Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I really want to do is off load the files such as homebrew launcher and all that on to the hdd if possible
For homebrew, and Gamecube games/other roms, that can all be done on the SD.

The HDD comes into play for Wii games mostly, but obviously its nice to have that space for Gamecube as well

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
see the thing is I lost my sd card and all I have are usb drives
The homebrew channel can load apps from USB but anecdotally some apps do not behave well. Try it out. You have to change settings in the homebrew channel iirc.

Best option is always sd for app loading.

Seb_4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First time hacking here (Not sure if this counts as a noob question). I have the files for Super Mario Galaxy 2 on my computer and got them on dolphin. I have my SMG2 folder with all of the folders inside. The important ones are StageData and ObjectData. Both are there. When I open the folder in Whitehole, the galaxies appear and everything is fine. However, when I go to add an object, nothing appears. The list of objects is empty even though the folder is there and all the objects are in the level. Does anyone know why the list won't appear?

Note: When I click on one of the other objects and change its name, the object changes. It's only when I try to add a new object.

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would usb work?
Might work for an hour, day, week, month.
You will run into more issues then you want.
You will have the flash drive shit out eventually, it will corrupt, it will make you want to throw your Wii at a horse.
You'll end up spending ~$40 on new flash drives, thinking it will work, it won't.

Spend the $ on a 250/500gb/1tb HDD, your experience will be a lot better.

People (noobs) will say "U r an stoopid they work gr8 u just dont no wat u r doing"
Smart people will tell you how it is.
Flash drives are shit, HDD is the only way to go.

(look at what Cyan says. Follow what Cyan says. He's the person I've learned most of the Wii stuff from, just reading his posts will bump your IQ a few points)
Nope, if a USB stick works, it works. You may encounter a few problems but that’s because homebrew apps are not optimized for USB so the best would be an sd but if it works, it works.
Hdd is the best way to go but not the only way, you can do full sd (there are wii game loaders that support ds like wiiflow)
It is your choice

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, if a USB stick works, it works. You may encounter a few problems but that’s because homebrew apps are not optimized for USB so the best would be an sd but if it works, it works.
Hdd is the best way to go but not the only way, you can do full sd (there are wii game loaders that support ds like wiiflow)
It is your choice
I like setting people up for 100% success, which is why I (and many other people) recommend HDD for Wii/GC, SD for the rest.
Yes, you can load Wii games from your SD. You can enjoy the extra long boot time, huge FPS drops, and all the other really fun stuff that comes with SD loading like that. Don't expect that SD card to live long either.

It's just a known thing to avoid flash drives, and a known thing that SD backup loading is not optimal either. He can try all he wants no problem at all, but I'm just saying what needs to be said to get him properly set up, and not jump through shit for days/weeks trying to use flash drives.

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like setting people up for 100% success, which is why I (and many other people) recommend HDD for Wii/GC, SD for the rest.
Yes, you can load Wii games from your SD. You can enjoy the extra long boot time, huge FPS drops, and all the other really fun stuff that comes with SD loading like that. Don't expect that SD card to live long either.

It's just a known thing to avoid flash drives, and a known thing that SD backup loading is not optimal either. He can try all he wants no problem at all, but I'm just saying what needs to be said to get him properly set up, and not jump through shit for days/weeks trying to use flash drives.
I understand but I always keep in mind that maybe people are not fortunate enough to afford an hdd and they only have what they have so in my opinion it is better to point to the best option but to present the other ones too.

Renovatio

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Dear Friends,

So Many time has past when i hack a Wii. Now a friend of mine gave me an usb device, Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 64GB, and would like to have some backups in there. He runs backups with wiiflow. I look for the kingston and found this site, would like to ask if the list is actual and can tell him there's no way to use the pendrive he bought.

There's the list on the site.

Clearly, it's written kingston 64gb doesn't work. Also, for the future there could be a patch...so, situation is this, i guess.
All i ask is a confirm, so i won't open the pendrive (is new boxed) and look for a change. Thanks a lot.

FancyNintendoGamer567

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBATemp compatibility list is old, all I can say is try it out yourself and see if it works.
Make sure to install cIOSes before trying to load up backups and also use Wii Backup Manager (PC Program) to make things easier.

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The GBATemp compatibility list is old, all I can say is try it out yourself and see if it works.
Make sure to install cIOSes before trying to load up backups and also use Wii Backup Manager (PC Program) to make things easier.
Dear Friends,

So Many time has past when i hack a Wii. Now a friend of mine gave me an usb device, Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 64GB, and would like to have some backups in there. He runs backups with wiiflow. I look for the kingston and found this site, would like to ask if the list is actual and can tell him there's no way to use the pendrive he bought.

There's the list on the site.

Clearly, it's written kingston 64gb doesn't work. Also, for the future there could be a patch...so, situation is this, i guess.
All i ask is a confirm, so i won't open the pendrive (is new boxed) and look for a change. Thanks a lot.
The loaders too are old, the wii is an old console, it would surprise me a lot if that USB stick was listed as not working and would work

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Yan3

LewieP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You should be able to go into data management (in the wii's settings) and move your installed wads to the sd card

try it out
Ha! I didn't know it was an option already!

Any ideas why I might be getting a black screen when running SNES VC titles, but not for other VC stuff?

Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha! I didn't know it was an option already!

Any ideas why I might be getting a black screen when running SNES VC titles, but not for other VC stuff?
It's your tv, not your Wii.

The Wii is putting out a different signal and the newer tv can't recognize it.

Try it on another tv to see what I mean.

LewieP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's your tv, not your Wii.

The Wii is putting out a different signal and the newer tv can't recognize it.

Try it on another tv to see what I mean.
Are you sure? I have no trouble with other VC titles, Mega Drive or Master System, for example.

Edit: and the wii remote desyncs, and I have to do a hard reset.

Last edited by LewieP,

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure? I have no trouble with other VC titles, Mega Drive or Master System, for example.

Edit: and the wii remote desyncs, and I have to do a hard reset.
I don't know what it could be in that case, but I do know I had a similar issue and it was the tv.

LewieP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know what it could be in that case, but I do know I had a similar issue and it was the tv.
I just tried, and it's just NTSC SNES VC games that are the problem. They are crashing upon booting, but PAL SNES VC games load fine.

But I did the steps in modding the system to make it region free...

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just tried, and it's just NTSC SNES VC games that are the problem. They are crashing upon booting, but PAL SNES VC games load fine.

But I did the steps in modding the system to make it region free...
Since you’ve installed priiloader go in its options and activate “region free everything” and “region free channels”
Don’t forget to save the settings before hitting b

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: