nVidia announces Shield console available May $199 (Android)

cutterjohn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-unveils-tegra-x1-powered-shield-console-and-it-can-run-crysis

3GB "powered" by nVidia Tegra X1
octa-core BIG-little design 4x A57 2MB L2; 4x A53 512KB L2
256 "core" Maxwell "based" GPU
claims support of "Ultra 4k"

From the article:
claim 50 games at launch, unclear as to how many have been targetted specifically at this console

In the brief time that I've taken to persuse this one article I could not find reference to which android version is being used, only "Android TV" "streamer". Presumably it will be based at least on 4.4.x(KITKAT) but more likely 5.0.x(lollipop).

Here's a link:
http://hothardware.com/news/hands-on-with-nvidia-tegra-x1-with-benchmarks-and-video
to more information about the Tegra X1.

From a performance perspective I would think that this shield console would land somewhere between the Wii U and the PS4/xbone hegemony, however this is purely based on typical x86(yes even AMD's) v. ARM and a wild --- guess of powerpc v. ARM based upon the age(and prior experience albeit lower clocked and with fewer features I'm sure but I cannot be arsed to look it up) of the powerpc SoC used in the Wii U

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's almost like nvidia goes back in time.

First shield was a handheld, meaning it had both a screen and buttons.
Then they got rid of the buttons, leaving just a tablet.
Now they also get rid of the screen, so it's just a console.

And can they please start picking another name than 'shield'? At this rate, you can bet they'll name their next graphics card 'shield' as well. In fact, it would even be the logical next step. :P

So, erm...I guess this thing won't run steamOS, then? :unsure:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

And can they please start picking another name than 'shield'? At this rate, you can bet they'll name their next graphics card 'shield' as well. In fact, it would even be the logical next step. :P

Actually, their next move, they just get rid of the GPU and CPU altogether.
Let's just put a video encoder/decoder and high speed streamer in there and some kind of gamepad thingy, viva la cloud gaming.
MEH.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually this is something very interesting. I've got a PC rig compatible with 4k output, but little time/interest to play certain games solo on my desktop. If it was possible to output 1080p/60fps to my TV without loosing texture/lighting/etc quality, I'd be very tempted. But alas, technology goes forward in such a fast speed that the future is hard to predict..

ps. For streaming, the Steam Link is a clear competitor..

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Y'know... Someone mentioned that it should run on Windows or even SteamOS. At first I thought "no".. Then I thought more and it makes sense. Dammit Nvidia what are you doing?!

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
>Runs on Android

No thanks, I already have a device for Android content, it's called my phone.
I bet your phone isnt even the half of Powerful as this plus you cant Stream PC or have Grid Service.
This is great and only for $200! Plus can play everything on the PlayStore. Its just $100 more than a OUYA for having something x100 better. Feel like OUYA should be like $20 now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I bet your phone isnt even the half of Powerful as this plus you cant Stream PC or have Grid Service.
This is great and only for $200! Plus can play everything on the PlayStore. Its just $100 more than a OUYA for having something x100 better. Feel like OUYA should be like $20 now.
It doesn't matter how powerful it is, it runs games that are meant for Android and by extension are made for a variety of devices, not specifically the console. It's exactly the same dealio as the OUYA - who cares if it's more or less powerful than a phone if it runs games that are designed for phones? Sure, it'll take advantage of all of the Tegra-specific special effects and that's all good and dandy, but that's about the extent of exclusive "content" it will get because, newsflash, it's more profitable to code games for millions upon millions of smartphones than for one niche microconsole a handful of people are going to buy. As for PC streaming, it's really not a big deal either way - I have a $1 solution that lets me play PC games on my TV, it's called an HDMI cable. If I want to spend a little more than that, I can grab a Chromecast or something, I don't need an ultra-powered Android device to do something a low-end device can do with relative ease.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't matter how powerful it is, it runs games that are meant for Android and by extension are made for a variety of devices, not specifically the console. It's exactly the same dealio as the OUYA - who cares if it's more or less powerful than a phone if it runs games that are designed for phones? Sure, it'll take advantage of all of the Tegra-specific special effects and that's all good and dandy, but that's about the extent of exclusive "content" it will get because, newsflash, it's more profitable to code games for millions upon millions of smartphones than for one niche microconsole a handful of people are going to buy. As for PC streaming, it's really not a big deal either way - I have a $1 solution that lets me play PC games on my TV, it's called an HDMI cable. If I want to spend a little more than that, I can grab a Chromecast or something, I don't need an ultra-powered Android device to do something a low-end device can do with relative ease.

The thing is, though, this won't be running just Android games. Nvidia is porting over various PC games a-la Half Life style and shit.

Granted, it's still entirely useless if you haven't been living under a rock for 10 years with a modern console or PC.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well part of the issue is the are releasing mobile chips to fast. Think about it there are few apps that truly make the tegra 4 stutter even though it is getting older and very few devices even have k1

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well part of the issue is the are releasing mobile chips to fast. Think about it there are few apps that truly make the tegra 4 stutter even though it is getting older and very few devices even have k1
Pretty much. By the time this microconsole is adapted by users, it'll be already outdated.

cutterjohn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually this is something very interesting. I've got a PC rig compatible with 4k output, but little time/interest to play certain games solo on my desktop. If it was possible to output 1080p/60fps to my TV without loosing texture/lighting/etc quality, I'd be very tempted. But alas, technology goes forward in such a fast speed that the future is hard to predict..

ps. For streaming, the Steam Link is a clear competitor..
Be VERY WARY of nVidia Tegra claims. They claimed 1080p high profile for BOTH Tegra AND Tegra 2 which NEVER materialized in any demonstrable fashion.

perf: I MAY be overly optimistic on it v. the Wii U, HOWEVER the GPU may allow it to appear to have better perf, as ARM remains a pretty pisspoor design and so far there are no 3rd party designed from scratch to be compatible with the newer 64b ARMs since they jerked around their naming schema yet again. Last I heard qualcomm and nVidia were still in that game but were a ways off. Apple is the other one that designs from scratch a compatible ARM, but they haven't for a while. ALL of the other SoC purveyors just use the licensed block asis from ARM as well as the other licensed blocks, i.e. GPU, modems, etc. or rely on external components(usually modems and then usually qualcomm(who own their entire stack, well until they started using the licensed blocks in recent SoCs for the CPU)).

It remains to be seen what will show up on it, however the last I bothered to check their tegrazone on my shield handheld(probably a year or so ago) I wasn't impressed.

ARM licenses in a couple of ways, you just get block XYZ and use it as provided OR you essentially license the command set and implement it from scratch on your own. The from scratch AFAIK has only been applied to the CPU blocks as many of the SoC purveyors either just license mali(and a few powervr seems the supercheapo ones license mali) or have their own GPU tech.

[EDIT]
More reading other replies:
perf: It should easily be faster than any phone given that it will have an essentially endless powersupply AND should EASILY have better thermodynamic performance(no->limited thermal throttling).

SteamOS: No go, as you'd essentially be able to look at it, but have no software. There is NOTHING available on Steam compiled for ARM and very little for java which would theoretically be your only hope. Even then perf would likely be worse than an ultrabook w/HD4400 iGPU.

Windows: Well at least this one you could have some ARM stuff, well you'd be on RT and then you'd be dealing with the game wasteland that POS is.
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
Ouya: Yeah by now Ouya should be down to at least $50, given that internally it should be around the BoM of an rpi2 or odroid-c1 just for the bare board. Add in a few $$$ for case/controller/PSU. The Odroid selling at ~$35 shows that rpi has to be making even more $$$ than one would think, esp. IF you were thinking subsidized by Broadcomm, and while it may be that would just mean that they're making more $$$/unit add to that I'm sure that the rpi is being in MUCH higher volumes than odroid...

Ouya volume: no idea. I've never bothered to look for it in a store, but it "feels" low profile to me. They MIGHT just be selling old stock. I haven't booted mine up in even longer than I have my shield... as a matter of fact it's residing in a drawer with my tablets ATM. (Gave up on tablets as being mostly useless excepting for PDF view as well.)
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
Missed chromecast earlier and re-address software:
Chromecast: Ah! another device residing in that very same drawer with the ouya tablets and some old stick ARM computers. The chromecast since I got an ASUS m004u chromebox for $100, maxed memory(16GB) and swapped the ssd for 128GB -> openelec/kodi instantly WAY WAY WAY more useful for me than chromecast($20).

Games: yeah, as you MAY(or may NOT) have inferred from prior comments I don't really have any high hopes for decent games for this beyond pretty much what is already available for Android. One thing though is that the "Tegra" subsection(or whatever) of the "play" store has higher rest(overall supported res/texture quality/etc.) for at least a little while before it usually eventually moves to the regular play store.

That said, there just aren't many good android games. The VAST majority is just casual shovelware, and given the boxes show apparently for launch I'm NOT impressed at all. Even existing and prior consoles got most of those in some form or other and Windows, MANY aeons ago...

Desktop: I game all of the time on mine. Hell I still play alot of Team Fortress Classic which all of my machines for about the last 14y or so have been WAY overkill for and Fortress Forever(available on the steam store now, it's what Team Fortress 2 SHOULD have been rather than the casual POS that we got -- I still don't know why TF got singled out to be f'ed over while Counterstrike and Day of Defeat got MUCH better upgrades to Source versions...)
[/EDIT3]

cutterjohn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting for a decent gaming tablet pc that won't drain my bank account and isn't the size of the average notebook.. Anyway....
There probably won't be one as any decent discrete GPU will NEED ACTIVE cooling of some type and you'd DEFINITELY want more than an anemic ultrabook class mobile CPU which would also need active cooling -> bulkyish or insanely expensive liquid cooled(HEAVY).

Hell, I just wish that they had DECENT convertible notebooks that didn't cost a fortune. Their new fad seems to be the utterly useless: oh you can kind of fold the screen back but nowhere near 180degrees to lie flat, just enough to prop it up in some f'ed up manner of what utility I cannot find... I missed the twistable screen ones that were the prior version that became FULL tablets OR had a secondary outer screen that activated with the lid closed but the unit on...

Either way, they were WAY too expensive, but then again, so is EVERY ultrabook... kills me when they tack on 3k panels to those... I'm still happy with a Sager NP7330(13.3"/i7-4800mq/765m(2GB)) which costs less than all but the cheapest of ultrabooks... go figure...

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what are the odds of a Portable Two being announced sometime this year? I'm not interested at all in tablets or consoles from Nvidia.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: