NTSC Wii: composite & s-video color encoding at 50hz

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Lumstar, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Lumstar
    OP

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    This is a little something I haven't seen explained well. I know NTSC Gamecube outputs 50hz in the wrong colors (due to lack of proper PAL encoding).

What about NTSC Wii? Is 50hz mode the same as Gamecube and simply fixed by using component, default the video automatically to PAL color, or something else like cause games to fail to boot?

Last edited by Lumstar, Aug 2, 2016
  2. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2016
    Bangladesh
    Not here
    From the PAL games I tried normally for most PAL games when you use it in an NTSC Wii it will be displayed in PAL Colors making it Black & White if your TV aren"t set or automatically suppport the PAL colors output when you use composite, I can"t say much about S-Video since I only used Composite and Component cables.

3. Lumstar
    OP

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    As long as it's real PAL, more of us ought to be OK than we think. HDTVs don't always indicate support whatsoever.

4. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2016
    Bangladesh
    Not here
    Well yes, if the TV support PAL it will be okay (if it need to manually changes the signal to PAL like my TV that isn"t HD i supposse it"s needed to manually change it to PAL), if the TV don"t support PAL it"ll be black and white but it will work but I remebered now that it also possible to a video converter to convert the PAL signal to NTSC signal if that"s the TV don"t support it to have colors.

5. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    You could always try a rgb-scart cable instead most if not all rgb-scart compatible sdtv support both ntsc and pal even if composite outputs black and white.
    The Wii2Hdmi 720/1080p also converts all signals to 720p or 1080p 60Hz, I use it to play pal vc and the n64 roms in animal crossing that output in 288p 50Hz since my tv black screens / no signal on 288p.

Last edited by ned, Aug 5, 2016
  6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    side questions cuz i have a gamecube in my wish list...
    for use component on the gamecubde don't you require a super rare and super expensive cable?

7. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    I believe the gamecube rgb-scart and component cables contain a proprietary MX chip that's what makes them so exspensive and why you don't see 3rd party ones.

Last edited by ned, Aug 5, 2016
  8. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Yeah there's a chip in the plug housing of the GC component cables that converts from the raw digital out to the format the cables are designed for. :/