Hacking NS-Atmosphere Payload Injector (overview)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also I believe that notification is issued when the package is at your local royal mail, not from the courier delivering it from customs up to wherever your local depo is.

I assumed it came in to Bristol airport, because that is certainly not my local depo. They delivered it the day after they received it. Royal mail told me it was from CCL, which I assume is these people http://ccllhr.com/what-we-do/

Wednesday 05 September
  1. 08:58am
    Item ReceivedSouth West RDC
Thursday 30 August
  1. 05:09pm
    Sender preparing item

Last edited by smf,

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got mine. Just under two weeks to Korea (ordered on AliE, ePacket). Works fine. No problem programming via a VM. Build is really nice.

Reactions: kumikochan

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Received mine last monday. It's working perfectly. I can't compare to TX's dongle, since I never had one, but I can say I wouldn't trade. You should make an official review on gbatemp, @Rasa39

Philourer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Received mine last monday. It's working perfectly. I can't compare to TX's dongle, since I never had one, but I can say I wouldn't trade. You should make an official review on gbatemp, @Rasa39

I can compare.

I had the original SX Pro (daughter lost it literally the day before I got the NS-Atmosphere, that's either great or rotten timing). I see there's been a small hardware revision since mine, looks like the usb-c is a bit longer (definitely noticeable on pictures of the SX Gear). I had to purchase a usb-c extender because the original SX Pro would not work with the Nyko case on the Switch. I can confirm this is not an issue with the NS-Atmosphere, it's raised just enough to clear the case. The size of the SX Pro plus usb-c extender is comparable to the size of the NS-Atmosphere. Also, the jig from the NS-Atmosphere seems to fit a tiny bit better. Slides right into place, whereas the SX jig would slide mostly into place, but needed a bit of a push to ensure proper contact. I love that the jig fits into the NS-Atmosphere, though it's a tiny bit too snug. I kept the SX Pro, a usb-c extender, and a jig in a small plastic bag, it actually took up (barely) more space than the NS-Atmosphere.

As for actual use, I prefer the SX Pro. There's been a time or two that it let me down, didn't have enough juice to send a payload. After I figured out what was up, it was simple enough to fix (either plug directly into a usb-c charger, or get a micro usb cable to charge for a few seconds). I also like that it's ready to send payload after payload. Was dead simple to explain how to use it to my wife and kids. If the Switch crashes and has to be powered off, plug in the dongle. Turn on Switch. Simple instructions, always worked. Not so with the NS-Atmosphere. See, sometimes (but not always, oddly enough) when you do a poweroff on the Switch with AutoRCM enabled, it'll go back into RCM mode. Send a payload when it's in this state and it'll actually poweroff. So the instructions are now "Turn the Switch off. Turn the dongle on. Plug dongle into the Switch. Turn on the Switch. If nothing happens, press the RST button on the dongle and/or turn the dongle off and back on." That's a bit more complicated than "Turn the Switch off, plug in dongle, turn Switch on". Plus they have to remember to turn off the dongle, whereas before they simply had to wait until it was fully booted to remove (this ensures at least a few seconds of recharge time for the SX Pro).

I don't know what's on the NS-Atmosphere from the factory, when I plugged it in the Switch and booted, it just went to a black (but backlit) screen. I flashed the SX payload so it acts just like the SX Pro, looks for boot.dat on the microsd card. I like how it can be changed, but wish there was a way to flash multiple payloads and select without connecting to PC (I know this is an option on others, just saying). The SX Pro is more user-friendly in this regard, no need to install drivers (fyi I didn't have to install any, it just worked on my Windows 10 laptop), flash (note, you must close the app and reopen to flash another dongle else you get an error), etc.

That said, the NS-Atmosphere is dirt cheap, I got five for $51.45USD. If you don't want SX OS I think the NS-Atmosphere is a no-brainer. If you DO want SX OS and can wait for delivery, I'd consider the SX Pro vs the NS-Atmosphere plus separate SX OS license.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can compare.

I had the original SX Pro (daughter lost it literally the day before I got the NS-Atmosphere, that's either great or rotten timing). I see there's been a small hardware revision since mine, looks like the usb-c is a bit longer (definitely noticeable on pictures of the SX Gear). I had to purchase a usb-c extender because the original SX Pro would not work with the Nyko case on the Switch. I can confirm this is not an issue with the NS-Atmosphere, it's raised just enough to clear the case. The size of the SX Pro plus usb-c extender is comparable to the size of the NS-Atmosphere. Also, the jig from the NS-Atmosphere seems to fit a tiny bit better. Slides right into place, whereas the SX jig would slide mostly into place, but needed a bit of a push to ensure proper contact. I love that the jig fits into the NS-Atmosphere, though it's a tiny bit too snug. I kept the SX Pro, a usb-c extender, and a jig in a small plastic bag, it actually took up (barely) more space than the NS-Atmosphere.

As for actual use, I prefer the SX Pro. There's been a time or two that it let me down, didn't have enough juice to send a payload. After I figured out what was up, it was simple enough to fix (either plug directly into a usb-c charger, or get a micro usb cable to charge for a few seconds). I also like that it's ready to send payload after payload. Was dead simple to explain how to use it to my wife and kids. If the Switch crashes and has to be powered off, plug in the dongle. Turn on Switch. Simple instructions, always worked. Not so with the NS-Atmosphere. See, sometimes (but not always, oddly enough) when you do a poweroff on the Switch with AutoRCM enabled, it'll go back into RCM mode. Send a payload when it's in this state and it'll actually poweroff. So the instructions are now "Turn the Switch off. Turn the dongle on. Plug dongle into the Switch. Turn on the Switch. If nothing happens, press the RST button on the dongle and/or turn the dongle off and back on." That's a bit more complicated than "Turn the Switch off, plug in dongle, turn Switch on". Plus they have to remember to turn off the dongle, whereas before they simply had to wait until it was fully booted to remove (this ensures at least a few seconds of recharge time for the SX Pro).

I don't know what's on the NS-Atmosphere from the factory, when I plugged it in the Switch and booted, it just went to a black (but backlit) screen. I flashed the SX payload so it acts just like the SX Pro, looks for boot.dat on the microsd card. I like how it can be changed, but wish there was a way to flash multiple payloads and select without connecting to PC (I know this is an option on others, just saying). The SX Pro is more user-friendly in this regard, no need to install drivers (fyi I didn't have to install any, it just worked on my Windows 10 laptop), flash (note, you must close the app and reopen to flash another dongle else you get an error), etc.

That said, the NS-Atmosphere is dirt cheap, I got five for $51.45USD. If you don't want SX OS I think the NS-Atmosphere is a no-brainer. If you DO want SX OS and can wait for delivery, I'd consider the SX Pro vs the NS-Atmosphere plus separate SX OS license.

I've never had the problem of going into RCM. It's worked every time for me so far. I'd be curious to know if others have that problem, or if it's just yours.

Philourer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had the problem of going into RCM. It's worked every time for me so far. I'd be curious to know if others have that problem, or if it's just yours.

It's a known "issue" with AutoRCM (enters RCM mode after a poweroff in Horizon). I can confirm three of our switches exhibit this (the fourth does not have AutoRCM at the moment). I did explain to them what's going on and why, but their eyes glossed over. Basically, when the Switch is powered off and I plug in the dongle, it will often flash purple (it does this when sending a payload). If I see the blue power led flash purple, I know that when I turn the Switch on it'll just sit there, I have to RST or turn off/on the dongle to get it to send the payload a second time. A minor inconvenience, but it's one that didn't exist with the SX dongle.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's a known "issue" with AutoRCM (enters RCM mode after a poweroff in Horizon). I can confirm three of our switches exhibit this (the fourth does not have AutoRCM at the moment). I did explain to them what's going on and why, but their eyes glossed over. Basically, when the Switch is powered off and I plug in the dongle, it will often flash purple (it does this when sending a payload). If I see the blue power led flash purple, I know that when I turn the Switch on it'll just sit there, I have to RST or turn off/on the dongle to get it to send the payload a second time. A minor inconvenience, but it's one that didn't exist with the SX dongle.

What does the SX dongle do differently to avoid this?

Philourer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does the SX dongle do differently to avoid this?

Short answer: It doesn't have a power switch.

Longer answer: I'm not sure. Maybe it always sends a payload whenever it senses the need? Or if it does need a reset in-between, the act of the Switch fully powering off does the trick. The NS-Atmosphere, having a power switch, doesn't sense this and simply remains on. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out and come up with a patch. I'm happy to test.

Rushhour77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got my second one yesterday and I can confirm, at least for this one, it worked right out of the box. I booted the already prepared switch with the new dongle and it worked right away without flashing anything to the dongle.

Philourer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my second one yesterday and I can confirm, at least for this one, it worked right out of the box. I booted the already prepared switch with the new dongle and it worked right away without flashing anything to the dongle.
What files did you have on your sd card?

aahli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
The NS-Atmosphere Injector has Mac OS programmer, very nice!:rofl2::rofl2:

ns-atmosphere-macos.png__1170x0_q85_subsampling-2_upscale.png

Reactions: stewacide

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The NS-Atmosphere Injector has Mac OS programmer, very nice!:rofl2::rofl2:

ns-atmosphere-macos.png__1170x0_q85_subsampling-2_upscale.png
If I put a guide or a download up so people can flash UF2s (for multipayloads etc) would anyone find it useful?

Idea is... Flash my modified BIN with the NS-atmosphere app, then you have a UF2 enabled dongle. Would it be any good to anybody?

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get an error with the OSX version, doesn't open:

Code:
Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/NS-Atmosphere.app/Contents/MacOS/NS-Atmosphere
  Reason: image not found

Edit -- it's a missing package related to the WX UI toolkit, but I'm not having any luck tracking it down, I assume the dev has it installed to their system and doesn't realize nobody else does

Edit2 -- I installed WX in homebrew (wxmac package) but it installed 3.0.0 not 3.1 so the programmer still doesn't work

Edit3 -- Since I was already down the rabbit hole, I downloaded and built WXwidgets 3.1 but I didn't see that lib.

Last edited by stewacide,
Reactions: Rushhour77

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I put a guide or a download up so people can flash UF2s (for multipayloads etc) would anyone find it useful?

Idea is... Flash my modified BIN with the NS-atmosphere app, then you have a UF2 enabled dongle. Would it be any good to anybody?
I sure would be interested to check it out. Please do include a small guide for usage. Thank you!

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
This is a very nice thread. I love how people are coming together and contributing so much and helping each other out.

Today is my second day with a hacked Switch. I've been using my PC but will try out Rekado on my Android phone. If I feel it doesn't work or I want something better, I'll try ordering this off Aliexpress :)

Reactions: Rasa39

WiseFool

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I feel using my mobile is easier and faster. Since my mobile charging cable is c-to-c I actually don't need to buy anything additional.

Rekado is so simple. I don't even need to unlock my phone or launch the app. Just plug the cable and boom payload is injected.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Shenyan

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi all,

I seem to have a problem downloading programmer from ns-atmosphere website - it just won't open. Could anybody please reupload this tool somewhere like mega, gdrive or else?

Thanks in advance!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I seem to have a problem downloading programmer from ns-atmosphere website - it just won't open. Could anybody please reupload this tool somewhere like mega, gdrive or else?

Thanks in advance!
That's strange! Anyway, here goes. Hope it helps you. http://dl.free.fr/mRZnoZXqe
This is not warez in any shape or form, so I guess it's okay to post.

Reactions: Shenyan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative