Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

blizeH

Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
blizeH said:
Hello guys, just a few questions if that's okay...

1. What's the best, simplest way of (soft?) modding my Wii in such a way? I'm fairly computer savvy (I think!) but still want something fairly fool proof as it's on my parent's Wii console (I did buy it for them though, and will buy them a replacement if I mess up!!)

2. Do you need an external hard drive, or would a 4GB card suffice?

3. If your console is modded, can you still upgrade to the latest Wii firmware etc, and play online? And also use the store to purchase WiiWare titles and the like after trying them?

Thanks
smile.gif
Sorry to bump this, but any ideas please guys? Would like to get involved in doing something tomorrow if possible
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kekkimaru said:
tj_cool said:
Kekkimaru said:
I was curious about softmodding my wii, but I really don't want to brick it. I don't have a copy of Twilight Princess to do the twilight hack, so I was thinking about using bannerbomb, but the big issue I have with doing anything is the fact that my firmware is at 4.1U. Being that I am a noob at this, should I even bother with bannerbomb, or if I got a copy of twilight princess what are the chances that I could successfully softmod my wii without turning it into an expensive door stop?
You have 4.x so no choice but to use bannerbomb. Twilight Hack doesn't work

What are the chances I'll brick my wii trying to install the homebrew channel with bannerbomb?

0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%. AFTER that that percentage can change depending on how much you read and understand before doing stuff and how few stupid things you decide to do on your own. Just don't do anything rash and don't EVER delete or uninstall anything involving IOS and you should be fine. Just follow my directions below.

QUOTE(WiiFSA @ Jul 24 2009, 03:09 PM) ok so after getting NO help in Backup Loaders forum I came here.
so ama just copy paste my problem.

Help getting USB Loader GX to work all games go to black screen, and SD/USB loader 1.5 freezes on "booting wii game, please wait..."

I'm also rly confusing regarding cIOS, how can I install cIOS38 rev13b, if cIOS36 rev10 is already installed in IOS249?

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Are you sure rev10 was properly installed in the first place? Rev10 should work as well for most games. It would more likely be a problem of missing IOS or something. When's the last time you updated? If you aren't on 4.0 or 4.1 already I would suggest updating now by running Waninkoko's 4.1 updater.

As for updating cIOS, you can always run an installer for whatever revision you want and it will install over IOS249 so whatever rev you install last is the one you will be on. Also I suggest rev13a over 13b, although rev14 may be out this weekend or so.

QUOTE(blizeH @ Jul 24 2009, 07:26 PM)
Hello guys, just a few questions if that's okay...

1. What's the best, simplest way of (soft?) modding my Wii in such a way? I'm fairly computer savvy (I think!) but still want something fairly fool proof as it's on my parent's Wii console (I did buy it for them though, and will buy them a replacement if I mess up!!)

2. Do you need an external hard drive, or would a 4GB card suffice?

3. If your console is modded, can you still upgrade to the latest Wii firmware etc, and play online? And also use the store to purchase WiiWare titles and the like after trying them?

Thanks
smile.gif

There's a couple solid guides floating around the forums like the uber soft mod guide and stuff. But basically the steps to follow are:

1. Use the Bannerbomb exploit to run the hackmii installer. http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/

2. While in the hackmii installer, install the homebrew channel and then go to "bootmii..." and see if you can install as boot2. (If you bought your Wii this year you most likely won't be able to). If you can do that, install it and the IOS install as well if you want, if not, it won't really help you that much, but you can still do an IOS install if you want to. Then exit the installer.

3. If you did a boot2 install of bootmii, Reboot your Wii and you should be in the bootmii menu. Make sure you have at least 528-540ish MB left on your SD card, use a GC controller to go to the 4th icon, select that, then select the first icon, and follow the prompts to backup your Wii's NAND to your SD card. (If you don't have a GC controller, you can use the power button to go right and reset button to select on the Wii itself.) Think of this as creating a system restore point. You can do this again at any point in time to make another restore point after backing up the old one to your PC. DON'T SKIP THE VERIFICATION.

If you can do up to this successfully you now have a virtually brick proof Wii. If you have a new Wii, you can't do this but as long as you don't do anything stupid you still shouldn't get bricked. Moving on...

4. Run the Trucha Bug Restorer through the homebrew channel now on your system menu by getting the .dol file for it, renaming it to boot.dol, putting it in a Trucha Bug Restorer folder, put that folder in a folder named "apps" which should go on the root of your SD card. Then when you open up the HBC you should see a box with that name written on it. If it has a meta.xml and an icon.png that comes with it, put it in the same folder as the boot.dol for it to make it look neater in the HBC. This goes for any app you run in the future, just change the Trucha Bug Restorer folder part to a folder of whatever app it is. Get the TBR from the video in the next step.

5. In the Trucha Bug Restorer you are going to first downgrade IOS15, then run it again using IOS15 to install an IOS36 with the Trucha Bug, then run it again and restore IOS15 back to normal. Follow the video here to see how to do this properly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrd3oq8hPc...re=channel_page

6. Run Waninkoko's cIOS rev13a installer and use IOS36 and do a network install instead of wad installation (assuming you have wifi of course). Get it from his blog here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...om-ios38-rev-13

That should be enough to install on your Wii to be able to use any backup/usb loader to play any backups or install any wad's on your Wii (using IOS249 in wad manager 1.4) Use NeoGamma R6 for disc based backups or USB Loader GX or Beardface's Coverflow Loader for USB loading.

As for your second question, you don't NEED an external hard drive unless you want to play all of your games off of it with a usb loader instead of using dvd's. USB loader speeds are faster than even retail discs and backup discs would be half as fast as a retail disc. The drive would need to be formatted to a format that will only hold Wii games and nothing else called WBFS or at least have a partition that is formatted to that. Also for general homebrew use any SD card should be fine, but I don't think everything supports SDHC cards just yet, but most things should. Personally I just use an old, small 256 MB sd card for general homebrew use and I have everything I need on that with room to spare still. (Though I did use another 2 GB card I have to backup my NAND for obvious space reasons.)

If you haven't already, use Waninkoko's 4.1 firmware updater after doing this to update to the most recent firmware at the moment. If theres any new updates that you see in the future, browse around here for a bit to see what it is about and what it does before doing anything and see if there are alternative methods to updating such as Waninkoko's updaters. http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...ware-updater-41

You can still play online after doing this, just don't be a jerk and cheat in anything online (Nintendo CAN ban you from all wifi games if they catch you doing it.) You shouldn't have to worry about that if you aren't cheating though. And as long as you are up to date on firmware (preferably through homebrew methods) you can still access the shop channel and such to purchase games. (If you do install a wad of the game before buying it, be sure to delete it through Wad Manager the same way you installed it and not through data management as that would still leave the ticket of the game on the system and may cause problems trying to buy the game while having the ticket for it already.)

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to downgrade to version 3.2 of from 4.0 is there anyway for me to get to 3.2 cause cannot copy this stupid save... and the preloader hack or usb gecko won't let me... and my wii was 3.2 but i update it to 4.0 can i use any region changer with out loseing ciocorps channels and stuff like that? save data? let me know...

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive been trying to dump wii games from the disk onto my USB stick but it doesnt work!!!

Ive tried waninkoko's dvd dumpertool and wiidump and im about to give superdump a go but everytime i do it with waninkoko's it says that it cant write to the USB device and Wiidump says that it cant find the USB device. I found that i need cIOS' things and i tried to install em but i dont have wifi

How can i install the cIOS without wifi?

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
GundamXXX said:
Ive been trying to dump wii games from the disk onto my USB stick but it doesnt work!!!

Ive tried waninkoko's dvd dumpertool and wiidump and im about to give superdump a go but everytime i do it with waninkoko's it says that it cant write to the USB device and Wiidump says that it cant find the USB device. I found that i need cIOS' things and i tried to install em but i dont have wifi

You need to find a cIOS wad which are not allowed on this site so your going to have to find them elsewhere. But best of luck i have never tried a cIOS wad but it would be a good idea if you have a wii to invest in a wireless router.

goku1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a wiki where iso sizes are listed for once they are on a usb drive?
if so where also is it posable to load the decryped games to the drive?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
djda said:
GundamXXX said:

You need to find a cIOS wad which are not allowed on this site so your going to have to find them elsewhere. But best of luck i have never tried a cIOS wad but it would be a good idea if you have a wii to invest in a wireless router.

A cIOS wad isn't necessary for an offline install. You can still use a normal cIOS installer without wifi. You just need the official IOS that it is based on on the root of the sd card and then do a WAD installation through it instead of a network installation. The only difference is that instead of downloading the IOS and patching it, it uses the IOS on the sd card and patches it. Download whatever cIOS revision you want and read the readme to see what exact IOS it needs and get it from the NUS downloader or google. If you don't have the trucha bug and you are upgraded to something higher than 3.2 then you need to get the trucha bug back first for it to work at all. Use the Trucha Bug Restorer to do this. That also has an offline method that requires you to get the necessary official IOS's first.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modding question:

i'm trying to mod my friend's wii. it's a US wii with a serial number LU58.

bootmii had to install as an IOS. homebrew channel and dvdx installed fine.

my question is if i need to take different steps other than those located in this how-to:
http://www.mikeandheth.com/games/109-store...tem-menu-4.html

I stopped after installing the HBC because i obviously don't want to brick his wii by doing something i'm not supposed to.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sweenish said:
Modding question:

my question is if i need to take different steps other than those located in this how-to:

I stopped after installing the HBC because i obviously don't want to brick his wii by doing something i'm not supposed to.

Don't follow that guide. I have heard complaints about it and since a boot2 install didn't work it could be a dangerous method to begin with. Just follow the steps I posted a few posts up. That will work on any Wii of any firmware.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
sweenish said:
Modding question:

Don't follow that guide. I have heard complaints about it and since a boot2 install didn't work it could be a dangerous method to begin with. Just follow the steps I posted a few posts up. That will work on any Wii of any firmware.

thanks for the info.

but as a quick side note, i've had success with no issues on my wii and my cousin's wii using that guide. it works perfectly for older wiis where bootmii installs as boot2

Ell2Cool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys,

ive just been following the ultimate 4.0/4.1 guide but when i get to the point of creating a backup of the NANd, my wiimotes lose sync and cannot select anything on the screen.

what should i do???

Natazza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hiya,

I did a lot of reading when I first got my Wii and successfully used TP to install the homebrew channel.

After getting 002 errors on games, I came back to have a read and OMG so much has changed I'm really lost!

The more I read the more I'm getting confused. I have system menu 3.4E and have just installed Neogamma R6 sucessfully. Some games are now working but some I am still getting the 002 error message or they are booting back to the main menu. I think I have rev7 installed but am not sure how to find out or how to change it to rev 13a (which is the one I think I want from what I have read).

I have been trying to find out how to install Bootmii but am I correct in thinking that I can't install it as it is 3.4E? I have a preloader folder on my sd card (Apps\Preloader0.28) but I admit I blindly followed a guide without really understanding what I was doing and now I am trying to backtrack and really understand what I actually have installed so I don't know if this is actually functional or not.

I really would like brick protection before I start changing anything but I've got square eyes and a frazzled brain from all the reading so any help would be appreciated! I have been a little worried to put a post on here as I have seen some unpleasant replies to people who haven't understood something.
unsure.gif

dewisant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a wii V3.1E HBC 9 and Backup Loader Gamma 0.3 and I think cios 36 rev5.

If I update to cios38 rev13 will Backup Loader Gamma 0.3 still work?
Will I be OK to use WAD installer to update?

I intend to install Neogamma r6 in order to get newer games to play but would like to keep Gamma 0.3 as a channel if I can.

Like a lot here I have been reading for days and keep getting confused as I am not starting from scratch but wanting to upgrade.

Cheers

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ell2Cool said:
hi guys,

ive just been following the ultimate 4.0/4.1 guide but when i get to the point of creating a backup of the NANd, my wiimotes lose sync and cannot select anything on the screen.

what should i do???

Bootmii doesn't have Wiimote support. You need a GC controller. If you have a boot2 install you CAN use the power button to move right and reset to select from the Wii itself. If it's only the IOS version you can't do anything but use a GC controller.

Natazza said:
Hiya,

I did a lot of reading when I first got my Wii and successfully used TP to install the homebrew channel.

After getting 002 errors on games, I came back to have a read and OMG so much has changed I'm really lost!

The more I read the more I'm getting confused. I have system menu 3.4E and have just installed Neogamma R6 sucessfully. Some games are now working but some I am still getting the 002 error message or they are booting back to the main menu. I think I have rev7 installed but am not sure how to find out or how to change it to rev 13a (which is the one I think I want from what I have read).

I have been trying to find out how to install Bootmii but am I correct in thinking that I can't install it as it is 3.4E? I have a preloader folder on my sd card (Apps\Preloader0.28) but I admit I blindly followed a guide without really understanding what I was doing and now I am trying to backtrack and really understand what I actually have installed so I don't know if this is actually functional or not.

I really would like brick protection before I start changing anything but I've got square eyes and a frazzled brain from all the reading so any help would be appreciated! I have been a little worried to put a post on here as I have seen some unpleasant replies to people who haven't understood something.
unsure.gif

Getting preloader on 3.4 was pretty useless and I don't know how you managed to come to the conclusion that bootmii wouldn't be able to be installed on 3.4 and preloader would. As soon as you update, preloader will be gone. Bootmii can be installed on anything and will survive any update if you can do a boot2 install on your Wii, which you will be able to as long as your Wii is over about a year old.

Download the cIOS rev13a installer http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...om-ios38-rev-13
Change the .dol in that to boot.dol, put it in a cIOS installer folder, put that folder in the "apps" folder which should be on the root of your sd card. Then put the card back in your Wii and load the HBC and click on that cIOS installer and load it. Then when it prompts for what IOS to use, use IOS249 since you havae rev7 installed. Then do a network installation, provided you have wifi.

Then run the hackmii installer in the same way but rename the installer.elf to boot.elf instead. (Get it from www.bootmii.org or just follow the auto update in the HBC if it is prompting you to do it.) Then through that, install the updated HBC, and then if you can, install bootmii to boot2, then exit and reboot your Wii. Use a GC controller to select the 4th icon and then the 1st icon on the next page. Then follow instructions to backup your NAND to your SD card (needs about 540 MB).

This is all the brick protection you need.

After you do that use Waninkoko's 4.1 updater (run in through the HBC in a similar fashion to the above). This should get rid of preloader and update any IOS's you need to update which may get rid of some of those rebooting problems with games.

QUOTE(dewisant @ Jul 25 2009, 07:32 AM)
I have a wii V3.1E HBC 9 and Backup Loader Gamma 0.3 and I think cios 36 rev5.

If I update to cios38 rev13 will Backup Loader Gamma 0.3 still work?
Will I be OK to use WAD installer to update?

I intend to install Neogamma r6 in order to get newer games to play but would like to keep Gamma 0.3 as a channel if I can.

Like a lot here I have been reading for days and keep getting confused as I am not starting from scratch but wanting to upgrade.

Cheers

Just don't use gamma 0.3 anymore. Delete the channel. Install this one: http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=165485
It looks EXACTLY the same as that channel and will autoboot discs just the same except it will use NeoGamma R6 instead. And yes update to rev13a ASAP from that link above to waninkoko's blog. Rev5 is ancient. Just have it use IOS249 when installing it.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't know how much help can this be but......can anyone with IRC's and chatrooms knowledge create a room like #wiihackhelpGBATemp or #noobparadiseGBATemp on efnet.org or someplace like that so this can be a little bit more faster, I see like 2 or 3 pages ago, some unanswered questions that got lost, I tryed to create a channel on the "GBATemp chatroom" , but I'm to noob (for not saying dumb) to create it...!!
wacko.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just made a channel on GlobalGamers.net:

For IRC:
Server: GlobalGamers.net
Channel: GBAtempNoobParadise

Alternatively through your web browser:
http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
Put in your nickname, and then #GBAtempNoobParadise in the channel box.

Edit: Scratch that...It doesn't let you type in the full channel name since it's too long. Just leave the channel name blank and then when it connects to the server type:
/j #GBAtempNoobParadise

Another method through web browser:
http://www.mibbit.com/chat/
Select globalgamers in the drop down tab, put your nick, and put #GBAtempNoobParadise in the channel name.

You can also use pidgin to connect to it as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol