Notch suggests Psychonauts 2 to Schafer?

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is amazing news. I was hoping and hoping that a sequel was silently in the works already. So this is a bit of a let down since it will be years before we see the sequel, but hopefully Schafer agrees to this publisher so we'll at least see a sequel.

Really amazing news. I'm going to have to break out the Xbox, I have a craving to replay the game now.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would sell well honestly, allot has changed since the first one was released
Well that and it has a really good reputation nowadays
And notch being behind it helps, man has allot of twitter followers

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must be one of the few people that found the actual gameplay in this game derivative and boring. (The story and such were fun, but the game was just ZZZ city and Schaefer et al should stick to adventure games.)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better build a shrine to Tim Schafer. Notch just provides ze moniez (from what I gathered).

First off, I seriously doubt that Notch and Schafer would ever collaborate on a game. Notch has no experience in basically anything past Minecraft. A game that, no matter how you see it, is filled with incredibly deep flaws and a game he's since stopped working on. The game's design is now on one of his coworkers last time I checked. Then there's Scrolls which no one would ever care about if it wasn't for Minecraft.

Second off, I don't even see how a collaboration would be helpful. Notch isn't exactly a genius game designer. He hasn't made anything on the scale of a retail release. He's basically made a game, released it as imperfect, then continually finished development while it's already out. Something acceptable for digital distributed PC games but it would never fly with anything else. Psychonauts 2 would probably be an entire Schafer game and I doubt Mojang would ever be involved at all.

Plus I'm not exactly a fan of Notch. He's always come off to me as trying to be the Shingeru Miyamoto of indie gaming when there's so many other devs who I would say made a larger impact (Pixel of Cave Story fame, Garry Newman of Garry's Mod, and so on). But that's just me.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Looks like Notch wasn't needed.

WoooooooooOOOOoooOoOoooOOooo!

UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms, be translated into more languages, have more music and voice, and an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better build a shrine to Tim Schafer. Notch just provides ze moniez (from what I gathered).

First off, I seriously doubt that Notch and Schafer would ever collaborate on a game. Notch has no experience in basically anything past Minecraft. A game that, no matter how you see it, is filled with incredibly deep flaws and a game he's since stopped working on. The game's design is now on one of his coworkers last time I checked. Then there's Scrolls which no one would ever care about if it wasn't for Minecraft.

Second off, I don't even see how a collaboration would be helpful. Notch isn't exactly a genius game designer. He hasn't made anything on the scale of a retail release. He's basically made a game, released it as imperfect, then continually finished development while it's already out. Something acceptable for digital distributed PC games but it would never fly with anything else. Psychonauts 2 would probably be an entire Schafer game and I doubt Mojang would ever be involved at all.

Plus I'm not exactly a fan of Notch. He's always come off to me as trying to be the Shingeru Miyamoto of indie gaming when there's so many other devs who I would say made a larger impact (Pixel of Cave Story fame, Garry Newman of Garry's Mod, and so on). But that's just me.
Eh, a lot fo this is wrong, but I don't really want to waste time talking about it when you can spend a few looking up Notch's history. In short, he is very very good at his craft (programming) and doesn't do design. He got "famous" off of Minecraft, but has been programming for a long long...long time before that. Also, having met him, I can say that he is incredibly humble and doesn't view himself as anything more than a person who made a game. He doesn't want or desire any special treatment.

Reactions: 1 person

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
VG247 editor promised to eat his own trousers on camera if this project succeeds.

qgtqJ.jpg

trollies.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1