aN4rK1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,
I have a few questions.
I just successfully modded my wii and put an USB loader on my wii using this guide:
http://www.biline.ca/wii_softmod.htm

I got some games from my friend and 90% of the games did not load in the Backup loader.
I was wonder why that is so?

Also, is this method the most upto date?
If not, what is the most uptodate method to add a backup loader, USB loader, NGC backup loader and a homebrew channel?
Thank you!

subnet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, changing gears for a second. I'm really unsure what's going on here, and I couldn't find a thread that dealt with the issue directly.

I'm using a launch-day Wii. I used the offline updater to update to 4.0u as discussed in http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835. The upgrade was run from a 1GB SD card.

Today, I bought a 8GB SDHC Sandisk card found at BB, copied my files over, and put it in the Wii.

Selecting the Wii system menu in BootMii loads HBC, but that's not the problem. HBC reads the SD card with no problems that I can see. When I do get to the system menu (by exiting HBC) and load the SD card screen, it will not read the card, stating that it can't be used. The 1GB card I started with has no problem.

I really wanted the space for my channels! Any thoughts on what's going on here? Anything I can try to get it going? Why does it work in HBC and not system menu?

grentuu

Trophies
XP
Country
I had the same problem, it seems to be something to do with the sdhc cards. I took my 4gb back and bought 2 Kingston 2gb card and they worked great.

Dark2

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a Wii with wiikey, 3.2E and ISO37. (I have the Homebrew channel installed) But planing on buying Grand Slam Tennis with Wii Motionplus but that game needs a FW update. Can I update without any risk? Or is it some software so that I can start the game through and still have 3.2E.

questXtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Okay, this is probably the best place for me to ask this, so...
Is it safe to update my hardmodded wiikey 2 Wii which has homebrew channel and backup launcher installed (which makes it soft modded as well right?) from firmware 3.2U to 4.0U normally with the Nintendo Update?

subnet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
grentuu said:
I had the same problem, it seems to be something to do with the sdhc cards. I took my 4gb back and bought 2 Kingston 2gb card and they worked great.

I thought 4.0 introduced support for SDHC... when I was searching for a solution, there was a large number of threads where it worked in the sys menu and not HBC.

I'd found another thread with a similar issue that fingered BootMii as the culprit. If it works in one, it should work in the other, right? I mean, we know the hardware will read it. There's got to be some kind of fix.

skimo

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey, i have one of the first pal wii's , hardmodded with a first generation Wii-key.
I havent used the Wii in a while, i remember the mario galaxy didnt work because of the new protection.

What do i have to do to play recent backups? Can i just patch Isos? update Wiikey ? or do i have to do an entire new mod?

Firmware is 3.2e

Thx in advance

mfalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a wii that i believe i need to use gamma .3 to run any games. I have made some discs ok but it seems that the new ones do not work ie grand slam tennis. Do I need to update or add a homebrew, or should i go to a usb launcher or ciso. Any advice would be helpful.

wertyqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
wertyqa said:
wertyqa said:
Firmware: 3.1E
Modchip: Wasabi V1 fw1.4b

Problem:
Some of the backups give blank screen after game start. Even original 'Guiter Hero: Metallica' gives this error. And console freezes.

Question1:
Do I need to update the console to solve this problem?

Q2:
If so. Which firmware version is the safest for me? I only want to play originals and backups. Have not ever tried any homebrew. Or wiiware. Those might be on the list in the future thou.

Q3:
Is bricking possible due to firmware ccompatibility problems? If so - how to prevent it?

Thank you.
Ok. After few hours of searching and reading, it seems that I need to install IOS38, 53 and 55. This prevents blank screens and freezing the console.

BUT. Can I get them to work on fw3.1E? If not, what´s the best fw for me with wasabi v1 fw1.4b? Or better yet - does it even matter what modchip and fw I have?

If I update to fw 4.0, does it exclude older backups like Zelda from working (read: twilight hack disabled)?

I know there are a lot of questions but for a guy who does not on a day-to-day basis hack his wii (wow that sounds some what nasty) this can get really confusing.
Thanks ether2802 for answering.

I did update to fw 3.4E from "Punch Out". Before that I installed HBC and BootMii. Everything seems to work now just fine. We´ll see...

noon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii is 3.4U
I've used BootMii to backup my NAND using boot2 method
I used Trucha Bug Restorer 1.0 to downgrade IOS15, patch IOS36, restore IOS15
I installed cIOS36_rev10-Installer offline

I have some general questions that my research has failed to provide me with (here, Waninkoko, Google..).

Why are there so many IOS patches that result in the same thing? Some people patch IOS60, the Trucha Bug Restore has a IOS35 menu to patch that, IOS249, I used IOS36. Is it because of different system menu versions? Though all the ones I've read claim to be "Wii 4.0 and below compatible"

Any advantage to upgrading to system menu 4.0? Most guides are too busy talking about what to do rather than why. 4.0 as I know it gives SDHC support. My homebrew and loaders already do this, is there some other reason I should upgrade to 4?

What exactly does my cIOS10 do? (ok not exactly..) This allows for backup loaders as I have come to understand, and IOS36 patch was critical in being able to install cIOS10. But why so many versions? I've heard of Preloader protecting against FW updates, does cIOS10 do this at all? I don't really want to go off the deep-end hacking things I dont understand. If I can't use the disc channel without installing Preloader I am ok with that...

Help appreciated

Bigphil001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I'm a noob at softmodding the wii, so I had someone do it for me. Everything worked great for months. Then my sister bough a wii, and I synced my wiimotes up with hers.

Then I started my wii, and the preloader screen comes up, and I cannot sync my wiimote to the wii in order to get past the preloader screen and to the sysyem menu.

Can I hook up a gamecube remote to get past the preloader screen and then re sync my wiimotes back up?

Any help would be much appreciated!

coolmoose09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi there, my wii has SU 4.0 and i have WAD manager installed, etc.

I am trying to install some WiiWare WADs that I have on my SD card using the WAD manager 1.4 and IOS249, and it works great. However, when I copy the resulting wiiware channel to my SD card and try to launch the game from there, it says 'failed to launch'. I have tried this with multiple SD cards (SD and SDHC) and the same thing happens on each one. Is there a step I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

KennyBania

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, I have used the VERY helpful guides here to softmod my Wii myself and am proud of it but there's still some questions I haven't had answered as I rushed through the process.

1. I am using USB Loader GX - is it possible to have all of the games on my HDD have their own launchable channel in the original Wii menu that loads at startup?

If not, can I at least have a channel for the loader without having to load the Homebrew Channel and search for it each time?

(Those two are more for my Dad, I really want to set it up as easy as possible for him to use so I can buy him a Wii
smile.gif
)

2. I am using 3.2E with cios36 rev9 (the only one I could get to work with any usb loader) - is it normal to not be able to load the official Wii Shopping Channel?

3. Obviously with our softmodded Wii's we do not go crazy and download official Nintendo firmware updates but can we still use online features in games and news, weather, shopping channels etc?

4. Forgive me for not researching deep enough but can we also have Gamecube games in the same list as Wii games on our HDD for usb loaders?

5. Similar question but for Wiiware and Emulators - or can they only be run off an SD card?

I think that's all I need to know, any replies would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

wiimanizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please tell me, what makes a difference of why when i install a ISO from wbfs showing that its 3.94gb and when i go into USB loader 1.5 to install it by DVD, it shows 4.10gb? i thought they'd come up the same size, no?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
antispam246 said:
Hi, I'm trying to resolve a backup issue I'm having with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm using the GX 1.0 usb loader and when I start backing up this game it gets to 0.74% then it seems to freeze, i can move the wii cursor around but it doesn't like it's backing up anything more. I noticed it's a dual layer disc as it's 6.80GB in size, is the issue with this? Can it be resolved?

EDIT: May have resolved the issue myself. But I'd still like to know why it happened.

I left it and went to backup my Aerosmith GH disc. I got the same issue, stopped at 28.x% I retried it, it stopped at 5x% then on the 3rd attempt it backed up all the way. So I then retried smash bros and it installed all the way 2nd attempt. Problem solved but issue unknown.
Can be the cIOS your are using, or the Loader itself, I use cIOS_r10 and CFG Loader and I have never have this issues

thomas_fogh said:
I used the following guide to enable homebrew: 3.1-3.4 Twilight/Downgrade/Gamma Tutorial, All in one
It has been working fine... I bought "EA Sports Active" but the screen just goes black, when I try to start it.
How do I fix this?

Thanks!

BR, Thomas Fogh
you have two options, use WUFE and extract the update partition to your SD, then install the IOSes 38-53-55 with Wad Manager, or just update to 4.0 (if you already have a cIOS installed)

davidcrivoi said:
Hey guys

I know this might sound really wierd but anyway here goes: i am living in indonesia but am from australia with an original PAL Wii and have paid someone here to put the backup launcher 0.3 gamma IOS249 and works fine except that a few games that i bought here work and some do not. there is a cant read dvd error please eject and turn wii off, that comes up after i load the games from the launcher and i have tried all the different settings with the same result. For example i have a call of duty world at war game which starts to load and then before the main menu comes up with that error. it is a copied game bought at a shop but from that same shop other games work as well. could it be the game itself or something that i should at to my wii system? also i downloaded this game: [isoHunt] [Wii]Resident_Evil_Archives[PAL][ESPALWii[1].com].rar and burned it and it just loads half way and error so if someone can please help me would be highly appreciated.
PS: I dont have zelda the original disk so if i wanted to install homebrew could i do it with a fake one thanks...
The DRE (Disc Read Error) is mostly because your media is pretty bad and shitty, you need to use better media, and apparently some Wii lasers only read DVD-R, also you should update your loader to NeoGamma, it is way better and it is the same base, you dont need Zelda anymore to install HBC again, use bannerbomb...!!
smile.gif

QUOTE(Noltron @ Jul 11 2009, 05:05 PM)
I could do research but I would like to go the faster route. When I'm installing bootmii what should I install?

1) Install bootmii as IOS
2) Install bootmii as boot2
3a) Install both (first install as IOS and than as boot2)
3b) Install both (first install as boot2 and than as IOS)

Edit: Oops sorry for double posting
just install it as boot2 if possible, if not, then as a IOS, but not both, no problem at all, it just isnt needed...!!
smile.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Link5084 said:
Why does my Eject button act as the Power button on my Wii? It doesn't eject the disc, just powers up my Wii. How come?
You have preloader installed and your Wii is in OFF (not standby)...!!
smile.gif

aN4rK1 said:
Hello,
I have a few questions.
I just successfully modded my wii and put an USB loader on my wii using this guide:
http://www.biline.ca/wii_softmod.htm

I got some games from my friend and 90% of the games did not load in the Backup loader.
I was wonder why that is so?

Also, is this method the most upto date?
If not, what is the most uptodate method to add a backup loader, USB loader, NGC backup loader and a homebrew channel?
Thank you!

Well I wont read a guide, but I believe you are using old tools, maybe try using other cIOS too, search around for the latest ones, Eg.

For Wii games on DVD use NeoGamma
For GC games use GC backup launcher 0.2
For USB loader, just find the latest one of the CFG Loader by Oggzee

Dark2 said:
I have a Wii with wiikey, 3.2E and ISO37. (I have the Homebrew channel installed) But planing on buying Grand Slam Tennis with Wii Motionplus but that game needs a FW update. Can I update without any risk? Or is it some software so that I can start the game through and still have 3.2E.
Ue WUFE to extract the update partition of the game and then use Wad Manager to install IOSes 38-53-55

QUOTE(questXtreme @ Jul 12 2009, 06:07 AM)
Okay, this is probably the best place for me to ask this, so...
Is it safe to update my hardmodded wiikey 2 Wii which has homebrew channel and backup launcher installed (which makes it soft modded as well right?) from firmware 3.2U to 4.0U normally with the Nintendo Update?
Yep it is safe...!!
smile.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
GizmoDVD said:
I am now on 4.0 using this guide:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

How do I put some of the programs on my channel page? For instance, I'd like to put a loader there so I don't have to open the Homebrew channel each time.

Search at wadder.net for channels, you can find there channels for many apps

skimo said:
Hey, i have one of the first pal wii's , hardmodded with a first generation Wii-key.
I havent used the Wii in a while, i remember the mario galaxy didnt work because of the new protection.

What do i have to do to play recent backups? Can i just patch Isos? update Wiikey ? or do i have to do an entire new mod?

Firmware is 3.2e

Thx in advance

install IOSes 38-53-55, and a cIOS_r9 or r10, and if some game gives youtrouble simply run it thru the NeoGamma loader

mfalcon said:
I have a wii that i believe i need to use gamma .3 to run any games. I have made some discs ok but it seems that the new ones do not work ie grand slam tennis. Do I need to update or add a homebrew, or should i go to a usb launcher or ciso. Any advice would be helpful.

just update your cIOS to r9 or r10, and use NeoGamma Launcher, yours it is too outdated

QUOTE(noon @ Jul 13 2009, 01:12 PM) My Wii is 3.4U
I've used BootMii to backup my NAND using boot2 method
I used Trucha Bug Restorer 1.0 to downgrade IOS15, patch IOS36, restore IOS15
I installed cIOS36_rev10-Installer offline

I have some general questions that my research has failed to provide me with (here, Waninkoko, Google..).

Why are there so many IOS patches that result in the same thing? Some people patch IOS60, the Trucha Bug Restore has a IOS35 menu to patch that, IOS249, I used IOS36. Is it because of different system menu versions? Though all the ones I've read claim to be "Wii 4.0 and below compatible"
Every IOS responds to a different matter, and maybe they are the same pathc but they certainly dont srve for the same thing, the patch on IOS60 is to allow fake channels to be played from the SD menu on FW4.0

Any advantage to upgrading to system menu 4.0? Most guides are too busy talking about what to do rather than why. 4.0 as I know it gives SDHC support. My homebrew and loaders already do this, is there some other reason I should upgrade to 4?
They all do this cause it has the SD loading thingy, Im happily married to 3.2 tho

What exactly does my cIOS10 do? (ok not exactly..) This allows for backup loaders as I have come to understand, and IOS36 patch was critical in being able to install cIOS10. But why so many versions? I've heard of Preloader protecting against FW updates, does cIOS10 do this at all? I don't really want to go off the deep-end hacking things I dont understand. If I can't use the disc channel without installing Preloader I am ok with that...
Well the cIOS makes the DVD/SD/USB work, they is so many versions, cause one fixes the bugs the other had, but sometimes the loading time is worse, so Im on version as it is the most stable, preloader is a completely different app, that it can block updates form discs and save you from banner bricks
Help appreciated

QUOTE(Bigphil001 @ Jul 13 2009, 06:36 PM)
Ok, so I'm a noob at softmodding the wii, so I had someone do it for me. Everything worked great for months. Then my sister bough a wii, and I synced my wiimotes up with hers.

Then I started my wii, and the preloader screen comes up, and I cannot sync my wiimote to the wii in order to get past the preloader screen and to the sysyem menu.

Can I hook up a gamecube remote to get past the preloader screen and then re sync my wiimotes back up?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Yes you can do that, but should set preloader to autoboot the SysMenu, so you dont have to boot the system menu everytime...!!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    She saw the sign and it opened up her mind lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All that she wants, is another storefront.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The homeless live in the compactors at Walmart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, new south park releases at midnight sadly no leaks yet damn companies are learning
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea tomorrow, I'll just torrent it and watch. Its about diet pills and Cartman losing weight or something.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Funny part is my brother did that injection thing
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Funny part is my brother did that injection thing