Hacking NTSC Isos on Pal Wii

Freemont

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you load an NTSC game on a Pal wii (i.e. Epic Yarn)? I only have PAL games but this game isn't out til next year in PAL. I have a USB loader enabled wii

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a big difference between loading a japanese game on a north american wii, and loading an american game on a european wii.

This difference is called TV signal. Japan and NA both use the NTSC video standard... meaning that they both put out visual data in the exact same way... Where as Europe uses the PAL standard.

That said, many (but not all) Wii games have both video modes coded into them... so simply changing video mode in your backup loader will work fine. Other games don't have both NTSC and PAL signals programmed into them, thus if you try to play a PAL game on an NTSC TV it will likely black screen.

Many modern TVs (NA and PAL) support both video modes (though sometimes not fully.... my HDTV plays PAL signals but with the button portion of the screen cut off... but at least the colors are right
wink.gif
).

Basically, if you're in luck either your TV supports NTSC and PAL signals which is the best option because then the game doesn't have to be patched to play... or the game itself has both video modes in it (which can still be buggy on a few games since PAL games are never designed to run out of region)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you don't use rgb cables, set your loader to video mode disc and it should work. If that doesn't work, set the language to a language used in the game(english for NTSC-U games...). And if it still doesn't work, try Country String patching too. There are new region locked games which don't work yet without changing the wii's region, but not many.

If you get black&white or all red playback, you need to play around with the video mode settings, if not, not.

koji2009 said:
There is a big difference between loading a japanese game on a north american wii, and loading an american game on a european wii.

This difference is called TV signal. Japan and NA both use the NTSC video standard... meaning that they both put out visual data in the exact same way... Where as Europe uses the PAL standard.

That said, many (but not all) Wii games have both video modes coded into them... so simply changing video mode in your backup loader will work fine. Other games don't have both NTSC and PAL signals programmed into them, thus if you try to play a PAL game on an NTSC TV it will likely black screen.

Many modern TVs (NA and PAL) support both video modes (though sometimes not fully.... my HDTV plays PAL signals but with the button portion of the screen cut off... but at least the colors are right
wink.gif
).

Basically, if you're in luck either your TV supports NTSC and PAL signals which is the best option because then the game doesn't have to be patched to play... or the game itself has both video modes in it (which can still be buggy on a few games since PAL games are never designed to run out of region)

>90% of PAL SDTVs support both PAL&NTSC. In most cases you don't even notice if the signal is PAL or NTSC. I don't know about PAL HDTVs, but it seems very stupid to me if those wouldn't support NTSC too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: