nVidia announces Shield console available May $199 (Android)

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why you dismiss the easier option in favor of the more expensive options that do what you desire in a worse fashion. There's stubbornness and preference, and then there's just stupidity. I honestly can't figure out what logic goes into spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on Android based equipment hoping for more than sub par AAA game support just for the maybe that you'll be able to play last gen games, especially when last gen consoles and games have gotten so cheap.
Because he said that it better suites his other needs better then a ps3 or 360.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you! God damned! Microsoft and Sony are not the end all/be all of gaming. The PS360 platforms have NO XBMC and are limited in their apps. I have an extensive collection of premium Android games, a PS360 will not let me play that collection. The AAA games on Shield are a bonus. Additionally, Android consoles allow you to use any controller you want. -cant say that with the PS360.

Reactions: RevPokemon

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I get that, but the problem lies in the fact that we know he already has Android powered devices, and we know his major goal with Android right now which happens to be a focus on AAA gaming specifically in regards to last gen games. As well, it lies in a price to satisfaction ratio. Would you rather spend $200 on something that only does a little more than what you currently own, or spend $200 getting a system a stack of games that are the main thing you were hoping to play with that $200 Android box where hopes may never come to fruition?

This definitely enters the realm of lack of logic where preference overrides common sense and monetary restraint.

Reactions: chartube12

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, AAA games on Shield is a bonus not a focus for me. I still game more on my Wii U these days. Shield, like OUYA is an suppliment to what Nintendo offers me, not a replacement.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think in fairness even though I'm getting one of these, for gaming these devices can and should live side by side with consoles. Whether it be the current systems or indeed the last generation. I think of it the same as a lot of people saw the last gen, which was what console to buy for main gaming alongside buying the Wii. This gen so far console wise it's a choice of two but nothing else to go alongside it to do all the other quirky stuff and media that the latest consoles can't or don't do. For what the device does, it certainly fills the gap. If people on here want to moan and mock that it's wasted money then that's fine, but to some people, it definitely has its place.

It's all a matter of taste isn't it. I mean, I'd imagine some of the people on here who are bemoaning this as a waste of money and that it won't have much decent to play splashed out hundreds on Wii U'S...... Like I said, some things are just about preference at the end of the day.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I said over on another thread this has gone straight to the top of my "wants" list for this year. For me it just solves all the problems of having everything "in one box" and for a pretty decent price as well.

For starters, its a 4K video player, which for now, doesn't really mean an awful lot as the content isn't out their and also, I don't even own a 4K telly. But when I DO own this, this will stream anything I throw at it in 4K resolution. Thats one box ticked.

I have smart TV on my current TV but to be honest, its slow, and its crap. This box, having access to the play store will sort out all my needs for Netflix, Sky Go, Internet Radio, Youtube and all other media apps, in one box and at near enough instant speed.

Next up, emulation. Currently for emulation needs its either hook my laptop up which is just a chore and a ballache because my laptop isn't great for anything above and beyond 16 bit (even though its an i3!), fire up the Wii which annoys me because it look garbage on a HDTV or play on the PSP (no complaints here however apart from the limited power it has). This device will literally play 8 bit and 16 bit to perfection and is powerful enough to run the most sophisticated filters to get the most out of HD TVs. This thing will also fly flawlessly through PSX and should hit full speed with every title with PPSSPP and Dreamcast (when the emulators are completely up to snuff).

If the K1 can "almost" reach decent speeds with Dolphin then the X1 is even better placed to obtain playable framerates as and when the emulator improves for Android.

Then you have all the other things in one place that this will breeze through. Any android title currently and in the future will likely to be maxed out in terms of performance, and most games will be compatible with the controller also.

And lastly, if I see fit, it will also allow me to use this GRID thing for streaming top end PC games if I want to. I don't have an expensive PC and would likely never buy one. But to play top end games on a $200 system? Thats a nice option to have. Granted, you would expect this streaming service to not be great with anything twitched based because of lag, but anything else should be more than serviceable and better than any option out there currently shy of owning an all singing and all dancing PC.

I have a laptop currently which is nice for all things work based and piddling about on the net and downloading whatever I see fit and I have a console (PS4) to see me through this generation of games. But for everything else I want to do, whether it be emulation, media etc, its just a mish mash of different boxes, cables, setups at the moment which is just a ball ache. This is just a console, attached to a USB hard drive....done.

Granted, this won't do the dishes, it won't make me tea, but for $200, it does a hell of a lot of things all under one roof. Its niche granted, but whats not to love for the price you pay?
This, this and THIS
AMEN!
At last someone that gets it.
Not everyone want to built a PC or have the money to spend on it.
And for what I have read on the Internet the GRID Streaming Services works wonders.
This has everything I want and just for $200.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And for what I have read on the Internet the GRID Streaming Services works wonders.

That is assuming you've got a beefy internet connection (the weird thing is that they promote exactly the kind of games where lag gets instantly noticed). And since it makes these games run on their servers, I assume there's a monthly subscription in that as well.

I've got to admit kristianity77 makes some interesting points, but the other options seem more viable than that GRID thing.

It looks like an xbox. That alone makes me run away :)

Erm...perhaps the classic one, but then one that got ran over by a bulldozer. From the way I see it, it's two or three times as flat. :P

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is assuming you've got a beefy internet connection (the weird thing is that they promote exactly the kind of games where lag gets instantly noticed). And since it makes these games run on their servers, I assume there's a monthly subscription in that as well.

I've got to admit kristianity77 makes some interesting points, but the other options seem more viable than that GRID thing.

Erm...perhaps the classic one, but then one that got ran over by a bulldozer. From the way I see it, it's two or three times as flat. :P

Reminds me more of a slimline PS2 with XBox coloring. I really wish this thing was in white. I'm TIRED of black devices. Either way, I wonder if the power LED can be modded, similar to the OUYA's LED.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What a waste of money...

This will flop, hard. Like the rest of NVIDIA's Android efforts.

NVIDIA is a dinosaur. They has profited heavily by abusing their shady marketing tactics to sell better than they should based on their tech. The only thing they are good for is bribing developers to cripple their games on competitors' products.

Their marketing material is never to be trusted. I don't believe this will be that powerful, and i don't think it will get much support.

In the end, it's your money, but don't say you weren't warned...

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What a waste of money...

NVIDIA is a dinosaur. They has profited heavily by abusing their shady marketing tactics to sell better than they should based on their tech. The only thing they are good for is bribing developers to cripple their games on competitors' products.

Their marketing material is never to be trusted. I don't believe this will be that powerful, and i don't think it will get much support.

Dude, do you actually like anything? lol You were on the PSP forum not so long back making out the PSP was the worst thing in the world ever...which is it, the PSP...or this? lol

Reactions: the_randomizer

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, do you actually like anything? lol You were on the PSP forum not so long back making out the PSP was the worst thing in the world ever...which is it, the PSP...or this? lol
Short answer
He is a ranter who complains. Look at that statement he didn't give a single reason to support any of his views

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Much rather Android OS than Apple's iOS, not nearly as restrictive, even without rooting or unlocking the device, you can still helluva lot more. Also, with the tablet, it has Bluetooth support, so I don't see what all the fuss is all about lol.

What a waste of money...

I get the impression that all devices, irrespective of their specification always have and always will be utter shit in your eyes. :rolleyes: Enjoy your shitty Apple devices :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Much rather Android OS than Apple's iOS, not nearly as restrictive, even without rooting or unlocking the device, you can still helluva lot more. Also, with the tablet, it has Bluetooth support, so I don't see what all the fuss is all about lol.

I get the impression that all devices, irrespective of their specification always have and always will be utter shit in your eyes. :rolleyes: Enjoy your shitty Apple devices :P

Ooooohh, is that what we are dealing with lol one of them?

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Only kids and other non-techies like Nvidia. Us developers know well how corrupt and bad Nvidia is. And we know really well that most of the tech press is corrupted and bribed, and always tries to place Nvidia on top. Whenever Nvidia's stuff are better on a single thing, this single thing becomes the focus of everyone. But when the competition overcomes Nvidia on their own game, somehow this single thing is not important anymore, and we go to the next Nvidia gimmick... Aside from being a developer, i am a PC gamer for decades, have used a really big variety of hardware over the years, and i know people with an even bigger variety. Nvidia sucks. Their hardware never performs like their reviews suggest in the real world. I have personaly tested it many times.

Also, remember (or google) the bumpgate scandal, or the Crysis 2 tesselation, or the recent 970 one. Try to understand deeply what happened and this company's actions, and see for yourself if you like this kind of companies around. Hint: They are not pro-consumer in the slightest... They actively hurt consumers...

As for the PSP, i believe the PSP hardware wise was great. Really great. I own one. I never complained about the hardware...

Its game library? LOL. JUST LOL. Hint No2: This thing sold because it was easy to pirate and use mainly for things other than games. Actually, many people used it for movies on the go or music much more frequently than actual games. I am willing to bet this thing has been used much more for emulators than native games. Just go to here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PSP&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

For a console that sold almost 81million + 10million from the Vita, game sales are pretty poor. Aside from a few outliers, sale numbers are abysmall. And no, the reason is not piracy by itself. Piracy was a thing for the DS and the 3DS as well. Actually it was easier to pirate those than the PSP, for a long time.

The reason games weren't sold that much was because they weren't attractive. Now come at me PSP fanatics :lol:

PS: Sorry for the offtopic, but since it was mentioned...

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only kids and other non-techies like Nvidia. Us developers know well how corrupt and bad Nvidia is. And we know really well that most of the tech press is corrupted and bribed, and always tries to place Nvidia on top. Whenever Nvidia's stuff are better on a single thing, this single thing becomes the focus of everyone. But when the competition overcomes Nvidia on their own game, somehow this single thing is not important anymore, and we go to the next Nvidia gimmick... Aside from being a developer, i am a PC gamer for decades, have used a really big variety of hardware over the years, and i know people with an even bigger variety. Nvidia sucks. Their hardware never performs like their reviews suggest in the real world. I have personaly tested it many times.

Also, remember (or google) the bumpgate scandal, or the Crysis 2 tesselation, or the recent 970 one. Try to understand deeply what happened and this company's actions, and see for yourself if you like this kind of companies around. Hint: They are not pro-consumer in the slightest... They actively hurt consumers...

As for the PSP, i believe the PSP hardware wise was great. Really great. I own one. I never complained about the hardware...

Its game library? LOL. JUST LOL. Hint No2: This thing sold because it was easy to pirate and use mainly for things other than games. Actually, many people used it for movies on the go or music much more frequently than actual games. I am willing to bet this thing has been used much more for emulators than native games. Just go to here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PSP&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

For a console that sold almost 81million + 10million from the Vita, game sales are pretty poor. Aside from a few outliers, sale numbers are abysmall. And no, the reason is not piracy by itself. Piracy was a thing for the DS and the 3DS as well. Actually it was easier to pirate those than the PSP, for a long time.

The reason games weren't sold that much was because they weren't attractive. Now come at me PSP fanatics :lol:

PS: Sorry for the offtopic, but since it was mentioned...

I'll bite...again

Just.....no

And the funny part is, there are probably 25 or so more games that could justifiably be added to this list as well.

Reactions: ShonenJump

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.