Hacking NS-Atmosphere Payload Injector (overview)

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Has any of you guys looked at the black RCM Loader that's available on AliExpress? It seems to be the exact copy of AceNS - or I think it's the other way around. AceNS is simply the rebranded/relabeled black RCM loader available on AliExpress.

One big advantage this black one has over the white Atmosphere dongle is multiple payloads. It can host and send multiple payloads. We can change the payload being sent at the touch of a button.

So, may I ask, why the white one and not the black one? I need to order one, but am confused.

PS: This is the one I'm talking about...
zzDURa3.jpg

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I need to order one, but am confused.

DON'T order the black one, the "RCMLoader" thing.

Here is the main discussion thread on it:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xkits-rcm-clip-dongle-jig-is-10.518090/page-5

Quoting the last few relevant posts:
- Caps don't seem to stay charged all that long

the caps only last mins not even hour....

But the caps inside literally die just minutes after being fully charged, even without being used. Meaning you'll need to charge it before using it. At that point just use your phone. Definitely pass on this one, get one that can actually hold a charge for longer than 3 minutes

the caps don't sound completely wonderful anymore.

Is this true about needing to charge before every use?
yes. this dongle sucks. the caps holds up mins only, not even close to sx dongle....
Regret buying it.

Is this true about needing to charge before every use?
Yes. Spend the little bit extra to get one with somewhat decent caps

it seems like the sucky xkit dongle looses its charge in like 24 hrs?
Its really annoying.

Between charges literally expect less than 5 minutes, even if you don't use it in those five minutes. It's that bad

If you want a dongle that can hold a charge for longer than a few minutes, the black "RCMLoader" is NOT the dongle for you.

aahli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I get an error with the OSX version, doesn't open:

Code:
Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/NS-Atmosphere.app/Contents/MacOS/NS-Atmosphere
  Reason: image not found

Edit -- it's a missing package related to the WX UI toolkit, but I'm not having any luck tracking it down, I assume the dev has it installed to their system and doesn't realize nobody else does

Edit2 -- I installed WX in homebrew (wxmac package) but it installed 3.0.0 not 3.1 so the programmer still doesn't work

Edit3 -- Since I was already down the rabbit hole, I downloaded and built WXwidgets 3.1 but I didn't see that lib.

Hi, the new version NS-Atmosphere Programmer has released.
Download Link:
http://www.ns-atmosphere.com/media/content/ns-atmosphere-programmer-osx-11.dmg

Maybe can fix the problem.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Has any of you guys looked at the black RCM Loader that's available on AliExpress? It seems to be the exact copy of AceNS - or I think it's the other way around. AceNS is simply the rebranded/relabeled black RCM loader available on AliExpress.

One big advantage this black one has over the white Atmosphere dongle is multiple payloads. It can host and send multiple payloads. We can change the payload being sent at the touch of a button.

So, may I ask, why the white one and not the black one? I need to order one, but am confused.

PS: This is the one I'm talking about...
zzDURa3.jpg
It's good, one of my friends bought it, however the type of capacitors it have is very bad, it doesn't hold charge like sx pro.
Charge for 10-20 seconds for one use and you have to recharge it every time you want to send the payload to the switch.
I guess this is why it priced for $7.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Philourer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this the best injector for the cheapest possible price? (I don't want the one that can't hold a charge)
If you want SX OS and can wait for delivery, look into the SX Pro. Otherwise, I think this is currently the best bang for the buck. Have three in use, no issues yet.

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Guys, before I order this, I have a question. In my case, I sometimes don't play games for 15 to 20 days at a stretch due to hectic work schedule, hence I always power off my Switch using Hekate. Here's how I go about using it...

PC > TegraRCMGUI > ReiNX > Play games on Switch > Restart into AutoRCM > TegraRCMGUI > Hekate > Power Off.

Now, if I were to get this dongle, since it can only hold one payload at a time, any ideas how I can go about my above process? I read somewhere that you can boot into ReiNX from Hekate. Is that true? If it's possible, what I can do is simply keep Hekate in this dongle and go...

Start Switch > Insert dongle > Hekate > Boot into Reinx > Play game > Restart into AutoRCM > Hekate > Power Off.

Is this play possible?

Last edited by GaaraPrime,

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, before I order this, I have a question. In my case, I sometimes don't play games for 15 to 20 days at a stretch due to hectic work schedule, hence I always power off my Switch using Hekate. Here's how I go about using it...

PC > TegraRCMGUI > ReiNX > Play games on Switch > Restart into AutoRCM > TegraRCMGUI > Hekate > Power Off.

Now, if I were to get this dongle, since it can only hold one payload at a time, any ideas how I can go about my above process? I read somewhere that you can boot into ReiNX from Hekate. Is that true? If it's possible, what I can do is simply keep Hekate in this dongle and go...

Start Switch > Insert dongle > Hekate > Boot into Reinx > Play game > Restart into AutoRCM > Hekate > Power Off.

Is this play possible?

I believe this wouldn't be possible, not without having access toa computer to constantly change the payload (but that defeats the purpose).

My question is why would you want to do this though, to get a full power off?
Because if that's all you're wanting to do (not have it boot to rcm as soon as you power off in reiNX).
Then after you hold the button down to select the power off from within ReiNX, just hold the power button down after the screen shuts off, hold it for about 10-15s and you'll have a fully powered off switch. (it's basically a tablet/phone, so holding the button down shuts off the device even when nothing else will)

It might seem like hassle having to hold the button that long, but it's probably no faster launching the hekate payload just for it to it for you.

Oh also I personally insert and power on the dongle prior to powering on my switch, no point having it sit in rcm mode when I can prep everything before I power on the switch. (then turn the dongle off after passing the reiNX splash/seeing Nintendo)

Last edited by Rasa39,

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
My question is why would you want to do this though, to get a full power off?
I sometimes don't play games for 15 to 20 days at a stretch due to hectic work schedule. Last thing I want is my Switch getting drained down to zero power while in RCM mode.

Because if that's all you're wanting to do (not have it boot to rcm as soon as you power off in reiNX).
Then after you hold the button down to select the power off from within ReiNX, just hold the power button down after the screen shuts off, hold it for about 10-15s and you'll have a fully powered off switch. (it's basically a tablet/phone, so holding the button down shuts off the device even when nothing else will)
Power button abuse. Don't want that.

I so wanted Rekado to work for me, but my phone is Redmi Note 3 and does not have XHCI. It has EHCI and the only way to make it work on RN3 is to modify the EHCI to accept the payload size, which can only be done via modifying the kernel, which I don't know how to do. I have asked for help on xda forums, but so far, no help. Hence was thinking about this dongle.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes don't play games for 15 to 20 days at a stretch due to hectic work schedule. Last thing I want is my Switch getting drained down to zero power while in RCM mode.

I so wanted Rekado to work for me, but my phone is Redmi Note 3 and does not have XHCI. It has EHCI and the only way to make it work on RN3 is to modify the EHCI to accept the payload size, which can only be done via modifying the kernel, which I don't know how to do. I have asked for help on xda forums, but so far, no help. Hence was thinking about this dongle.

Yeah I got the first part, I was just asking for clarification (sorry, didn't mean for it to sound like I didn't read your post properly).
I used rekado before but thankfully never ran into your problem (opted for huawei over xiaomi), if you've already checked xda I imagine you've already looked for custom kernels that have this modification already applied?

I don't understand what you mean by power button abuse though, not completely at least. You don't need to apply any extra pressure when holding it down for that extended duration, and if you're only doing it once roughly every 15 days then I can't see it adding much wear onto the button itself. If you're talking from the software side of things not much is going on in rcm if you're there just to power down, it's not like you're forcing a hard shutdown mid system with everything in full swing. (and again, I could be wrong, but I believe hekate just makes your switch think the button is being held down for that amount of time to ensure it powers off fully. Meaning the only difference is in physically pressing the button)

For me I tend to only power down fully when removing the sd card or on the rare occasion a system crash demands I do so, I've left my switch in sleep mode for a couple weeks at a time before and it'll barely drop in battery life. Dunno what it's like for your system though. (also you can buy replacement flex cables for the top buttons, so if you're that worried and don't mind some diy maintenance if your buttons do eventually get worn, then there's at least a cheap solution)

But yeah either way afaik those are your only options since mobile is out of the question, sadly I don't think what you want is easily possible unless someone makes a 2-in-1 dongle that can write a payload to each chip and allow you to switch between them.

Last edited by Rasa39,

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I don't understand what you mean by power button abuse though

I do.
Moving parts are the easiest to break on a device.

I've seen lots of iDevices with broken home buttons, back in the days of the 2nd gen iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, and 1st gen iPad, almost everyone in the office had one, and a LOT of them had broken home buttons, and some broken lock/power buttons.

I personally never press any buttons on my Switch (just on the joycons because those are replaceable).
  • I change the volume by holding the home button
Since I never turn off my Switch, and just leave it docked in sleep mode, I can't even remember the last time I had to press a button on the tablet itself.

Anyway, to answer @ravihpa's question, Hekate 4.2's Launch menu should have a Payloads option, which can launch any binary payload inside the bootloader/payloads/ folder. So I suggest sticking the ReiNX.bin here, then just using Hekate 4.2 as your main payload.

You'll then be doing:
Inject Hekate > Choose Launch > Choose Payloads > Choose ReiNX > Play games on Switch > Restart into AutoRCM > Inject Hekate > Power Off.

You can try this now using TegraRCMGUI for the "Inject Hekate" step only (and just replace that with a dongle later).

Last edited by bundat,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do.
Moving parts are the easiest to break on a device.

I've seen lots of iDevices with broken home buttons, back in the days of the 2nd gen iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, and 1st gen iPad, almost everyone in the office had one, and a LOT of them had broken home buttons, and some broken lock/power buttons.

I personally never press any buttons on my Switch (just on the joycons because those are replaceable).
  • I change the volume by holding the home button
Since I never turn off my Switch, and just leave it docked in sleep mode, I can't even remember the last time I had to press a button on the tablet itself.

Anyway, to answer @ravihpa's question, Hekate 4.2's Launch menu should have a Payloads option, which can launch any binary payload inside the bootloader/payloads/ folder. So I suggest sticking the ReiNX.bin here, then just using Hekate 4.2 as your main payload.

You'll then be doing:
Inject Hekate > Choose Launch > Choose Payloads > Choose ReiNX > Play games on Switch > Restart into AutoRCM > Inject Hekate > Power Off.

You can try this now using TegraRCMGUI for the "Inject Hekate" step only (and just replace that with a dongle later).
Don't you have to push the power button to access the power menu to turn off the switch in the first place? And there is a difference between the home button of a device being pushed numerous times a day and a power button bring pushed once every 15 days. I honestly think you shouldnt be so paranoid, the buttons are designed to be pressed.
Either way, hekate can chainload payloads so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to load ReiNX.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't you have to push the power button to access the power menu to turn off the switch in the first place?
Nope, you can use EasyPower to restart, and with AutoRCM, inject Hekate and power off from there.

You do need to press the button to power on again :P but I don't really turn off my Switch, I just restart to run different payloads when I need to, so I can just use EasyPower for that.

Haven't pressed a button on my main Switch tablet since forever.

Rushhour77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If u dont use it for several days, just shut it down like normal and use the jig to power on. The jig is already in the NS-atmosphere so why bother with autoRCM?
I never used autoRCM but I also always have my switch charged tho and in sleep mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj