Hacking NS-Atmosphere Payload Injector (overview)

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't seem to be able to inject again until I've unplugged the dongle and turned it off and on again.

I believe that's by design, the dongle likely has to initialize the payload script again before injecting by USB. There's a lot of magic going on in the chip when you use it that you can't see.

But how often are you using it that you don't remove it and turn it off between using it anyway? I only need to use it when I have to power down to add something to the SD card which is at most a few times a week.

Last edited by Albytrozz,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that's by design, the dongle likely has to initialize the payload script again before injecting by USB. There's a lot of magic going on in the chip when you use it that you can't see.

It might be how they implemented it, but it's a shitty design. I've been in software development for 30 years, if they put the effort in they could make it loop round.

But how often are you using it that you don't remove it and turn it off between using it anyway? I only need to use it when I have to power down to add something to the SD card which is at most a few times a week.

It's the first time I've used it, so I've been copying things often to the sd card & the switch is crashing pretty much whenever I try switching between software for some reason.

You can push the reset button instead

I'll try it again, but that didn't seem to work for me.

Reactions: Albytrozz

Chris01

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,

I received mine yesterday.
Have a question because I'm still on 2.30 fw.
Can I install all nsp on this fw?
If no is the a way to install a higher fw without going online?

Thanks!

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there something that can be flashed to the device which means I don''t have to? Didn't the internal ones do away with the need for a reset line?
You mean injecting the payload to switch right? For me just hitting restart/hard reset on the switch and power cycling the dongle at the same time causes it to inject the payload again, so I'm not sure what issue you're describing since it seems fine for me.

If your switch is crashing often while you are testing sd files then maybe it is some combination of files and crashing that is messing with the injector somehow.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean injecting the payload to switch right?

No, I'm talking about using OpenOCD to flash some other firmware. Not the payload.
For me just hitting restart/hard reset on the switch and power cycling the dongle at the same time causes it to inject the payload again, so I'm not sure what issue you're describing since it seems fine for me.[/QUOTE]

Having to power cycle the dongle is too annoying. I'm happy for you that you are ok with it but I'd rather not have to remember to do it. Maybe one day when your memory sucks so bad that you forget to do something that you knew to do five minutes earlier, then you'll understand.

Last edited by smf,

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there something that can be flashed to the device which means I don''t have to? Didn't the internal ones do away with the need for a reset line?
Yep. You don`t need a reset line for method 1 in my thread. Because the 3v3 line is power cycled at shutdown, causing another attempt.

With dongles, as they use their own power, this facility doesn`t exist. Who keeps their dongle plugged in all the time anyway? You boot, unplug dongle and should plug it back in when you shut down (if using autoRCM)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who keeps their dongle plugged in all the time anyway? You boot, unplug dongle and should plug it back in when you shut down (if using autoRCM)

I've been removing sd card often and the switch has been crashing as I've been trying different software, leaving it plugged in saves wear on the port.

Is it really difficult to have it loop round to waiting for RCM mode again after it's injected?

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been removing sd card often and the switch has been crashing as I've been trying different software, leaving it plugged in saves wear on the port.

Is it really difficult to have it loop round to waiting for RCM mode again after it's injected?
If this NS thing has a reset button, you should just need to press that to resend the payload.

If you are worried about wear on the port, you can either mod internally, or not mod at all.

I can write some software for it that can check for RCM say every 30 seconds, I would have thought you risk port damage by having it hanging out of the console like a pair of bollocks dangling about all the time.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought you risk port damage by having it hanging out of the console like a pair of bollocks dangling about all the time.

It's sitting on a bench, I use wireless joysticks.

Why every 30 seconds? Is there a problem if it starts again straight away? Will it use too much power or something?

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well it`s a waste of power.

Let me just make sure we are on same page.

You want to keep your dongle connected all the time?

I guess you can have it looking for RCM all the time. But it is a waste of time and power.

Am I correct? Forgive my ignorance its been a bloody long day I`m just trying to picture what you are trying to do. People normally inject payload and disconnect...

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If it makes you feel any better you have a far greater chance messing your Switch up by hacking the software than any physical wear and tear will do, you even said yourself you keep crashing it. I'm willing to gamble anything that your software or memory bricks from "trying different software" before you get a chance to wear any ports out...

Last edited by Albytrozz,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it makes you feel any better you have a far greater chance messing your Switch up by hacking the software than any physical wear and tear will do, you even said yourself you keep crashing it. I'm willing to gamble anything that your software or memory bricks from "trying different software" before you get a chance to wear any ports out...

I'll take that bet for a million pounds. Stick it in escrow and I'll break the usb port.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4