skullassfreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,
I have been using my wbfs formatted hhd for a few months and i just bought a new 1 tb hhd. I was exploring new software for wbfs formatting when i came to the conclusion that wbfs is the worst out of the formats to use (fat and ntfs being better) but i hate the 4 gb restriction of fat32 (especially because wii games are 4.4 gbs) but i could find anything about used ntfs. Does anyone know if ntfs has bad compatibility with usbloaders?

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skullassfreak said:
but i hate the 4 gb restriction of fat32 (especially because wii games are 4.4 gbs)
most of the backup manager software apps out there can split the files into fat32-friendly chunks behind the scenes, you neednt concern yourself with that restriction.

LocoRoco

Trophies
XP
Country
the only time the game needs to be split in two is metroid prime and SSBB the dual layer games....all of the other once converted to .wbfs are as same as putting them on a wbfs drive

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is more than that locoroco, they are quite a few games that are just over the 4gb mark. usually they max around 4.13. but it is not a big deal, really, wii backup manager splits them and they play identically to the full size image. they is NO difference in fat32 and ntfs loading, only that ntfs is supported by less programs and you cannot write to ntfs from the wii (correctly, i know GX can do it but you risk your drive). that is it. fat32 wins

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I recommend that you have both. FAT32 with smaller size for homebrew/dumping and NTFS for playing games. Cause with homebrew and dumping FAT32 is going to be fragmented a lot.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
trumpet-205 said:
I recommend that you have both. FAT32 with smaller size for homebrew/dumping and NTFS for playing games. Cause with homebrew and dumping FAT32 is going to be fragmented a lot.
Yep. I have this setup and I can recommend it. You can simply move the games dumped on FAT32 to NTFS with wii backup manager.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I'm using FAT32 + NTFS games being on NTFS and have no problems... And since you are storing DVD images you don't actually need write support... On the contrary it's a good thing that usb loaders doesn't use this filesystem in both modes... (read/write) ... No possibility of filesystem corruption by the usb loaders...

You are in danger when using FAT32 on the other hand when all homebrew accessing it in both read and write mode... FAT32 is not intended to be used on large drives anyway...

skullassfreak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:

Okay, i can dual partition it. What should be the size of the partitions, 500 gb x2, or 250 gb formatted as fat and 750 gb formatted as ntfs? and if i do this i should just write the game files to the ntfs partition?

sorry if im being a noob at this >

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
skullassfreak said:
trumpet-205 said:

Okay, i can dual partition it. What should be the size of the partitions, 500 gb x2, or 250 gb formatted as fat and 750 gb formatted as ntfs? and if i do this i should just write the game files to the ntfs partition?

sorry if im being a noob at this ><

To give you an idea, this is how my USB was setup.

50 GB - FAT32 (Partition #1)
Remaining (450 GB) - NTFS (Partition #2)

You can assign more to FAT32 if you want. But I think 50 GB for FAT32 is sufficent. Put the remaining into NTFS.

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my current setup is 200 gb fat32 for all my homebrew and games and 500 gb ntfs for pc backups, and everything else. Another good thing about this is that everyone knows not to mess with my wii partition
smile.gif
.I would recommend 200 gb fat32 for you too because there arent many great games and I am currently using only 20 gb of my fat32.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes::angry: I Love Pianos 😡