I noted in my previous post: why a completely separate controller that is just an impossible sell at that price point? The audience for this (gamers) are probably already buried underneath all sorts of bluetooth controllers. Half the latency would be impressive, but I haven't heard much complaints about it to begin with. Then again, that may change once tests are performed (this sort of thing is usually nice until something better comes along that proves how flawed the original actually was).
And a more rhetorical question: any chance for an accessory that would connect that controller and the shield tablet? (that would seem to me the only saving grace for the controller, but I'm in no means any expert whatsoever :) ).

1. Like the PS4 controller, there's the headphone jack. Also it has a built-in touchpad (I think, based on some YouTube videos I've watched… I've actually not handled one of the controllers yet though I did order one). Also, just speculating here. For Bluetooth controllers, you're mainly going to be playing Android games. But since game streaming/GRID already introduces a little bit of latency that's not otherwise present, any reduction of latency anywhere else in the pipeline is useful to help mitigate that.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I can, but we're not allowed to say anything about the performance of anything until the 29th when the review embargo lifts and the device ships. Dolphin has been shown to work well with the Jetson TK1, but that was presumably in desktop Ubuntu 14.04? Also, not sure if Dolphin is fully leveraging desktop OpenGL (not OpenGL ES) on Android yet on SoCs that support it, like the K1.

So far I've tested just PPSSPP.

Right now, Dolphin on Android only runs off of OpenGL ES 3.1, but higher-spec'd phones have shown to run it fairly ok (the Galaxy Note 3, for instance, can run Smash Bros to a...not playable level, but close to), so I'm curious to see how it runs before (if) they start using desktop OpenGL.

Eh, just wait a couple of days or weeks and some people will make it compatible to other devices.

The controller uses a custom Wifi direct signal to communicate with the Shield Tablet, it'll take a long time before it can be used with any other device. For reference the Wii U gamepad took over a year to get any kind of direct-to-PC connection, and as far as I know it still hasn't reached a user-ready state and still needs to use the console to work.

coolbho3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, just wait a couple of days or weeks and some people will make it compatible to other devices.
It has a MicroUSB port for charging, but I actually have no idea if that could be used for data
Right now, Dolphin on Android only runs off of OpenGL ES 3.1, but higher-spec'd phones have shown to run it fairly ok (the Galaxy Note 3, for instance, can run Smash Bros to a...not playable level, but close to), so I'm curious to see how it runs before (if) they start using desktop OpenGL.

The controller uses a custom Wifi direct signal to communicate with the Shield Tablet, it'll take a long time before it can be used with any other device. For reference the Wii U gamepad took over a year to get any kind of direct-to-PC connection, and as far as I know it still hasn't reached a user-ready state and still needs to use the console to work.

Remember the Wii U gamepad had some protection on the protocol... This might not be the case with the Shield Controller, which also uses an established standard (Wifi Direct). Also, it's likely we will release source for most of the Android framework for the device, like we did for the original Shield. I don't know if this will include code for interacting with the controller as I'm not involved in the development of the controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...