Hacking Not a brick, but not usable for HBC either

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish I'd done my research ahead of time and/or found this community earlier. Now I come humbly seeking help to figure out what I did wrong. I'll try to be as thorough as I can here and include as much info as I can recall.

I started with the guide at http://www.mikeandheth.com/games/109-store...tem-menu-4.html and had it mostly working with little trouble. The only problem I was aware of was some weird scrolling in the GUI of GSX Loader. I know now there were other problems...

Bootmii has never loaded. There was nothing in that guide about using it to back up the NAND so I didn't realize it should be loading and wasn't. I have yet to ever get it to actually load. I have seen the load screen pop up for half a second on a number of occasions but it immediately disappears before I can do anything. I've tried installing it as boot2 and as IOS. Both install correctly but neither actually loads. Since it never loads I have no NAND backup.
frown.gif

The scrolling problem has also moved into the HBC. If I have more than 4 items in the Apps folder on the SD card the HBC loads and just scrolls back and forth between the two pages of apps constantly. I can't actually click on anything and the only way out is the power button on the console. If I have 4 or less items it seems to work OK.

If I load something with a GUI like GSX loader or the homebrew browser, they load, but I'm unable to click on any sort of selection. Some navigation works in the homebrew browser. I can use the right and left arrows to change categories and I can open the help or use the sort buttons on the right. I can't scroll up and down or actually select anything in any of the categories though. In GSX Loader I can't click on anything at all.

Text screen apps like anytitle deleter or all of the IOS and CIOS updates etc. work just fine.

I've run completely through the guide on the link above as well as the one on this forum. I can't seem to make any progress in getting it all working. My serial starts with LU57 so I shouldn't be in the LU64+ group. I started with, and am currently back at system menu 4.1.

The Wii works just fine with disc games and I can't tell at all that anything's amiss unless trying to work with HBC or homebrew apps. We're planning on taking it on vacation with us next month to entertain the kids and would like to have all of the games on a hard drive to save space and keep from losing or damaging discs. Hopefully someone can help get me back on track.

Thanks in advance!

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you bought your Wii as System Menu 4.0/4.1 or it was a later 3.4, it is a LU64+ Wii. Serial numbers don't make too much sense at the moment, it's better to refer to the date. Late 2008 was when these Wiis started coming out I believe.

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii was bought June 10 2008. No idea what the original system menu was as I didn't even think of hacking it that far back.
smile.gif

Additional:
I've tried 6 different SD cards including two that are specifically on the bootmii compatibility list. I've also tried various format techniques for FAT, FAT32 and also tried the sdfv2000.exe SD formatter.

mrgarrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wierd problem...

I would start with DOP IOS v7 and replace your IOS files with current/clean ones

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS

When updating IOS 36 and 60, install all available patches. Don't bother patching the others.
If you have Preloader, make SURE you patch IOS 60 or you'll have to reinstall preloader after. Although I did just to be safe anyways...

Then I would grab the hackmii installer and uninstall/reinstall the Homebrew Channel. As your wii works fine with everything except this, it would make sence that its just the HBC. But I could be wrong
tongue.gif

If the problem is in DOP IOS as well, try the uninstall/reinstall of HBC first.

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens when you access the homebrew channel? You can load bootmii as an ios from the homebrew channel. Also, how are you preparing your sd cards for boot2 boomii? Are you running the hackmii installer via bannerbomb?

If you can't access homebrew channel, then you had a corrupt wad and need to reinstall homebrew. If only bootmii as boot2 is the problem... either it's your wii or you're not preparing the sd correctly or your sd cards are not compatible (unlikely, since you tried a bunch of them).

You can also check if bootmii boot2 has been installed correctly by booting without an sd card (there should be 3 flashes of blue light if you installed correctly).

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Mrgarrison. I went ahead and tried it but the results are the same after replacing 36 and 60 with that tool and uninstalling/reinstalling HBC.
Would it be safe/prudent to replace the other IOSs with the same tool in case I fat fingered somewhere and borked one of them?

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metroid4life14,
When I access HBC, if there are 4 or less items on the list, it loads fine and the apps load, but not correctly if they use a GUI. If there are more than 4 items in the list of apps, the screen jumps quickly back and forth between the the two screens of apps and I'm unable to click on anything to launch an app.

I haven't been able to get bootmii to load as boot2 or IOS.

I am using hackmii via bannerbomb.

I was getting the flashes indicating bootmii was installed whether I had the card installed or not most of the time. Early on when I was getting the flash of the bootmii screen, I didn't get the flashes, but later, I'd just get the flashes. I did confirm that the files are in the correct place on the SD for bootmii.

Two of the cars I've tried are on the compatibility list.

technosexual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have more than one wiimote? sounds like it could be a bad one. if you only have one check if theres any gunk in the dpad or +/- buttons. or try to put more than 4 apps on your sd, start hbc then rip a battery out of the wiimote so it starts with nothing sync'd. see if that does anything

otherwise you could reinstall hbc with the hackmii installer(it both removes and installs it). could try that.

as far as bootmii not starting, it needs files on the sd card. whenever you set it up it would have made a sd:/bootmii/ folder. the files in there are needed or bootmii/boot2 just skips past itself and loads system menu. there is an option in the hackmii installer under bootmii for prepare sd card. i dont remember if that formats the sd card or writes the needed files tho.

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried two wiimotes. They also function fine in games loaded by disc.

Tried uninstall and reinstall of HBC after DOP of IOS 36 and 60 (above).

I have confirmed the files for bootmii are in their correct location on the card.

Would it be safe/prudent to replace the other IOSs with the same tool in case I fat fingered somewhere and borked one of them?

professa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
also try giving your wiimote a healthy whack, when i first installed the HBC on my mates wii his remote worked upside down (only in HBC - system menu & games ok)
he did some research and found the answer was to give it a smack, worked like a charm.

not exactly the same problem of course but worth a shot maybe

also are you sure with bootmii that it's not just your tv not getting the signal
i had that and used bootmii configuration utility (seperate app through HBC) to change the video settings for Bootmii (to in my case pal50)

technosexual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terry1769 said:
I've tried two wiimotes. They also function fine in games loaded by disc.

Tried uninstall and reinstall of HBC after DOP of IOS 36 and 60 (above).

I have confirmed the files for bootmii are in their correct location on the card.

there isnt really a need to go and replace all ios files, cause it only uses whats loaded.

try this. use dop-ios to install ios61. then go uninstall and reinstall hbc using the hackmii installer. hbc should then be using ios61. you can confirm this by hitting home in hbc after the reinstall and checking the top right corner

also, what version of the hackmii installer are you using?

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
if you have ever downgraded the system....well lets just say downgrading and upgrading can cause that issue w/ the hbc ive only saw it on 2 other wiis b4....but I have saw that and while most experienced users may think "hey why dont you try another sd card" that didnt work either from my experience this happens RARELY when you go from 4.1 to 3.2 and back to 4.1 there seems to be issues with this and the weird thing thats differtent in these 2 wiis case from yours is...BOOTMII would ONLY install as a ios for those wiis and NOT as boot2 though they were fully able to make a nand backup and function aside from the issue with the HBC (also never tried less apps like having 4 in there so our always did that till we installed a new wad was even the BEER CHANNEL
smile.gif
)...All we did was install the HBC from a WAD and that seemed to do the trick for us...

ALSO I had to make a few of my CORPS cios back into originals for the hackmii installer to work at all (the newer one) but after the update i re-ran cioscorps and all is fine....

So for HBC i would see if you cant find a decent (confirmed and tested) HBC wad (got mine via torrent with MANY SEEDS (a good sign that its legit is massive seed counts)

Also check into dop ios and ios sanity check maybe you just need to install a official IOS to fix this then try the proccess again? just throwing some stuff out 2 ponder
wink.gif
good luck bro!

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend had the HBC scrolling back and forth. As it turned out, he needed to remove the GC memory cards. Not sure how they made the HBC jump back and forth like that...

If you don't have any GC cards inserted, do what vettacosx said and install it from a wad. You can use pretty much any version of HBC. (my other wii has beta7 on it still, works fine). You could also try resyncing the wiimote, although it's unlikely to help.

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all. Unfortunately I'm still in the same boat.
Bootmii flashes briefly on startup but doesn't stay up long enough for me to click anything.
Preloader is installed but I have yet to actually see it. I know it's installed though because if I boot without the SD card in it complains it can't find hacks.ini.

I've tried smacking the wiimotes around on the off chance they just needed it. No help.
I've tried the NTSC and PROGRESSIVE settings for the video in bootmii (I'm definitely not on PAL). NTSC makes it flash briefly on the screen. Progressive, it never shows at all.

I've replaced IOS61 and then uninstalled and reinstalled HBC. No help.
I uninstalled HBC and installed HBC 1.1 froma WAD. It now says its using IOS 36 but otherwise behaves exactly the same as before.
I did SignCheck (=Sanity Check I think). Output below.

I have no GC cards or controllers.
I re-synced the wii remotes.

I have a hard drive with my games I loaded from the wii when it was all working. USB Loader GX and Configurable USB Loader won't connect to the drive at all. Homebrew browser when it starts says it mounted the USB device so I don't know what's up there.
Still can't click on anything or scroll up or down in homebrew browser. I can scroll left and right just fine.

Just figured out something else. I can scroll up and down in the homebrew browser if I connect the nunchuck and use its joystick. Still select any of the items with any button. I can click on the tabs to navigate, the help button, or the buttons along the right side. Just not any of the downloadable items.

At this point I can believe there may be something odd with both my wii remotes that could cause the issues with scrolling and not being able to click anything. It's a long shot, but it's a reasonable one.
smile.gif

Anyone have any ideas about the remaining issues? Preloader and bootmii won't load and I can no longer get USB Loader to see my HD (or even a small thumb drive that worked previously).

SignCheck 0.3 aka /dev/nintystuff build report
Wii region Usa
Wii unique device id 73564040

IOS number "Trucha bug" "Flash access" "Boot2 access" "Usb2.0 IOS tree"

IOS250 (ver 65535) Enabled Disabled Disabled Enabled
IOS249 (ver 14) Enabled Disabled Disabled Enabled
IOS222 (ver 4) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS202 (ver 2) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS61 (ver 4890) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS60 (ver 6174) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS57 (ver 5404) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS56 (ver 4890) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS55 (ver 5149) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS53 (ver 5149) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS38 (ver 3610) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS37 (ver 3612) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS36 (ver 3094) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS35 (ver 3092) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS34 (ver 3091) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS33 (ver 2834) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS31 (ver 3092) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS28 (ver 1293) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS22 (ver 780) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS17 (ver 518) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS14 (ver 263) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS13 (ver 16) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled

technosexual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terry1769 said:
Bootmii flashes briefly on startup but doesn't stay up long enough for me to click anything.

check your bootmii.ini file does it have a entry for bootdelay=? if its set to something under 5 you should up it so you have a better chance to hit it. or you could set autoboot=off until you do what you need to do.
you cannot use a wiimote with bootmii as boot2, you either have to use a gc controller or the power/reset buttons on the wii. read the readme.

terry1769 said:
I've tried the NTSC and PROGRESSIVE settings for the video in bootmii (I'm definitely not on PAL). NTSC makes it flash briefly on the screen. Progressive, it never shows at all.
do you have a hdtv with the correct cables? if so it should be progressive, if not it should be ntsc.

terry1769 said:
I've replaced IOS61 and then uninstalled and reinstalled HBC. No help.
I uninstalled HBC and installed HBC 1.1 froma WAD. It now says its using IOS 36 but otherwise behaves exactly the same as before.
there is no hbc 1.1, but im not sure where you got a wad of hbc anyway.

QUOTE(terry1769 @ Sep 18 2009, 10:09 PM) I have a hard drive with my games I loaded from the wii when it was all working. USB Loader GX and Configurable USB Loader won't connect to the drive at all. Homebrew browser when it starts says it mounted the USB device so I don't know what's up there.

a usb loader will only read wbfs partitions for games, and im pretty sure homebrew browser will only use a fat32 partition. so if you dont have one of each, theres your problem.

QUOTE(terry1769 @ Sep 18 2009, 10:09 PM)
Still can't click on anything or scroll up or down in homebrew browser. I can scroll left and right just fine.

are you sure the wiimote(s) work? try in a game that doesnt require a nunchuck.

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help.
smile.gif

I set the boot delay to 10. Bootmii flashes on the screen for half a second then it goes to a black screen for 10 seconds. Then the Wii goes into its normal boot sequence requesting to press A. Preloader also never gives me any kind of config screen. I only know it's there because of the hacks.ini error if I boot without the SD card.

Same happens when trying to run it from HBC (installed as IOS and boot2, also tried each way individually).

I'm using the standard component cable so NTSC is correct. I tried Progressive based on earlier suggestions and it didn't work.

Got the WAD from a torrent as directed in this thread. The version was a typo. It was 1.0.1. It also popped up asking to download and install the latest, 1.0.3. After determining that 1.0.1 misbehaved the same way, I let it and am now back at 1.0.3.

The partition format makes sense. USB Loader GX will mount a FAT drive and offer to let you format it. When it didn't connect to my HD, I put if a FAT32 formatted thumb drive that it detected just fine before to see if it still would. That drive was still attached when I loaded homebrew browser. Unfortunately it still doesn't tell me why USB Loader GX won't see it at all any more, nor the wbfs HD with games previously loaded through USB Loader GX.

The wiimotes work fine with and without nunchucks in games. Haven't seen any problems with them at all outside of HB stuff. They are the two original wiimotes that came with the console bundle and not third party ones in case that matters.

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible that bootmii and preloader are conflicting? Is sounds like you have preloader AND bootmii set to autoboot. Take out the sd card, set preloader to load to sysmenu, and then try bootmii.

technosexual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metroid4life14 said:
Is it possible that bootmii and preloader are conflicting? Is sounds like you have preloader AND bootmii set to autoboot. Take out the sd card, set preloader to load to sysmenu, and then try bootmii.

not really. bootmii as boot2 loads before anything else on the system is started.

as far as the guy with the problem goes, i cant think of anything else.

terry1769

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get into preloader to set it to do anything. Is there a way to do t manually in the hacks.ini?

Also, Preloader was only recently installed as part of trying to fix it. Bootmii was alone originally.

Thanks for the help folks. If everyone is tapped I may have to give up on it. I'll keep watching to see if anyone else has an idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi