Now that Nintendo has abandoned Wii U, will the hacking scene take off?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Bryon15, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week

Also the last firmware for it was 5.5.1 which came out way back in January. So it seems like nintendo doesn't care anymore. This is good news for the hacking scene since they don't have to worry about nintendo blocking them with updates. I can't wait until this thing gets cracked open. Oddly enough the most thing I want is a fully functional N64 emulator. Without the dim screen and black bars on the side.

KiiWii likes this.
  2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    I mean they still could drop a last minute update, no one knows when or if they will or not, which could patch some stuff like browser sploit and things.

3. CLOUD9RED

CLOUD9RED GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2016
    Swaziland
    well PS3 received an update yesterday... and how old is that brick? :)

4. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Discontinuation of the product isn't going to make it more popular. I don't believe it will ever be a viable homebrew target simply because not enough people have one and there are so many other, cheaper devices out there that have very similar specifications and features and yet aren't bogged down with shitty proprietary operating systems. The only useful and exclusive functionality of the Wii U is playing Wii U games

Ryccardo likes this.
  5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The thing about Nintendo is, once they drop something, they just drop it.
    If Nintendo is killing the system they will either make a few updates, but will drop it very quickly. Nintendo doesn't seem to dwell much on the past.

6. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    just like sony with the vita, nintendo has come to realize that their system has failed them.

7. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    that's what the switch is for

8. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The PSP had the 6.61 update not too long ago, and it's been a dead platform for ages.

9. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    The hacking scene doesn't depend on whether the company still supports it or not.
    It depends on whether hackers are interested in hacking it.

10. Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Pretty sure they realized this much sooner, but what are you gonna do? Have nothing at all in store for 1-2 years before the successor releases?

I for one am glad my Wii U got a little bit of third party and a fair amount of first party support in the end and it's one of my favorite consoles, something my Vita is as well, which got a little bit more third party support - at least for the kind of things I'm playing. :)

tl;dr: love them both, glad they got their turn, fun to collect for, but yes, not big hits in the West.

True, but I and I believe many others don't want to hack their console as long as they still need a legit one for online play.

My PS1 was modded not long after I got it back in the day, but ever since my PS3 I made a distinction and quite frankly, my Xbox 360 was modded right away, but I didn't care much about online play back then.

Last edited by Glassed Silver, Nov 2, 2016
  11. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yes, but When the system becomes unsupported by it's maker, development can continue without update fuckery disrupting everything like on 3DS.

Glassed Silver likes this.
  12. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Let's not get too hasty - there's still BoTW, and there was that DSi update...
    That said, what Nintendo's up to really won't affect the homebrew scene much at all. As long as we don't lose PowerPC kernel everything should be fine and homebrew will keep on chugging along.

13. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Sony hasn't dropped support for it yet, though.

14. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Hacking scene activity tends to be somewhat proportional to consumer interest in the system.
    I don't see how hardware production stopping helps things. If you think it's because they'll stop updating, I think you'll be proven wrong. Nintendo will eventually update WiiU and fix the current exploits.

15. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Considering the browser is the biggest entrypoint right now, I'm actually shocked it wasn't fixed months ago.

16. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Fan

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    I think it is more like Nintendo has failed the system and its owners.
    The PS3 is still supported by a lot of third party companies with games while the Vita is still pretty alive in Japan getting more third party games that the Wii U have ever seen... The Wii U had only first party games since late 2013, and Nintendo stopped making new Wii U games since late 2015. Today we only get crappy indie game attempts at best most of the time.

Anyway, since Nintendo pulled this bs of leaving Wii U owners for more than a year without any decent release for the masses until BotW launches in march 2017(even after Iwata himself said they would support it until owners were satisfied), my recommendation is don't get lazy and keep an eye in those router blocks and DNS settings because it seems pretty obvious that Nintendo will do one last dick move in march by releasing an system update that is mandatory if you want to play Breath of the Wild.

Of course i hope i am wrong.

Last edited by Pachee, Nov 2, 2016
  17. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States

Yet the Vita just got a firmware update....wasn't that long ago that it got 3.61...then it just got 3.63...

18. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    kernel? psh, you don't need kernel for iosu, just homebrew launcher is a convenience

19. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    You're acting as if HBL isn't my end goal ;D
    In my eyes, IOSU is the convenience here.

20. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I just want to eventually launch homebrew launcher from the Home Menu as an icon, instead of the web browser. Combined with the brazilian usb thing, that's my dream come true. Homebrew with free games.

AboodXD and Tomato Hentai like this.