Noob question on Hardrive upgrades

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by blaisedinsd, May 29, 2013.

1. blaisedinsd
    OP

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I have an 80GB phat PS3.

If I upgrade the hard drive can I put the 80GB one in a PS2?

Where is a good place to get play station compatible hard drives and how can you know if the are compatible (PS2 and PS3)?

2. KDH

KDH GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Kansas
    Unless you have a 2.5" SATA to 3.5" IDE converter that's compatible with the PS2 (unlikely), then you're not going to be using the 80GB PS3 drive for that.

As for which HDDs are compatible; I think any 2.5" SATA drive will work with the PS3 as long as it has a speed of at least 5400 RPM. For the PS2 you should look here to see which ones are compatible, and then head to eBay/Craig's List/garage sales/used PC stores/etc. to find one. As a more general rule, any IDE drive will most likely work, though most Western Digital drives will require you to modify either the drive itself (by snapping the power/data divider off) or the PS2's network adapter (by taking it apart and moving the power connector to one side). You can LOOK for a compatible converter, but I doubt they'll be easier to find/cheaper than even a far larger, say 400GB, IDE HDD. Plus it's usually more reliable to use the native interface, at least when it comes to consoles.

3. blaisedinsd
    OP

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Thank you for your excellent and informative reply